R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DraKhen99
Default TC3 Brushless question

Has anyone dropped Novak's SS Brushless motor into their TC3?

If so, what gearing did you find was optimum, and what temperatures did the motor run at? I have read on Novak's web site to start at the stock gearing, which is a 24 tooth pinion and however many teeth my spur gear has on it.

Also, how many teeth are on the stock spur gear for a TC3?

Thanks!
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Check out Hacker's web site. They have gearing info for there motors on the TC3. I have sceen the Hacker run and its very fast, as close to a nitro with a 2spd that I have ever sceen an electric run. I have sold several if each and customer's seem to like the Hackers.

ECHOLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i run 64 pitch 100 tooth spur with a 34 or a 35 tooth pinion depending on the track lay out

Stock spur gear i belive is a 48 pitch 72 tooth gear so 25 tooth pinion would be a good starting point
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #4

Can I use other esc like quantum competition or mc800c on hacker brushless motor? hacker master esc is too big.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

unfortunaly not.. you have to use an ESC designed for a BL motor. im not sure if you can use a novak bl esc with a hacker bl motor or vise versa.

any one know.................
#60 of the Original 100
Old 07-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

The tc3's I've seen run with the BL's were all using Novaks. They geared them 72/28 and they flew. Motor never got warm but the esc got kind of warm. I've heard of novaks getting geared as high as 72/32 and they didn't burn up.
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to blknblubkrdude

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC
im not sure if you can use a novak bl esc with a hacker bl motor or vise versa.

any one know.................

No you cannot, because the Novak is a "censored"(sp?) style esc, the hacker motors are not for those style esc's. A "censored"(sp) system will give you fine throttle control, not as choppy as the hackers. Plus you will not have to use a seperate reciever pack to reduce the cogging. thats why most people not looking for all out speed buy the SS: because its easy to control because of the sharp reaction to throttle inputs.
blknblubkrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:32 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Ok, so you're running a 100 spur / 34 pinion, on a TC3?

The SuperSport instruction manual says to run gear ratios from 6.5:1 to 7.3:1. Sounds good to me, a 7.3x drive ratio... just on the cusp, for some nice top end, eh?

I think I will be running the stock 72 tooth spur with a 25 tooth pinion, which, when matched with the 2.5:1 diff ratio, will give me a 7.2:1 ratio. I think this will be a good starting point.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
Tech Elite

please correct me if i am wrong , the closer you get the a final drive ratio of 6.5:1 the more top end you will have, and the closer you get to a final drive ratio of 7.3:1 the for Torque you will have.

yes i run a tc3, the reason i use 64 pitch is so i can fine tune the final ratio. if i can make it to socal tonight, i am plannin on running a final of 7.0 :1 that being a 98 tooth spur and a 35 tooth pinion
#60 of the Original 100
Old 07-08-2003, 07:18 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: TC3 Brushless question

Quote:
Originally posted by DraKhen99
Has anyone dropped Novak's SS Brushless motor into their TC3?

If so, what gearing did you find was optimum, and what temperatures did the motor run at? I have read on Novak's web site to start at the stock gearing, which is a 24 tooth pinion and however many teeth my spur gear has on it.

Also, how many teeth are on the stock spur gear for a TC3?

Thanks!
Hi,
I don't have the TC3 but my brother and I both have the Novak Brushless System. My brother has his in a T1R and I use mine in a TB EvoII.
We both geared at the recommended FDR of 7.3:1 and we have found the gearing to be spot on for our cars.
The motor is barely warm and the ESC is warm to hot but well within a good range.

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Well,

I got my Novak SS Brushless tonite, and dropped it into my TC3, along with a 25 tooth pinion [6.67:1 FDR]. Acceleration was insane, top end was way higher than my EPIC 19t Outlaw Pro [with 21 tooth pinion].

Then I dropped in the 27 tooth pinion [7.2 FDR] with the brushless, and ran against an HPI Super Nitro and an OFNA OB-4, both highly hopped up [the OFNA was running a Novarossi crankcase with a 3 port STS sleeve/piston and an STS carb, the Super Nitro was running a 5 port STS i believe]. Either way, for a scale 1/4 mile I ate them alive. They only caught up once they hit 2nd gear.

Very fast, probably in the 40+ mph range. Hopefully someone I run with will bring their radar gun on Friday night.

Truly, I am impressed. And my runtimes were in the 10 minute range, depending on how many high speed runs I was doing.

On temperature, I found that the ESC hit about 125 - 130, while the motor topped out at 135 or so. All in all, not too warm. I am going to run the 27 tooth pinion for a while, and may try a 28 tooth, even though that would put the FDR outside of Novak's recommended range of 6.5:1 to 7.3:1