R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default upgrading a 15T Firebolt to a 15T orion, worth it??

I'm getting a new HPI sprint sport 2 rtr, comes with a a 15T motor. (Firebolt 15 Turn, from what I've understood ) I guess it must be one of the cheaper 15T... Been trying to find out

My question is, If I get a quality 15T like an Orion, such as this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ4&P=7

will the performance increase be noticeable at all?

I've read that some quality 19T are just as fast as the low cost 15Turn... so there must be quite a difference between quality 15T and low cost 15T motors... right?

I used to have a brushless novak ss5800 (supersport) and it seemed quite fast, but some compared it to a good 14 or 15T... guess that the Orion would fall under this category?

Should I replace the Firebolt?
Please advise. Thanks!
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Stick with your 5800.

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Tech Adept

As I said, I don't have a 5800 anymore.

So the question is, will I see a difference if I switch the 15T firebolt to a better 15T?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Tech Master

First what speedo do you have ?

Second, the pro BB is a low range motor not a fast one at all, it might be faster than your firebolt but probly not by muh, if any.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I don't have the vehicle yet, I'm about to order it. According to Towerhobbies its a "SC-15 forward & reverse". I could not find any details or confirmation on HPI's website. The only thing I know is that it won't handle anything below 15 turns.

If the Pro BB is not that good, what other choice do I have?

I'm trying to get more people into the hobby, the idea is to find a nice and relatively cheap (and somehow fast) setup but the problem is the speed of the entry level electrics... So I'm looking for the next best thing... going brushless ($140) would be too much, so I'm looking for just swapping the motor for a better one (within ESC specs) and adding some good quality batteries.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default Motor suggestion

I have owned one Orion motor and I considered it to be poor quality (a.k.a., junk). It is possible that the Formula SV2's are better but I have never used one.

I will make a suggestion that I have made before to others with similar questions: Find yourself a good used (or even new) "ARCOR" 19T handwound motor. The ARCOR handwounds were very popular about a year ago, but the organization folded and very few people run the 19T handwound motors any more. But racers have loads of them laying around. One that was one tenth of a second off the pace for a serious oval racer will still be better than a cheap mod 15T. I have seen two brand new ones for sale recently on hobbytalk (www.hobbytalk.com) for like $20 (http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=212639). A good 19T handwound will easily be more powerful than a mediocre quality 15T motor.

I think so highly of these that I am not even going to offer to sell you any of mine. I like them too much. But I am sure you can find some good ones for good prices. If you buy a used motor, be sure to ask about the com size. For best life, you want want that has not been retrued too many times. That translates to a com size of .285 or larger.

If you can't find an ARCOR handwound, you will do just about as well with a 19T machine wound motor like a Chameleon or an Ultrabird. Do not get a Komodo Dragon - they are high RPM, high current draw motors meant for racing and will require much more maintenance. I can sell you new Chameleons or Ultrabirds for $20 plus shipping, but try to find an ARCOR motor first.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
I don't have the vehicle yet, I'm about to order it. According to Towerhobbies its a "SC-15 forward & reverse". I could not find any details or confirmation on HPI's website. The only thing I know is that it won't handle anything below 15 turns.

If the Pro BB is not that good, what other choice do I have?

I'm trying to get more people into the hobby, the idea is to find a nice and relatively cheap (and somehow fast) setup but the problem is the speed of the entry level electrics... So I'm looking for the next best thing... going brushless ($140) would be too much, so I'm looking for just swapping the motor for a better one (within ESC specs) and adding some good quality batteries.
Well I wouldn't change motor without changing the ESC. I wouldn't use a proper motor for racing on anything else than a speedo meant for racing. So if you want to go quicker, you'll have to get a speedo as well as a motor. I wouldn't trust at all what they tell you on the specs. If you try putting a faster motor, you'll blow your speedo that's garanteed.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
Tech Adept

thanks for the replies, I figure the ESC included is not race equipment. If I have to change the ESC as well, then I'd throw in a castle sidewinder or similar as well... but then the final price is more than what most beginners would be willing to pay for.