R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default HELP! Airtronics M8 & Centering Problem

I'm actually posting this to try to help a friend. He has an Airtronics M8 radio which he's only had for about a year. Since I've never owned an Airtronics radio, I wasn't sure on how to help him. Before explaining the problem, please keep these things in mind:

- Problem tends to occur more with micro servos rather than standard sized servos.
- He doesn't use digital servos.
- We tested with several different servos along with my Futaba 3PKS & 3PJS to eliminate the servos as being the cause.
- We also tried switching between his Spektrum and FM modules and receivers to narrow the problem down to the radio.

The problem is that after turning (this is with no load on the servo), the servo will try to center itself slowly back to center and then it will more or less stay in the center even after he tries turning the wheel. again. We noticed that after a while, the servo housing will start to get warm and if left on long enough, it will get hot. Please let me know if you had this problem and what needed to be done to correct it. My guess is that it may be related to a high speed response setting on the radio like the 3PK where it is only to be used with digital servos. He says that it isn't on, but I know he has a tendency to try to maximize his settings and either not remember he did it or doesn't want to say that he is using certain settings. Your suggestions will be very appreciated before we decide to send it back to Airtronics for repair.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

A friend of mine had some centering problems with his radio. Sounds like it might be similar. He sent his radio to Airtronics and got it back working great. Send Flyer107 a PM and he can tell you exactly what they fixed. good luck.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I had an issue on my M8 years ago. If you slowly turned the wheel the steering servo would go full lock then back to the position it was in before. It was a bad potentiometer in the radio. It cost $25 including shipping to get it fixed.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
I had an issue on my M8 years ago. If you slowly turned the wheel the steering servo would go full lock then back to the position it was in before. It was a bad potentiometer in the radio. It cost $25 including shipping to get it fixed.
Thanks, this sounds like the exact same problem & I was afraid it would be that.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote