R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Air travel with RC gear

From what I've been reading in a few random threads, it seems that air travel with RC gear is no big deal. For those who do this, do you typically try to pack everything into your carry-on? Do you get hassled at security?

I'd like to my Mini, radio, some NiMH stick packs and a charger on a flight later this month, and plan on packing it all into a carry-on bag. Tools will go into my checked-in suitcase.

Thoughts? Experiences?
sportsracer-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Radio and cars should be no problem on your carry on, I always take the batts out of my radio just to avoid confusion. I'd check the tools, batts, chargers, etc.. When I left Seattle after the nats they did open my radio case and check it out, but didn't give me any real problems about it.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sportsracer are you going to Montana this weekend so are we. I carried two 1/12 and one TC on board last summer and went though hell
CVETTE From PRCP
Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In a backpack, I put my transmitter wrapped with a single change of clothes inside my body shell. This fit in one compartment, and my laptop and it's charger fit into another compartment.

In my carry-on, I packed my charger, discharger, soldering iron, batteries and tires, along with another change of clothes. In my check-in bag were the rest of my clothes wrapped around things like my tools in a plastic bin, tire lathe, comm lathe and other things that are needed but not-as-essential and can be borrowed type items, as well as fluids all individually zip locked (shock oils, diff grease, super glue, etc). I also put all my spares in separate zip-lock baggies in the same bin in a checked bag.

Be sure the checked bag doesn't go over the weight limit, there are extra charges for over-weight baggage. Don't bring spray cans, get that stuff at the event.

Be prepared to have all your carry-on stuff searched and sniffed. It's not that bad a deal. Be nice to the person running the sniffer and explain things to them in simple terms that they can understand. When you tell them that you race toy cars, they will actually start to get interested in what you have from a curious stand point in-stead of a let's find the bomb point of view. Give yourself extra time to get though the check point specifically for this reason.

Pat yourself on the back for not losing the vital parts for you to compete wherever you are flying to. I have traveled to a bunch of different races this way with equal success.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallyBQuiK View Post
Sportsracer are you going to Montana this weekend so are we. I carried two 1/12 and one TC on board last summer and went though hell
CVETTE From PRCP
Not quite... going to DC to bash Minis with my newphews (all under 12) in their school parking lot. Game on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
In a backpack, I put my transmitter wrapped with a single change of clothes inside my body shell. This fit in one compartment, and my laptop and it's charger fit into another compartment.
In my carry-on, I packed my charger, discharger, soldering iron, batteries and tires, along with another change of clothes. In my check-in bag were the rest of my clothes wrapped around things like my tools in a plastic bin, tire lathe, comm lathe and other things that are needed but not-as-essential and can be borrowed type items, as well as fluids all individually zip locked (shock oils, diff grease, super glue, etc). I also put all my spares in separate zip-lock baggies in the same bin in a checked bag.
Thanks, Timmay, for the details. I'll give that a try.
sportsracer-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Also something you can do to cut down the hassel if you even get one is to take a few Magazines in the bag with your car and radio.

I take a flier for the race with me in the mag. also.