R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to hamster778

Hi guys

I got my first type r when i first came out over here in the UK. I still love it now. Over here, i am one of the very few running the car. This is without any help from the importer too.

I have been running 5 cell b/l mod all year and nearly got there with the setup. Now i'm within striking if the top guys.

I have tried the car in stock with a lipo, and won all rounds and in pro stock with lipo again its great.

Last sunday, a mate tried one of my spares ( i have 4 1/5 type r's) as he broke his normal car. He had the best race ever, from 5th on the grid, straight through to the lead and on to lap nearly everyone. Now he wants to have one from me.

Watching it go round was a little odd, but it looked so composed out there, stable in the corners and so fast on the straights.

Long live Team Losi

Tim
hamster778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

they *did* years of R&D on this car... after the released the original jrx-s too early and almost immediately the team drivers switched to the type-r.

seriously, the car might have a bad reputation, but it's completely undeserved. this car is nothing like the jrx-s, and even that car wasn't all that bad...
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks to Larry and Mike for their input on the situation...I love what you've been able to accomplish with the car, even though Losi/Horizon refuses for whatever reason to sponsor you guys...why?

What if you guys were racing AE, Xray, etc...? Then what will they do with the car?

I just want to know the car is being actively being refined and researched and looking for ways to improve performance, even if its great right now, which seems to be the case...

Why have they let go their top drivers? What's the real story? Does it have to do anything with the lawsuit?
Xtreme2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I think you'll see cars made by other companies that look like the losi real soon.
You mean like the Team Magic E4?

I think you're right...the Team Magic E4 is was defenitely based on the Type R...but looking at the E4, I still think the Type R is superieor...

1) Wrenching- the type R design is much more open and easy to access all parts for super easy wrenching and manitanance...the E4 looks like its all very tight and looks like a pain to access wheelbase changes, anti-squat/pro-squat, etc...

2) Adjustability- the TYpe R is still more adjustable than the E4, cause you change diff height, and have more camber link and roll center options than the e4, as well was more wheel base playing room.

3) Type R parts are much cheaper and more easily available than the E4, at least for now...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This car is so LiPo ready they quit making the heavy LiPo tray. Figure that one out.

I get what you guys are saying, but it does feel like Losi has abandoned on-road, in spite of a lot of really good guys trying to keep things going. Nobody wants to go down with a sinking ship. How about the half-ass one-way they released instead of the prototype they'd worked on? And nearly every sedan has flex tuning options, regardless of whether or not everybody agrees on their value.

The car is great, but it's become apparent Losi doesn't care about on-road. I can't bring myself to support a company that's no longer interested in my style of racing. Sorry.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
This car is so LiPo ready they quit making the heavy LiPo tray. Figure that one out.

I get what you guys are saying, but it does feel like Losi has abandoned on-road, in spite of a lot of really good guys trying to keep things going. Nobody wants to go down with a sinking ship. How about the half-ass one-way they released instead of the prototype they'd worked on? And nearly every sedan has flex tuning options, regardless of whether or not everybody agrees on their value.

The car is great, but it's become apparent Losi doesn't care about on-road. I can't bring myself to support a company that's no longer interested in my style of racing. Sorry.
THats exactly how I feel...so why has this happened with Losi? Why would they "abandon" their TC on-road program? Do you really think Todd hodge met with Dumas and the rest of their team drivers and told them: " you know what guys, I think Losi would save lots of money if we released you guys, and just have Larry, Jason, and Mike run these cars..." Yeah right...What relation ship does Larry, Jason, and Mike have with Losi? Are they 50% drivers? Does losi at least know who they are? Do they get discounts at least? Probably not...that sucks....Its these guys that have been running the car out of pure love for the car and the company, and they could easily be factory drivers for other companies and have all the support and be winning more often with more opportunities...isnt Losi afraid of loosing them too?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

One of the important things in this Hobby is having cars that feel real good going around the track on a weekly basis. I Race Direct one of the local tracks in the area (360 Raceway) and I think one of the important things in racing is getting a car hooked up, and that's where I think the Type R really shines. Plus I'm very lucky to have someone like Mike Haynes working on set-ups week in and week out, giving input to the Locals and helping with set-up and tire combos. From Newbies to seasoned drivers, it's important to get hooked up right away.

Many accomplished Drivers won't give all there speed secrets and complete set-ups out but when you get a Hot Shoe willing to share all his knowledge of a product, it makes the Racer feel safe of his purchase and right away He sees his car dialed for the day's racing.

This car, flat out is fun to Drive and it really does not need anything else. I also get to see Jason and Larry come down and mix it up with us and the info that is givin out to the Locals is priceless.......... Bottom line, great car with a great group of Guys representin', having a great time and getting the results......... Probably the reason that 90% of the Drivers at our track run Losi and are very happy with the results they get on a weekly basis.

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme2008 View Post
THats exactly how I feel...so why has this happened with Losi? Why would they "abandon" their TC on-road program? Do you really think Todd hodge met with Dumas and the rest of their team drivers and told them: " you know what guys, I think Losi would save lots of money if we released you guys, and just have Larry, Jason, and Mike run these cars..." Yeah right...What relation ship does Larry, Jason, and Mike have with Losi? Are they 50% drivers? Does losi at least know who they are? Do they get discounts at least? Probably not...that sucks....Its these guys that have been running the car out of pure love for the car and the company, and they could easily be factory drivers for other companies and have all the support and be winning more often with more opportunities...isnt Losi afraid of loosing them too?
Losi has a small share of a small, dwindling market (on-road touring). I don't think it's personal, it's probably just a money thing. Keep in mind their parent company is probably calling the shots. That said, if they're not going to continue to try, neither am I. There are too many options out there to settle on one that seems like it's given up. And that's a shame, 'cause the R is a really cool car with a LOT of things to like about it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme2008 View Post
there are several classifications to sponsored driver:
partially sponsored driver - buys direct from company at a discount.
fully sponsored driver - gets free stuff from company.
paid driver - all expenses paid + paid to race.

as far as i know, losi scrapped their paid drivers but still have sponsored drivers, please correct me if i'm wrong. there's really nothing wrong with that, and i think we'll see more companies following suit.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you can't make everyone happy. If you want a new car every year then go with Xray. Then people complain Xray has a new car every year
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
you can't make everyone happy. If you want a new car every year then go with Xray. Then people complain Xray has a new car every year
srsly. seems that the only people that bash the type-r are the people that haven't driven one.

i've owned a LOT of rc cars in my days, and have found room to improve on just about all of them. i haven't found a single thing (other than shimming a-arms and steering bearings) that i would change on the type-r.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TaJoe5

One of my biggest gripes about the TypeR is you got to use the the old style oneway, with the short LCD's. Could we not get a updated oneway for the new car. Other then that its a great car and I am having more fun with it as the new ROAR rules are coming in effect.

Joe
Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Losi Helps a bunch of us guys out alot. They support the car considerably.

Also for all of you out there that thinks the one way is holding you back are wrong too. Haynes won stock and darn near won 19 turn Rubber running the One way you can buy from horizon. I got beat by him with the proto oneway.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

I cant complain about the car, i got it around christmast time and after the
1st race day its all i run in the foam class... i want another Type R for rubber tire

as far as setup go's its mostly stock besides a few changes Mike H. told me to try last week...

The car runs good in both rubber and foam theres no need for a change..
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Losi Helps a bunch of us guys out alot. They support the car considerably.

Also for all of you out there that thinks the one way is holding you back are wrong too. Haynes won stock and darn near won 19 turn Rubber running the One way you can buy from horizon. I got beat by him with the proto oneway.
Yea Losi does help us out, they just dont have anyone really running mod right now.

Larry and i both had comparable cars, which 1-way really dosn't matter.