R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Krypton motor problem. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/20782-krypton-motor-problem.html)

rcpilot 07-03-2003 02:51 PM

Krypton motor problem.

I have a krypton motor with 1 run on it and the arm inside the can seems ti be rubbing the magnet. When I spin the arm there is a skreetching sound. When it was new I don't recall it doing this but I don't see what could have happened. The motor was never dropped nor did I ever even crash the car for the 1 run I ran it. I don't see the magnets coming loose anywhere and the arm is perfectly straight.

What could be wrong?

Steevo 07-03-2003 04:42 PM

Pull the motor apart and check that a small stone has not got into the can on your first run.

rcpilot 07-03-2003 05:36 PM

Already checked and its not a stone. Anyone else?

Steevo 07-03-2003 05:40 PM

Can you see where on the arm it is rubbing??

JDM_DOHC_SiR 07-03-2003 05:42 PM

Originally posted by rcpilot
Already checked and its not a stone. Anyone else?
has any of the resin of the windings come off on to the magnets.??? ?@I had this happen with a Ti before:rolleyes:

Just a thought:weird:

-Dave:tire:

David Root 07-03-2003 06:48 PM

I bet you have a loose magnet, I have heard of it. Re gule the magnets back in where they belong with JB weld.

David Root

Randy Caster 07-03-2003 07:08 PM

When you opened the motor, what part of the armature actually rubbed on the magnet?

RC Paperboy 07-03-2003 07:39 PM

Check if the mounting screws are rubbing at all, that could be it.

Ryan had a magnet come loose, you could ask him about it. I think he sent it back to reedy.

Korey Harbke 07-03-2003 07:57 PM

I just recently discovered I had a loose magnet. I just sent it back to reedy and they sent me a brand new one. :nod:

-Sushi Boy

rcpilot 07-04-2003 03:24 AM

Thanks for all the help, I will check on the motor again and see what up.

JDM_DOHC_SiR 07-04-2003 06:20 AM

Originally posted by rcpilot
Thanks for all the help, I will check on the motor again and see what up.
please let us know what you find out;)

-Dave:tire:

Randy Caster 07-04-2003 07:49 AM

Originally posted by RC Paperboy
Check if the mounting screws are rubbing at all, that could be it.

Ryan had a magnet come loose, you could ask him about it. I think he sent it back to reedy.

The mounting screws are one of the biggest overlooked things here, good call on that one Paperboy! I have had the same problem in the past, the screws I used for my stock motors would be too long for my mod motors, and hit against the armature wires, that's a really good thing to check out.

JimmyMac 07-04-2003 08:04 PM

Friend bought a KR 10x1. After the first run he rebuilt it and noticed the arm wasn't freely turning in the can (trying to find magnetic center/shimming.) We tossed the arm in another can and it spun freely. After close inspection.. you could barely see where the arm was scrapping the magnet. So his magnet came loose. Gave it back to hobby shop and they sent it back to Reedy. I've heard it's a problem with some KR's. So watch out for this. I have 2 on the way. So we shall see. Nice good motor though....

Randy Caster 07-04-2003 08:22 PM

I've run 2 Kr's without problems on either one, I think the motors you guys have are just flukes, it's not a common problem or anything from what I see.

Fatboy Joe 07-04-2003 09:41 PM

rcpilot: i suggest bring it back to the store where you got it from. I had the same experience, the magnet coming loose and damaging the armature only after 2 batteries. A couple of my friends also had the same problem.