R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #2251
Tech Adept

Well after looking around at new cars i thought bugger it and ordered a few hop up's instead

First up was the Penguin chassis upgrade, went for the chassis, upper deck and side pods.

Next i decided to go brushless so after looking around and reading up i went for the Ezrun Esc and motor.

I bought the 60A Esc and he 5.5T motor

Also bought the option LCD program box.

The car is now officially absolutely mental.
The Brushless motor actually makes the car easier to drive even though it's dramatically over powered, it seems to respond quicker than my old motor, it's a lot smoother plus i can now program the start mode or punch.

I've got some new wheels and tyres coming next week, but overall i'm extremely happy with it.
The Penguin kit is exceptionally good quality.

Every single screw and mounting hole was perfectly lined up and exactly the right size.

After buying various hop up's from various manufacturers i automatically get the dremel out now.
But the Penguin kit was actually enjoyable to fit

So all in it's a lot to spend on a car that was discontinued many years ago, but i'm extremely happy with it now.

I'm still pondering if i should go for some of the GPM racing aluminium hop up's or not.
I know they'll be a lot heavier, but as spares are only going to get rarer they should last longer.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Mark
gixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #2252
Tech Adept

Nomaak,
To the best of my knowledge 1* and 2* were the only options offered by HPI for rear toe. I seem to remember something in the past of hearing that some Asian aftermarket companies offered aluminum option parts that allowed more adjustment but I never saw nor used any of these parts if in fact they exisited.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #2253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Did you just recently order the Pro-3 Penguin chassis and do they still have them in stock? If you are running a lipo battery, can you post a picture of it mounted.

I have a Pro-3 and parts sitting around collecting dust but would like to be able to run it in VTA.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #2254
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Did you just recently order the Pro-3 Penguin chassis and do they still have them in stock? If you are running a lipo battery, can you post a picture of it mounted.

I have a Pro-3 and parts sitting around collecting dust but would like to be able to run it in VTA.
Yep i ordered the Penguin chassis around 3 weeks ago and with the speed they dispatched it i'm pretty sure they must have had em in stock.

Nope i'm still running NiMh at the min.

I'm running both stick packs and 6 cells flat packs.
The stick packs are 5700mAh so are fairly thick, with this the top brace doesn't fit well so i have to either cut the battery clamp spacers or fit bigger spacers to the front brace.

The flat pack battery is a little loose so will need a bit a foam take under the battery clamp.

I've not done any mods yet as i'll be going to with LiPo's soon so don't want to do any permanent adjustments until i have the LiPo's.

Worst case scenario though is either trimming the battery clamp spacer if they're to thick, or applying some foam tape if they're too thin.

Cheers
Mark
gixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #2255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

hey guys, i have a Pro3 with a penguin (i think its penguin) chassis for sale. Check out my for sale thread in the sig for more details. Its in good shape, just dusty from sitting. If you dont like the listed price, make me an offer

just try not to lowball :P
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #2256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Always wanted a Pro3 in the collection. My first HPI in a sea of Tamiya's and Losi's. Thanks Syber !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #2257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

no, thank you!
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote