R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2002, 11:25 AM   #196
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

good luck John!

Anybody know if there is a aluminum or titanium layshaft out for the Pro3?

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:28 AM   #197
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cross has an aluminum layshaft. but I heard it was not as durable as the stock steel ones.
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #198
Tech Regular

have a friend who broke his steel layshaft (he mistakenly overtightened the pulley screw when he was supposed to pull it out). but i'd say stick with the stock shaft.
purplepro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 09:53 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Well if you are looking for new cars cheep....Sheldon's Hobbies have them listed on their web site at $109.00....new in box.

Great price to get someone into touring car!

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:15 PM   #200
Tech Elite

Tigerryan - are you running a top-deck? Because i definitely think the flexy chasis soaks up corner speed, especially when the grip is high.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:16 PM   #201
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

MikeR,

Wanted to give you a race report, just got back from the track...

Car was better, Turned the following:

1st Qualifier = 29 Laps
2nd Qualifier = 30 laps in 5:00.8
3rd Qualifier = 30 laps in 5:00.2

Yes twice I got snagged from my 31

Made 1st Spot in B-Main and won the B-Main with 30 laps...AGAIN!

Anyways, car carried more speed thru the corners, but I had to add traction compound on the front tires to help with turn-in, there was a tight S-Turn section where I was slow on...the compound fixed that...was running Plaids up front and Purples in the rear...

I have the Hot Bodies upper deck, the thicker one, as well as all the purple drive train pieces and motor heat sink...

I was thinking about getting the front-oneway, any pro's / con's to that??? Plus the aluminum front/rear bulk-heads....do they have any performance values???...

Basically I am trying to get the car going a bit faster and just trying to find the best bang for my buck...

Thanks all!
John
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 04:16 PM   #202
Tech Elite

The one-way will give a bit more turn-in, at the expense of stability under braking - might be worth a try on your carpet track.

the aluminium front and rear bulkhead pieces may give a fractionally smoother drivetrain, as they are less likely to flex under power, causing the diff to move out of true - don't know if that's actually a problem with the car as it is though.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #203
Tech Champion

TigeRyan-Oh so close but hey- atleast you're consistant! If you're that consistant then you're a pretty good driver. When you learn everything there is to learn about set-ups then watch out.
Since your car is 'too' hooked up then go for the oneway. Like Sosidge said turn in over some stability- just turn your brakes down to half and get used to the idea/ driving style of no brakes. Soon you'll start to develop a smoother driving style that the oneway forces you to use. The alloy bulkheads- eh. Just more weight and eye candy to me but I have them (also an extra one-way) if you'd like to buy 'em. BTW- the people at my track that have tried the top link to front knuckle mod have all reported tons of extra turn in- Just a thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2240023.jpg (76.1 KB, 172 views)

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 03-04-2002, 08:42 PM   #204
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Hey Mike,

Which chassis is that on your car?

Anyways, going to attach my setup sheet from this weekend, maybe there is something in there that could help someone else, or something someone might spot that I am doing wrong...

Just an FYI, the reason the chassis section is not filled in cause everything is manual spec...

Last edited by TigeRyan; 03-05-2002 at 06:04 AM.
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:58 PM   #205
Tech Master

tigeryan,

sorry to say, but if you want to make the A-main, then get a real car.... like a xxxs or a tc3..... ive been racing cars since 87, so I know what is a good car design and what is not. Hpi has not won any big races EVER!!! If I sound bitter its because I have worked in hobby stores and had to deal with HPI crap like crazy.....
I got 10 times more hpi cars for repair than any other brand.....

they suck, period!!!! If you are someone who just wants to play with a car in your nieghborhood, then I guess a hpi is ok...

if your a racer, an hpi of any kind will just slow you down......

Last edited by seanyblaze; 03-04-2002 at 11:02 PM.
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:08 AM   #206
Tech Apprentice

I can add at our track yesterday in mod class 2 xxxs were 1st and 2nd. ONLY because the old junk gearbox rs4 didn't come! The rs4 beats all others every week. I did runner up to him in another gearbox rs4 but sold it and bought a pro 3 (sick). First day in stock and 2nd in the a main and chasing a fttc3. Next week he's mine... It's all in the driving style, I've had a LOT of cars and the pro 3 is by far the easiest to drive. I'm not talking about a carpet track with 10ft straights but a very large smooth oval. I don't race in my living room and that's what carpet is for, lol...
Keyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:34 AM   #207
Tech Champion

Hehe- Another insightful comment from the masses I guess... whatever

TigeRyan- try the 1-2-9 block in back as well. Is it common for the outside hinge pin to be in the upper hole for carpet runners? I've seen it before but I prefer the lower holes for the roll center and just to allow more room for the shock travel. btw- that's a penguin chassis

Last edited by MikeR; 03-05-2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:56 AM   #208
Regional Moderator

BLAZN420: I'm sure that whole "racin' since '87" things makes somebodies' heart go all a fluter, but not here. I've seen guys start racing one year, and the next their winning and teaching the old guys new tricks. So how long you've been racing doesn't mean squat.

The Pro3 may not have been the best car out of the gate for HPI, but to say all their stuff is junk is just crap.

The RS4 pro and Pro2 were two of the best TC ever made, their F1 car is still very competitive for those who still own it, and their line of nitro cars has given many people a good first step into competitive nitro racing. HPI doesn't win much because they don't send 15-20 over paid drivers to every race. Why do you think Assoc., Losi, and Yok win so much. They have the money to do that. Companies like HPI, Corally, X-ray, Atlas will never win as much as those other companies. They just don't have the $$$ to compete. Schumacher is about the only small team that has managed big success on a National level.

I don't think theres any company out there that everyone of their cars is junk. Judge each of their kits on its own merits, but HPI on a whole has produced some of the best kits in the industry.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:35 PM   #209
Tech Master

so a car that uses machine screws threading into the bottum of the chassis is good. you obviously dont know anything about car design. every racer that I have known that has a pre-pro3 hpi car has to locktyte every screw on those stupid cars. also, you actually think those wimpy, flexy composites they use works good??? not to mention phillips head screws(the worst kind of screw you can use on a car) its also fun seeing newbies bring one of those cars to a carpet track and rip up the carpet with those screws hanging out of the bottum of the chassis.

REAL GREAT CAR!!!!!!!!NOT

lap ya later
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:50 PM   #210
Regional Moderator

Your right, I don't know anything about car design. I never claimed to. I don't claim to know more than these companies because I don't. But, I'm sure you can guide me to those many, many national championship cars you have designed. Right? Ya, know since you've been "racin' since '87"

Here a news flash though. HPI isn't the only company to use phillips screws. Heck, Trinity uses them on their top of the line nitro tourer, Xray's first kits came with them. This was their first attempt at composite chassis work and it didn't turn out great, and personally I think they should have stuck with dual plates. Thats what they knew, and thats where most Pro3 owners end up with anyway. I find it kinda strange that you derive joy from seeing carpet ripped up, but thats a whole other issue.

You still haven't acknowledged the other great cars HPI has made. I'm not challenging you assertion that the Pro3 isn't the best car out there, I'm challenging your assertion that HPI as a company makes nothing but junk.