R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #1891
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

mine is not very free either and I cannot keep up with cars down the straight but make it up in the in-field most of the time. for me I think it mostly comes from the front belt, it's too tight. I don't want to mess with the front bulkhead like Frank posted so I'll just live with it.

I had a pretty good showing with my pro 3 this weekend. Qualified 6th in the A was holding 3rd with less than a minute remaining when my pinion came off!!! That's the first time it has even happened to me!!
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:37 PM   #1892
Tech Elite

Personally I don't think you should read too much into transmissions that spin well on the bench. The rotational speed, and forces on the wheels, are nothing compared to what the car experiences on the track. Low speed rotations favour the shaft cars, the belt cars tend to create a bit more drag at low speeds. When I switched from belt to shaft (Yokomo SD) I noticed no difference in runtime or in speed or acceleration compared to the Pro 3. What I did notice was an increased "coasting" distance, which helps in some corners, but can also be frustrating in some others, a slightly more responsive feel on the throttle, and a bit of torque steer.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #1893
Regional Moderator

i have tried the low friction belts to free up the transmission......but i doubt it makes that much of a diffrence
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #1894
Tech Elite

Default Freeing up the Drive Train

Guys;

I did eventually try the grinding of the front Bulkhead as Frank suggested. This really loosened up the Belt and freed the Car up some, but not as much as you would think.

Some of the problem (I believe) comes from the small diameter Drive Pulleys, but a larger Pulley is just not a realistic option. I also did not notice much, if any difference going to the Low Friction Belts.

I did do fairly well this weekend, finishing 6th against some very fast Drivers. But still, 1-1/2 laps off the TQ pace of which it would have been nice to be a little closer to that.

Hopefully this weeks teardown will reveal some insights that have been overlooked before.

Last edited by popsracer; 09-15-2003 at 04:17 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #1895
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

It was my first time running my Pro 3 yesterday at La Mirada OC Circuit... took TQ and won Stock. I was amazed at how the car handled, and now regret keeping it in the box for almost 3 years!

The only reason why I started running this car was for the Worlds in Vegas. Now I know, why Hara liked the car so much... =)
Old 09-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #1896
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by eeyan

It was my first time running my Pro 3 yesterday at La Mirada OC Circuit... took TQ and won Stock. I was amazed at how the car handled, and now regret keeping it in the box for almost 3 years!
eeyan;

I should have listened to Charlie and had you look at my Car yesterday. Congrats on your great finish.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:57 PM   #1897
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Hey pops... not until Charlie told me did I realize that I wasn't the only one running a Pro3. Good job though on keeping up with the field.

But really, I was surprised the car was dead on in stock with the setup I had. I ran it once with a 10t mod in the morning (before the enduro) and it cornered pretty well, although my gearing was a bit off. With a monster stock... it was fast! Wow... I was passing TC3s and Losis on the back straight... I guess, this car still has potential to this day... =)

Are you going to the HPI Worlds?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #1898
Tech Champion

could someone tell me what the Pro3's internal drive ratio is? thanks!
paul
Old 09-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #1899
Tech Regular

Thad Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #1900
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Thad Garner
cheers
Old 09-19-2003, 02:28 AM   #1901
Tech Regular

gidday pro 3 -ers.. just gave my ol pro 3 a run .. its first one in ages, and i must say.. i am impressed. i think it handles just aswell as my xray!... plz dun bash me.. mayeb my xray is going crap .. but seriously, it is hopped up.. and very stiff, i think it has gr8 potential.. just needs some fine tuning.. cant wait. :-)

ROb STorey
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #1902
Tech Elite

Default See how this weekend goes.

Guys;

We'll see how things go after this weekend. I'm totally rebuilding my Pro-3, adding some more Graphite parts to lighten it a little. A New ESC to replace my 4 yr old Tekin G-9.

One thing for sure, is that there is simply NO WAY this Car is going to be as free in the Drivetrain as a Shaft Drive Car. Just never going to happen.

I'll let everyone know how I do, Good or Bad.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #1903
Tech Elite

Default The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Guys;

Bad news first. The Track was so dusty, traction was much less than perfect. Drivable, but the Car was covered with dust after a run.

In the first qualifier on the second lap, somehow my Motor sucked up a Body Pin and locked the Armature, resulting in a smoked Motor and DNF.

2nd Qualifier, back-up Motor. Changed to taller gearing to cut down on the bottom end, but the Car was so loose that I did everything I could to keep it in a straight line. Finished 8th.

Main, changed the Shock Springs to 2 steps softer (the looseness). During pre-race inspection, I found a seized rear Diff Bearing (the Dust) and repaired it.

At the start of the race I hung back but was gaining places each lap. Unfortunately The Driver next to me was yelling constantly, causing me to lose my concentration. Cut too close to a Board once and ended up on my lid, then a few laps later hit a Corner Dot square on and launched the Car about 5 feet into the Air. Luckily no damage from either incident. Finally turned off the distraction and drove the Car to a 5th place finish.

I believe that the looseness was caused by the dust in the bearing and if I could have kept my concentration, could have easily finished in the top 3.

As a side note, I finished 2nd in the Nitro Expert class.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #1904
Tech Master

I had a good showing with my pro 3 on Sunday. Qualified 7th in the A-main, got a really good start and finsihed 2nd. I may have been able to catch first but stuffed the pipe just before the start finish line so I was unable to get another lap before time expired.

I think I reallly need some new batteries. My motors have been running good, really hot though.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #1905
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
I had a good showing with my pro 3 on Sunday. Qualified 7th in the A-main, got a really good start and finsihed 2nd. I may have been able to catch first but stuffed the pipe just before the start finish line so I was unable to get another lap before time expired.

I think I reallly need some new batteries. My motors have been running good, really hot though.
If you're looking for some great batteries... check Fukuyama cells... the Best!

http://www.fukuyamaracing.com/page2.html

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote