Wiki Posts
Search

Xray E2 vs. TRF414M2

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Xray E2 vs. TRF414M2

Ok folks, I'm looking for some feedback here because I'm really not having much fun with my current shaft drive car. Always had more fun with maintenance on the belt drive cars. Since I've never driven either one of these 2 cars,I'd appreciate some constructive opinions of both cars. As you can tell,I'm kind of a Tamiya guy BUT....I've seen the Xray and just got really jazzed by the way it's built and how easy it appears to maintain it. I think they share common performance capabilities. Thoughts ?????
Old 07-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Handling and set-up of the 414 is similar to the TA-04R (which I see you have). More fine tuning is available though.

Since you already have an EVO III and a TA-04R, you might as well stick with Tamiya because of the interchangeability of all the suspension arms etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

You can probably save atleast $30-40 dollars if you go with the 414M2. I always see 414M2's going for around 259, while the Xray goes from $310-340 or higher.

I'd go with the Tamiya just because they are a much more experienced company, and there design shows it (IFMAR world Title with the 414M2), while the Evo 2 is still growing in potential.

Both are very tunable cars, and both have there Eye-Candy. Other than my personal preference, I say you can't go wrong with either.

G'luck!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Need more info!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the input guy's but I know there's a bunch of hardcore Xray and 414 drivers who could comment also. Speak up folks....I could use your advice.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My xray evo 2 is great. I have always found it to be a very competitive car anywhere that I have raced. There are many great people here in the xray tread to give information. It's great with rubber or foam, asphalt and carpet. Everywhere you go it will perform and it's ohh so tunable. I have improved my driving because the car performs so well. Good luck with whatever you pick. The xray has lots of parts support both from LSH and the internet...i doubt you will have problems finding parts for the car.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

both cars look awesome...and misc parts of xray seem to be cheaper than tamiya...quality? dunno. i'd go for a TRF cuz im more of a tamiya person myself...and u can use some parts from ur other cars on the TRF
Old 07-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

i own a 414m2 wcr and the build quality,tuning capabillitys,and eas of set up is all the advantages plus super higfh quality bulkheads suspension,and transmission parts.also they won the ifmar championship and there were to 414ms in the a main to 1 xray.
personally the xray is a poor mans 414!but this is only my personal choice.
hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Both cars have the capability to put you on the winner's podium. Both cars, like all others, are very tuneable. Xray has two very different cars, the Evo2 and the T1R. The Evo2 is the "flagship" of Xray with full graphite and two different suspension systems (PB and Chub) to choose from. The T1R has a composite chassis and parts for the economical racer. Both cars (Evo2 and T1R) have interchangeable parts so you can create your own hybrid. Here in southern california, the majority of the Xray drivers do run the Evo2 just because you have more options already in the kit. Also here in southern california is Tamiya USA where most of the GT1 and GT2 classes now run the Evo3 or Surikarn ed. car stepping away from the 414M2. The majority of the complaints the Tamiya driver here have is the suspension of the 414M2, it isn't stable. If you hit a board or another car during a run, the car's suspension shifts. As you all well know, the only thing holding the arms to the chassis are the long four screws. That and the exposed diff makes for a high maintenance car, unlike the Xray's diff's where the labyrinth covers keeps the dirt out. Furthermore, the Xray suspension arms securely mount to the aluminum bulkheads, which are secured to each other making for a sturdy framework. The Evo3 Surikard Ed. has improved upon the problems of the 414M2 and presented it with a new drive train.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Actually, the 414 suspension is not held on by "4 long screws" - it uses aluminium suspension blocks, similar to that found on the EVO-III (although the EVO-III has a more economical design). So I don't understand your complaint. From my own experience, it takes a very hard knock to shift the 414m2 suspension.

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Both cars have the capability to put you on the winner's podium. Both cars, like all others, are very tuneable. Xray has two very different cars, the Evo2 and the T1R. The Evo2 is the "flagship" of Xray with full graphite and two different suspension systems (PB and Chub) to choose from. The T1R has a composite chassis and parts for the economical racer. Both cars (Evo2 and T1R) have interchangeable parts so you can create your own hybrid. Here in southern california, the majority of the Xray drivers do run the Evo2 just because you have more options already in the kit. Also here in southern california is Tamiya USA where most of the GT1 and GT2 classes now run the Evo3 or Surikarn ed. car stepping away from the 414M2. The majority of the complaints the Tamiya driver here have is the suspension of the 414M2, it isn't stable. If you hit a board or another car during a run, the car's suspension shifts. As you all well know, the only thing holding the arms to the chassis are the long four screws. That and the exposed diff makes for a high maintenance car, unlike the Xray's diff's where the labyrinth covers keeps the dirt out. Furthermore, the Xray suspension arms securely mount to the aluminum bulkheads, which are secured to each other making for a sturdy framework. The Evo3 Surikard Ed. has improved upon the problems of the 414M2 and presented it with a new drive train.