Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Talking Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action

Hey guys, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N176o-JueE

This is my project and I would love to collaborate with people who would be interested in developing more of these cars.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action-dsc_2991-small.jpg   Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action-dsc_2993-smallcom.jpg   Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action-dsc_3021-comp.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks good, how much for a set up like that given I already have a roller?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm still working out some bugs but you could do a full conversion for about the same as a good nitro motor. Around $600 depending on your resources.

Motor and speedo= $250
Lipos = $250
Motor mount and gear adapter I machined myself.

I don't have a full run on the battery pack due to speedo thermal but once I get the gearing right and reinstall the fan I should get about 7 or 8 minutes on a 4400mah pack.
I hope some different cell configurations become available so that I can use the available battery space better.

Rick
Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Rick, this is a really intriguing project. How have you geared the car?

Have you looked at the electric conversion kits that Novak is going to be offering for buggies? With the gears they will be selling, and the motor mount, I'm wondering what could be done to get these in a road car.

With tracks getting bigger and bigger and less and less 1/10th scale friendly, this is a great idea for us electric hardcore.

With the motor mount, what other modifications did you make?

doug
Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have seen a ILLINOIS local ran one of his brushless system on 1/8th even with the stock 2-speed gear box. Those 2-speed pinion gears are custom made...the rest, very much are useable on the existing 1/8th car. It was NOT as fast as this one from the video, because I think his HECKER system is not really up to speed compare to the 3.5 or 4.5 system.

Isn't it TEAM ORION just released a 11.1 3 cells 20C LIPO..........I think that is SO 1/8th ON ROAD (instead for monster truck...)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I would of used something like a NEU 1512, or maybe a 1509

But the HV works

Rc monster has a 2spd gear adaptor (I have one) There really well made

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...rcm2spdadapter

Might make mounting easier, and Mike (owner) will machine anything you want if you send him your car
Old 02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

very impressive!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

I wonder if this form of 1/8th scale will ever gain popularity. I wonder how long it will take for someone to come out with a conversion for each car, or a purpose built kit. Did you try 11.1V?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Curious to find out how much run time you get with that.. Looks like fun for sure!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The conversions are pretty cool.. but i too would like to see a pourpose built kit. Somehow i think the 3 belt system is way too overkill for an electric motor. the routing of the belts for circumventing the motor (center of mass issues) and the violence of the clutch and 2 speed. Once done properly I'm sure it would "smoke" a nitro car. LOL The options are out of this world with a couple 5KmAh Li-Po's in there.... you could put one in orbit!
\
Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
The conversions are pretty cool.. but i too would like to see a pourpose built kit. Somehow i think the 3 belt system is way too overkill for an electric motor. the routing of the belts for circumventing the motor (center of mass issues) and the violence of the clutch and 2 speed. Once done properly I'm sure it would "smoke" a nitro car. LOL The options are out of this world with a couple 5KmAh Li-Po's in there.... you could put one in orbit!
\
The Team Magic E4 has 3 belts and the car is just fine ( I have 2 of them)
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

\
Of course, the concept here is...powered by electric motor but trying not to change too much of the car itself.

If I am the one to design something for 1/8th electric, I would simple do a 4WD 1/8th version of the Kyosho SPARA....probably the easiest and fastest thing for the size of 1/8th....pan car design with a simple 4WD drive train..........since 1/8th are mainly runs on dedicated race track, having 4 wheel independence suspension might not be 100% necessary...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

The Team Magic E4 has 3 belts and the car is just fine
Less is more... trust me! If your three belts work just fine, then two belts would be better! Less is more
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Less is more... trust me! If your three belts work just fine, then two belts would be better! Less is more
i owned 2 belts car before and with the 3 belts and a speedpassion 2.5motor believe me there is no difference between the 2 belt car and the 3 belt car. and that goes with my other 23 2 belt cars that i have in my garage
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

NICE project. Im glad to see electric lovers arent letting Nitro take over! I would dare to say an efficient two speed setup would probably help with the thermalling/runtime too... its like trying to drive a 2-3 gear roadcourse stuck in 4th. The speedo and battery are seeing all kindsa amp draw that could be reduced that would net obvious improvements. I like the motor mount too... maybe fin it up a bit more and add a fan... or even do one of those thermo type coolers built into the motor mount with a separate smaller pack to run it. Varied voltage for varied cooling effect. More gear needed? Run a 6 cell receiver pack instead of a 5 cell receiver pack for the cooler. I like the possibilities im seeing though. Good stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.