Wiki Posts
Search

FMA CellPro 10s LIPO Charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default FMA CellPro 10s LIPO Charger

Anyone know anything about this charger?

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

Looks like it can do 2 packs (balance and charge) at once. Will it do each at 10A or is it 10a total? Is there stuff any good?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They wont sell to hobby shops. You have to buy from them direct.. period. So in a way, they aren't supporting the hobby.

From what I read it 10A total. No discharge mode though to measure mah. IR is a nice feature more chargers should have. So is the PC connection.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by or8ital
Anyone know anything about this charger?

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

Looks like it can do 2 packs (balance and charge) at once. Will it do each at 10A or is it 10a total? Is there stuff any good?
Any balancing charger that can do 4s or more packs can charge 2 7.4v packs at once if you configure the leads correctly. This new FMA charge has convenient dual banana sockets so you don't have to .

10 amps is 10 amp no matter how many cell you are charging.

This charger could charge 5 x 7.4v packs at once at 10 amps if you connected them up right

The down side is that all the packs you hook up simultaneously must be at the same level of discharge and have the same full capacity. Otherwise the pack with more stored capacity in it would take a lot longer to finish charging than it would it it had been charged on it's own.

I have been looking into this charger for a few days and it's probably the best alround lipo charger available. FMA have a lot of experience with lipo's and they release the 2s scorpion balancing charger years ago with 10a max.

This type of charger which monitors each cell balances them while charging and protect from pack imblances causing over charge and damaging cells.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Everybody has their favorite charger with pros and cons, with that said, I have the FMA 4s charger and really like it a lot. Because of that, I also ordered this new charger. I think they are shipping sometime this week.
I can post info once I get it and use it.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oXYnary
They wont sell to hobby shops. You have to buy from them direct.. period. So in a way, they aren't supporting the hobby.

From what I read it 10A total. No discharge mode though to measure mah. IR is a nice feature more chargers should have. So is the PC connection.
Most hobby shops in the uk have no interest in supporting rc car racing.

This charger is available in the uk here: http://www.aurorra.co.uk/shop/produc...2&cat=0&page=1

Aurorra sponsered the bike world championships in 2006...
Old 02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wait, I thought the Turbo GFX 35 was the best LiPo charger?! Hahahaha.

If someone finds out what exactly in involved in charging two packs at once with this, let us know. That would be a FINE thing to have in a charger.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I have a buddy who races with me and also works with lipo cells for a living , with real cars . He has on numerous occasions told me he recommends either this charger or the hyperion model that is very similar .

He also believes that it is a 10 amp total and not 10 for each pack. But he does again think this is a very good charger.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I have a buddy who races with me and also works with lipo cells for a living , with real cars . He has on numerous occasions told me he recommends either this charger or the hyperion model that is very similar .

He also believes that it is a 10 amp total and not 10 for each pack. But he does again think this is a very good charger.
Well it is rated at 300 watts so probably can't quite charge 10 cells at 10amps. It would be around 8amps.

2 x 7.4v packs is 4 cells which is 148 watts at 10amps which is well within limits.

The way this charger enables 2 pack charging is by charging the two 7.4v packs effectively as one 4s 14.8v pack. It can only do this because it's a balancing charger and can monitor each cell and vary current by 1amp to each cell.

You could use any balancing charger to charge more than one 2s pack by making wiring adapters(as long as it is a 4s or more one). I'll draw a picture

This FMA 10s charger is best for 2 pack charging because of the high 1 amp balance variance and also it already has banana plugs for the second pack so you don't have to make your own wiring.
Attached Thumbnails FMA CellPro 10s LIPO Charger-duel-pack-charging.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Will it do each at 10A or is it 10a total? Is there stuff any good?
"Charges Lithium Polymer or A123 Cells (variable charge rates for both LiPo and A123 cells). Charges 1 Pack of 1s-10s or 2 Packs of 1s-5s Simultaneously"

I guess you didn't read the whole ad.