R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THancock View Post
If it's a wireless powered device, why does it have "Battery +" and a "Battery -" connectors?
pwnt
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Guys, this isn't a joke. A small microwave tower & a reciever will power these cars. I believe that they will benefit nitro more then electric though. kilowatts of power would take alot of energy to transmit & it may not be safe for the people. However, your microwave puts out a few hundred wats each time you use it & you could probly power recievers & servos w/ this system. I would not expect this unit to put out more then 100 watts of power if they decide to send you an output device. This technology is very cheap to make, however it is still quite raw & unexplored.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Tech Addict

WHATS THE DEAL? WHY WON'T ROAR LEGALIZE WIRELESS POWER??? Why won't they get with the program?

Just curious, does anyone know the actual type of radio wave transmission? Is this a 'microwave' transmission of power? If so, isn't there health risks associated with it?

Last edited by tomkelley; 02-17-2008 at 12:22 PM.
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THancock View Post
If it's a wireless powered device, why does it have "Battery +" and a "Battery -" connectors?
Its not a wireless "powered" device. It is a wireless "power" device. The device delivers the power to the car wirelessly. You still need to plug your ESC into it to power the car with it.

This device not be as cool as it sounds. For all we know there are batteries or capacitors in it and by wireless they mean you can wireless sit it next to come charging device to charge it (much like the wirless for charging phones, etc that is starting to come out).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's funny that the Schumacher boys are not saying anything about this.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley View Post
WHATS THE DEAL? WHY WON'T ROAR LEGALIZE WIRELESS POWER??? Why won't they get with the program?

Just curious, does anyone know the actual type of radio wave transmission? Is this a 'microwave' transmission of power? If so, isn't there health risks associated with it?
it's like sitting in your kitchen with your microwave on, talking your mobile phone while on your wireless laptop binding your spectrum controller (multitasking ftw) so it's not going to hurt.

but it will suck immensly

where does the power come from anyway? it's gotta come from SOMEWHERE. maybe a car battery with a little transmitter attatched? wait... battery wars will then start (OMG my car battery exploded )
Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ideally, as many have said, this should transmit power to the car wirelessly. How safe and how well it really works have yet to be seen. I'm really questioning the legitimacy of this especially since the Schumacher boys have not uttered a word about it and if it is as we're assuming why not have this technology ready for real cars, so there isn't any issue of batteries or gas powering the real cars. Guys, this is where "saving the planet" comes from. If this product really works and is safe & affordable, we should see less usage of batteries and less emissions from nitro/gas. That means less pollution in our landfills, oceans, and air. It would be cool to see this thing be as advertised, but I really have my doubts. One day, I'm sure this technology will be a reality, I just don't think it's next year!
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnfx View Post
Guys, this is where "saving the planet" comes from. If this product really works and is safe & affordable, we should see less usage of batteries and less emissions from nitro/gas. That means less pollution in our landfills, oceans, and air. It would be cool to see this thing be as advertised, but I really have my doubts. One day, I'm sure this technology will be a reality, I just don't think it's next year!
When you plug something into the wall, your still relying on fossil or coal in many places of the world.

Quote:
The efficiency of an energy transferring system is the percent of the energy sent which reaches the destination. This can be found by dividing the amount of energy received by the amount of energy sent. Wireless sending of energy is usually not very efficient because most of the energy which is sent misses the receiver, or is lost as heat. Sending energy through wires, on the other hand, loses much less power, because wires confine and guide the energy to where it is needed.
Link unverified, but self evident

So the efficiency of power transfer goes down with wireless. Hence more pollutions are used to in the creation and conduction of the initial energy for the wireless power hub versus wiring connected to storage device like a battery.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i cant believe some people are being so negative. kinda sad, i bet every on esaid the same thing bout spektrum now look every one uses it.
it maybe a bit brave(or stupid) on sp to realease a statement so early but we cant be negative cause with out these wacky idea's that may come true we would still be running nicads and brushes not to mention might not even be using foam tires (ever think how stupid that sounds foam tires? no other sport uses foam tires well slot cars but...)
sorry i just think this could be a revolution. time will tell
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Winner

I tested one of these last week and I won the only race for the night. Purrrfectly saaafe.
However, I am now banned from my club. Everything was fine until a car tried to pass between my car and the power source. Then there was a blinding flash and a ball of flame. They didn't know it was me for till it was too late.
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to more$thanbrains

looks like a B/L esc that needs a servo like the the old school rotary ESCs
more$thanbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
i cant believe some people are being so negative. kinda sad, i bet every on esaid the same thing bout spektrum now look every one uses it.
I'm sorry, but pointing out Thermal Dynamics is not negative. It's simply physics.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

simply physics??? u gotta be kidding me physics has been chanhged and proven wrong many times in history, to say that some thing is impossible is really to leave ur self open to being wrong
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Your absolutely right. However, unless you can prove otherwise. That indeed transferring over air can be just as efficient versus wire. I think you need to admit defeat.

As it is we still don't know if this even using inductive magnetic coupling to transfer power. The only other method used thus far has been microwaves. I certainly wont call that safer.

Even more, this could have nothing to do with what we all have theorized here. So all of us could be speaking out our collective ass.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #30
Tech Elite

I'm looking forward to having a mega-watt microwave transmitter right next to my head on the drivers stand... that will be awesome, lol.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote