R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by racerdx6
Does anyone know if an aftermarket aluminum micro RS4 pinion gear would fit one the mini-z? I know there are a few companies that make aluminum pinion gears for the rs4 and I want to try one of my Z because I'm tired of replacing my stock pinions so often. I just want to see if anyone has tried this with any success, someone said it "might" work. Keyword being might so I don't think he has done it and I didn't bother asking cuz I already asked like a million questions. Any input on this would be nice .
The RS4 Micro pinions do work, but if you mount a bigger pinion, you'll have to shim the motor.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Default Best Bearings for the mini-Z

If you're planning to run or race a mini-z, make sure to get the Squat Dry bearings. They are the awesome and your mini-z will accelerate a lot faster. nevermind the motor as there are tons of motors available for them and they're pretty cheap. Cutting the comm requires you to take the motor apart and using a very fine grade sand paper, lightly sand the itty bitty comm that's on the armature.

If you want to go all out, then you can buy FETS and stack/solder them together on the cuircut boards which will turbo charge your mini-z. You can then run a meaner motor.

Lastly, they have been known to tweak so changing to a harder rear graphite brace between the chassis to motor would yield a more consistant car.

Have fun, they're one sweet car to practice with.

Jimmy
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Default Re: Best Bearings for the mini-Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Fukuyama

Have fun, they're one sweet car to practice with.

Jimmy
i really have to agree with ya there Jimmy! since i purcused my mini-z and set a track up in my room my 1/10 racing skills have greatly improved! and they are awsome fun! i reckimend them to any RC racer.

Last edited by GTMilenko; 07-06-2003 at 10:05 PM.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:13 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Best Bearings for the mini-Z

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
i really have to agree with ya there Jimmy! since i purcused my mini-z and set a track up in my room my 1/10 racing skills have greatly improved! and they are awsome fun! i reckimend them to any RC racer.
Hehehe!

Once in awhile when I don't have time to practice on the big track, I'd run my mini-z in the office with rechargable Ni-cad. They last for 40 minutes and that's a lot of laps.. Gotta luv them!

Jimmy
Old 07-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Does anyone know if an aftermarket aluminum micro RS4 pinion gear would fit one the mini-z? I know there are a few companies that make aluminum pinion gears for the rs4 and I want to try one of my Z because I'm tired of replacing my stock pinions so often. I just want to see if anyone has tried this with any success, someone said it "might" work. Keyword being might so I don't think he has done it and I didn't bother asking cuz I already asked like a million questions. Any input on this would be nice .

Yes they will fit, however, other brands will fit better than others...
team hommies for example will fit, but because the tooth isn't as sharp as the originals it will tend to bind if set too close.

a sure fire drop in pinion, are the ones made by GPM for the micro RS4...

just check if the tooth is as sharp as the originals, the pitch is exactly the same...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:17 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Default dry racing bearings

I agree that the squat dry bearing kits are the best. The mini-zracer.com dry bearing kits are very good too. But make sure that you DO NOT oil the dry bearings or you will ruin them. That is why they are called "dry" bearings . I had to take my body off of my Z at one track I was at to show a guy that I had a stock motor because he didn't believe that I only had a dry bearing kit and not a modified motor .
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #37
Tech Elite

cool... where did you get your dry bearings?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

www.mini-zracer.com . Than go to the shop and I think they're under the drive chain section of it or the misc. section. But if they're not in one of those two sections just skim through the other sections. You can also email the shop if they don't have them in stock. I don't think you can still get the Squat bearings from there because they might not carry them, but the mini-zracer.com dry bearings are just as good. There's also a lot of other really good performance parts that you can't get in the US usually that you can get from mini-zracer.com. They make some of the fastest mini-z motors. They also do internal turbo installations (for more information about internal turbos just check out the shop there). But before you buy a motor from there make sure that your current mini-z can handle it, read to see if it requires any type of turbo, and if it doesn't say if it requires a turbo or not just email the shop or ask on their forums. Hope this helps .
Old 07-07-2003, 10:07 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
cool... where did you get your dry bearings?
you can get the squat bearings from rainbow10
Old 07-07-2003, 10:56 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

if you use metal pinions on your mz just remember that your metal pinion will eat up the spur of your mini z faster.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:16 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
They also do internal turbo installations (for more information about internal turbos just check out the shop there). But before you buy a motor from there make sure that your current mini-z can handle it, read to see if it requires any type of turbo, and if it doesn't say if it requires a turbo or not just email the shop or ask on their forums. Hope this helps .
we use to do our own internal turbos... managed to fit 12 FETS on the mz board. 6 on each side... we call them stage 6 upgrades or tower of power... you can actually see two towers on the board that's why we could run any wind, without harm to the board... not that we perfected the 130 type motors, but we can get more juice into the motors.

the drawback is, you can't play for more than 10 mins...
Old 07-12-2003, 06:39 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
you can get the squat bearings from rainbow10
cool... we usually use the original kyosho or GPM bearings...
Old 07-12-2003, 07:46 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Glad to see you guys continuing this thread. keep talkin !!! I'm learning alot. Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

What ever you guys do, DO NOT GET THE DURATRAX BB'S FOR YOUR MINI-Z. It's a big waste of $$$$. People have told me that the bearings don't fit very well in the front wheels.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:26 PM   #45
Tech Regular

are there any after market ESC or servos or recievers you can get for the Z's?