Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Are you running lipo now, or are you going with 4-cell? I've been running lipo in my R5 for several months and it's working great. The setup you describe is definitely not for lipo.
Hes got a 1cell Li-Po and a 13.5
I'd love to hear about your set-up if you would ?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Are you running lipo now, or are you going with 4-cell? I've been running lipo in my R5 for several months and it's working great. The setup you describe is definitely not for lipo.
Yes Im running lipo now. So whats bad, the setup on it or the one Im changing to?

I have a little bit of time on a carpet knife with lipo and am thinking most of the changes I did to that car should effect this car the same?

DK
Old 06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PartTime
Yes Im running lipo now. So whats bad, the setup on it or the one Im changing to?

I have a little bit of time on a carpet knife with lipo and am thinking most of the changes I did to that car should effect this car the same?

DK
Well, the one on it now is definitely not what you want, though you've gathered that. Here's mine:

Weight: 735-740g (depending on the tires)
Ride Height: 4mm
Tires F/R: dbl pink/dbl pink
Center Spring: Blue
Shock Oil: 25wt
Side Oil: 20wt
Side Spring: Silver or Green
Front Spring: 0.18
Kingpin lube: CRC white
Camber: 1 deg.
Caster: kit spec

I've run that on both Jack tracks and our current Paragon track (so much better, btw, if you ever get the chance.)

Straight off, try the green side spring, and if it's a little soft, go to the silver. I like the green, though. The car really settles into the sweepers. I think you're right about the CK, it's more alike, being a link car, than otherwise. Tell me how it works for you.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
AE-Reedy

Regarding lipo set ups;

We haven't had much oppurtunity to do testing with the lipos yet.
We only just got a track we can run at, normally the only time we race 12th is at the big carpet races.

From the little we have run we haven't seen that the car requires much in the way of set up changes. We did test in Tuscon last month but the grip wasn't very high. We found the cars to be much better with lipos compared to our 4cells and we didn't make any changes.

We found that the mass balance of the car is basically right in the center of the battery tray so switching from a heavy 4 cell to a light lipo the balance of the car stays relatively the same. I'm sure with more time to run we might find some little things that will help, probably with the dampening.

Only when you have good competition can you really tell where you stand.

As soon as we have any thing confirmed for lipo we will post it.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

anyone know can be brushless pod used on t-plate conversion? i ask cuz for that is need upper and lower plate, whose is only for linkage version....

yeah thats not about lipols, sorry
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
Regarding lipo set ups;

We haven't had much oppurtunity to do testing with the lipos yet.
We only just got a track we can run at, normally the only time we race 12th is at the big carpet races.

From the little we have run we haven't seen that the car requires much in the way of set up changes. We did test in Tuscon last month but the grip wasn't very high. We found the cars to be much better with lipos compared to our 4cells and we didn't make any changes.

We found that the mass balance of the car is basically right in the center of the battery tray so switching from a heavy 4 cell to a light lipo the balance of the car stays relatively the same. I'm sure with more time to run we might find some little things that will help, probably with the dampening.

Only when you have good competition can you really tell where you stand.

As soon as we have any thing confirmed for lipo we will post it.
Yeah , you guys must be running on ash fault outside or something .
I've felt a tremendous difference with only changing the battery on carpet .
It needed a lot of changes. That set-up above looks pretty good to me!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

putawaywet....thanks. I will write that down and take it with me to the track. Will report my findings.

DK
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
AE-Reedy

What kind of handling problems are you guys seeing when you change from 4 cell to lipo?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Sean, were you running at CH in Tuscon?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

What kind of handling problems are you guys seeing when you change from 4 cell to lipo?
Basically it pushed . The car wouldn't rotate.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Basically it pushed . The car wouldn't rotate.
I have found that on high bite carpet going to a dpl pink tire helped this issue, with yellows the rear gets too locked in
Old 06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
AE-Reedy

Yes we ran 3 days at CH and I have run 2 packs on the track here at OCRC.
I'm going to try and get there to run more this week.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Not really a problem with handling, just a little diffrent. The car wont rotate as fast on corner entry as it would with the 4cell. Less weight back there and you have less weight to swing the rear around with. Plus when you get off the power in a corner it wont transfer the weight as fast. Normally I need a little lube on the kingpins to slow that down. With the lipo no lube needed.

Originally Posted by chris moore
I have found that on high bite carpet going to a dpl pink tire helped this issue, with yellows the rear gets too locked in
My first test drive with the R5 and lipo had purple frt/dbl pink rear. The car needs more mechanical grip. The last 4 mins it pushs a touch and is lose a touch. Just need to soften it up and let it transfer what little weght is left.

DK
Old 06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default sean

could please post your set-up ocrc when you get a chance after you run
there, my son and i have switch over to electric from nitro and run at ocrc twice amonth there with r pan cars. thks 4 your support
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by PartTime
Not really a problem with handling, just a little diffrent. The car wont rotate as fast on corner entry as it would with the 4cell. Less weight back there and you have less weight to swing the rear around with. Plus when you get off the power in a corner it wont transfer the weight as fast. Normally I need a little lube on the kingpins to slow that down. With the lipo no lube needed.

My first test drive with the R5 and lipo had purple frt/dbl pink rear. The car needs more mechanical grip. The last 4 mins it pushs a touch and is lose a touch. Just need to soften it up and let it transfer what little weght is left.

DK
Given the way people use tires these days those compounds are hard. That would explain your low grip. I ran pink/magenta fronts and pink rears at all the races last winter. I like yellow rears also but had many problems with them chunking or tearing during the runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.