Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thank you Josh, Juho and Sean for you patience on this thread. Despite the implications of scandal and elitism, your willingness to help hasn't gone unnoticed.

St. John,
I am no team driver, and have hit my share of boards and am also fairly critical of fit, finish, and execution of my toy cars. I have looked over my car and have not found an issue worth demanding a re-mold of parts for. When I cut new tires and set RH correctly, my car measures the same side to side. I hope you are able to find a solution to your problem. With the generous offer from Sean to send you a new set of lowers, I think you should be set! If not, a picture might also help. The harsh attitude does not.

Love,

Andrew
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
John, could you post a picture of this. I just bought a 12r5, and want to see what everybody is talking about. Also so I can have reference to check up against when I check my car later when I get home.
Carlos, your kit is fine!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
uppers r fine...
hard to check the inner mounts.
lowers r most likely the issue.. bad mold.
flipping them made it worse.... still not right . i shouldnt have to fix what seems to be common place.... funny how the team drivers dont have a problem with it. they just have to know about this im certain. Just spill the beans .. admit that something is wrong with the whatever part so we can fix it. I assure you is nothing I did to it. Wasnt there as similar issue with the tc4? Perhaps this is how the factory keeps otherwise good drivers out of the show and the payed drivers payed. Ive played with this stupid caster now for 3 days and cant make it right without replacing (non broken) parts. I shouldnt have to own a C&C or a Bridgeport to play with my toy cars. But it would seem that the future of 12th scale (atleast in my pit box) does not cpntain an Associated car for me. Or is this the lto edition? I had no idea associated made a 12th oval car.....and yes im still
hey john letme tell ya a little story. i recently had a problem with my itf chassis on my tc5r. the holes were countersunk too deep and i could not mount the bulkheads. so what did i do? i called customer service and guess what? they sent me a new chassis no questions asked and team associated was very helpful on the phone. my point to the story is that sometimes parts can get screwed up on occasion and you cant slam a company for that. sean is willing to send you a new pair of arms and you should be greatful for such great support. many of my friends run the r5 at my local track and are fast and consistent. i have looked at those cars and none have the problem you describe. and i now for a fact that mike blackstock did not win the snowbirds with "special parts". so take the new arms and the advice from sean and others, shut your pie hole, and go have some fun on the track!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey john letme tell ya a little story. i recently had a problem with my itf chassis on my tc5r. the holes were countersunk too deep and i could not mount the bulkheads. so what did i do? i called customer service and guess what? they sent me a new chassis no questions asked and team associated was very helpful on the phone. my point to the story is that sometimes parts can get screwed up on occasion and you cant slam a company for that. sean is willing to send you a new pair of arms and you should be greatful for such great support. many of my friends run the r5 at my local track and are fast and consistent. i have looked at those cars and none have the problem you describe. and i now for a fact that mike blackstock did not win the snowbirds with "special parts". so take the new arms and the advice from sean and others, shut your pie hole, and go have some fun on the track!
Originally Posted by David Galdo
Carlos, your kit is fine!
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Thank you Josh, Juho and Sean for you patience on this thread. Despite the implications of scandal and elitism, your willingness to help hasn't gone unnoticed.

St. John,
I am no team driver, and have hit my share of boards and am also fairly critical of fit, finish, and execution of my toy cars. I have looked over my car and have not found an issue worth demanding a re-mold of parts for. When I cut new tires and set RH correctly, my car measures the same side to side. I hope you are able to find a solution to your problem. With the generous offer from Sean to send you a new set of lowers, I think you should be set! If not, a picture might also help. The harsh attitude does not.

Love,

Andrew
Originally Posted by march to my own
John,

Mentioning someone's name without they're permission on a public forum is just not right... there are many reason's why people choose to do what they do. I remember watching you race years ago and you got so mad you threw you're radio against the wall breaking it into many pieces... I guess with the internet you have a different avenue to take out your frustrations...

Please call Associated rather then slam the co. and throw other racers under the buss.

I choose to edit your post.

Travis
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
John I can assure you there are no "Team Driver" parts, everyone gets their parts the same way you do. There have also been no adjusts or changes to the molds. If you want, contact me and I will send you a new set of lower arms. Just send me a PM with your address. I have seen some small differences in caster side to side but nothing that ever worried me much. I normally just adjust the shims to get my desired caster and move on.

Now the issue of the arms having different heights that one was noticed recently and we believe it to be the lower arms moving on the bulkheads.
In Cleveland I tried countersinking the screws that attach the lower arms to the aluminum bulkhead. This should help the screw and the arms to find a center and resist moving. I haven't checked my car since I made this mod to see if they moved again, although I haven't noticed any problems with the front ride height which is what set me to looking in the first place. If you find them to be off just loosen the lower arm screws and then retighten them this should reset the heights.
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
OK John,

I think you have jumped the shark on this one

Have you tried contacting Team Associated's customer service? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you.
Originally Posted by JuhoL
Oh no the secret is out
So we either need new lowers, and hope for a good casting or get a new car. That DBR12 looks nice...
Originally Posted by JuhoL
Have you tried flipping the upper or lower arms from side to side? Does the problem go from one side to another if you do that? If you could figure out what part makes the caster uneven it would be easier to help you solve the problem.

You really dont have to get the brushless pod. The Worlds were won with the standard pod
Originally Posted by Eddie M
I have different issue where one of the lower front arm is angle up slightly and cause the front ride height not even. It take me a while to realize it was the arm the give me the headache. I also has uneven caster too and they are off by about 1.5 to 2 degree. I also being careful when I thread in the turnbuckel and they are as stright as possible. The car does run well but little things like this bother me big time, so I ended up bought an XII and save me from getting more gray hairs...
I have spent quite some time making sure I got it all right. The arms are swept back on the bottom and both are oriented the same. So what would you suggest ? Ivan Jacksons car is brand new and his also was way out . Ivan is even more anal with his stuff than I am. His cars are imaculate! And guess what? Caster isn't even close. What parts do i need to replace ? Perhaps the entire car . I have two Associated cars and things like this make me want to sell them. I know Chuck Lonergan had one and sold it because he didn't like it. Now I know why. I wish Tamiya made a 12th scale pan car. If they did , I'm sure it would be right on right out of the box and I wouldnt have to buy replacement parts like the brushless centering parts to make it right .. or atleast "almost" right . And 12th scles are finicky at best but absolutely awesome when RIGHT. I want it right......
Call it conspiracy, call some one .. send something, buy this buy that .. throw your name /transmitter. Whatever man! Im 44 now , have been racing probly far more than I care to admit. Sponsored (barely) at times and could care less. Rules ... racers ... Parts and rejects... P.R. cell phones .. insurance family ..... %#$^ whats her name! To many cars not enough time . People bitchin' about Q.C. and how heavy or whats faster .
Just seems to me Americans and Peanut manufacturers don't take pride in what they sell and manifacture .. Or maybe they do but expect the customer to fix whats wrong and butcher what would otherwise be an awesome car, or worse, not know and think thats it and accept thats as good as it gets . I'm a proud man and what ever slander people care to say can go say it .. I dont care ok. I seem many people do strange .. sometimes violent and even comical things at a track. I've seen engineers go fisty cuffs over toy cars. I dont mind working on cars but man, taking everyones suggestions (good or bad) and well whatever ... Dont read between the lines okay ! I've been wondering why the economy is so @#%^ed up and now as is I can fix it all myself... I can tell you the world would be a better place if everyone though about things a little more before they type as briefly as they can and convey a thought. Some people die from tainted peanut butter crackers.. some get bad parts on a toy car. Okay ....no ones dieing here from bad parts but perhaps someone some where is listening. I do this @#%$ for fun. But I shouldn't have to beat my brains out to make a point either.
As for naming names .... twas nessary. And in no way did I offend any person I names. I concider all racers... MY FRIENDS.. yes even you Ray !
And to whom ever knew me 20 years ago. You drive a bus ?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

AE customer service is top notch.
Attached Thumbnails Associated RC12R5-ae.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by berserk
AE customer service is top notch.
Okay , you don't get it ...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What is Black Art web site ?
or where can buy ?

Last edited by RC MARKET; 02-17-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Jeesus John...

Have you forgotten what a turd the old front ends were? The oldschool front was a joke when it came to variation in the parts. The newer one (what mid/late 80's) was a lot better but had the same problems that you're complaining about now.

The caster will always vary some because there is a hand threaded turnbuckle on the upper arm. No amount of accuracy in the mold is going to fix a turnbuckle that's threaded in a little off. Most of us just quietly shim it and forget it because that's the easiest fix.

For the height of the lowers, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. There are several ways to fix the issue and it has more to do with the way the arms mount than with the molds. Are there things that could be improved? Yes. Is it a big deal to get all worked up over? No.

Don't think for a minute that you're going to get another car with the old front end and have it straight. Not gonna happen. The CRC front end has it's own set of issues and will have some of the same problems as the AE front ends because it's a similar design.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Jeesus John...

Have you forgotten what a turd the old front ends were? The oldschool front was a joke when it came to variation in the parts. The newer one (what mid/late 80's) was a lot better but had the same problems that you're complaining about now.

The caster will always vary some because there is a hand threaded turnbuckle on the upper arm. No amount of accuracy in the mold is going to fix a turnbuckle that's threaded in a little off. Most of us just quietly shim it and forget it because that's the easiest fix.

For the height of the lowers, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. There are several ways to fix the issue and it has more to do with the way the arms mount than with the molds. Are there things that could be improved? Yes. Is it a big deal to get all worked up over? No.

Don't think for a minute that you're going to get another car with the old front end and have it straight. Not gonna happen. The CRC front end has it's own set of issues and will have some of the same problems as the AE front ends because it's a similar design.
As I had stated in previous posts that the uppers are straight as straight can be. There is almost 3mm difference at the top of the kingpin from left to right. Shimming isnt what it needs man. More like a big ol'wedge jammed in there and some wacky tacky for good luck! My caster is so far out that Make them the same , one is spaced all the way foreward and the other all the way back. No wonder the car felt tweeked. Funny that it seems like a big deal to me ..... I can honestly say that I've NEVER had any similar , or even Q.C. issues with my Tamiya kits. And I have had 10 or so of them.
As far as turds go.... You can polish it but when you are done it's still #^$*.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Call it conspiracy, call some one .. send something, buy this buy that .. throw your name /transmitter. Whatever man! Im 44 now , have been racing probly far more than I care to admit. Sponsored (barely) at times and could care less. Rules ... racers ... Parts and rejects... P.R. cell phones .. insurance family ..... %#$^ whats her name! To many cars not enough time . People bitchin' about Q.C. and how heavy or whats faster .
Just seems to me Americans and Peanut manufacturers don't take pride in what they sell and manifacture .. Or maybe they do but expect the customer to fix whats wrong and butcher what would otherwise be an awesome car, or worse, not know and think thats it and accept thats as good as it gets . I'm a proud man and what ever slander people care to say can go say it .. I dont care ok. I seem many people do strange .. sometimes violent and even comical things at a track. I've seen engineers go fisty cuffs over toy cars. I dont mind working on cars but man, taking everyones suggestions (good or bad) and well whatever ... Dont read between the lines okay ! I've been wondering why the economy is so @#%^ed up and now as is I can fix it all myself... I can tell you the world would be a better place if everyone though about things a little more before they type as briefly as they can and convey a thought. Some people die from tainted peanut butter crackers.. some get bad parts on a toy car. Okay ....no ones dieing here from bad parts but perhaps someone some where is listening. I do this @#%$ for fun. But I shouldn't have to beat my brains out to make a point either.
As for naming names .... twas nessary. And in no way did I offend any person I names. I concider all racers... MY FRIENDS.. yes even you Ray !
And to whom ever knew me 20 years ago. You drive a bus ?
20 years ago. May I remind you that you came down to my home track in Indiana last year for a regional event and you went off into a rage and threw your radio on the cement floor there too. The regional representative had to come over too you and give you a hug and tell you everything is going to be O.K. Remember? You haven't changed a bit and don't try and make your behavior seem normal becuase it isn't...

The rest of your reply post is way out there complete with penaut butter crackers and economy advice for us. Thanks man.

Please call Associated and talk to them that is assuming they are willing to help you anymore... Please.

Travis
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Wow. This thread is getting out of hand... I agree with March, calling the Co. with any issues you may be having will always get you the best results. Unless it's Trinity.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis
Wow. This thread is getting out of hand... I agree with March, calling the Co. with any issues you may be having will always get you the best results. Unless it's Trinity.
I didn't throw my transmitter.... you are greatly mistaken. I put it on the table quite abruptly! I still use the same one. And as for the pot calling the kettle black.... Who yelled a profanity from the drivers stand. That was a blaitant violation of ROAR rules and no one said a thing! I have a God given right to express my opinion and these forums are here for just that reason. I answer to no one and for as much stuff as I have bought and had to send back. I've had to ship just about everything (or atleast one of) back to whomever and it all adds up. Seems to me that when I give an oppritunity to enlighten someone about something , it's all taken out of text and read between the lines . So I talk in conjecture and apparently there is a lack of reader intelect involved. I must have spent over $100 on shipping for motors , speedos, parts, odds and ends for warranty witch should have never been an issue in the first place . It's idocracy and lazieness. passing faulty "new" stuff to consumers just to make a few bucks and get product on the shelves. I'm not sponsored by FedEx man. So.... peanut butter was an example. Open your eyes man. All I was doing was making an accure observation and notifying everyone in a manner that which many have access to. So as far as everyone getting all defensive <shut up> !
Is Associated willing to replace everyones faulty parts? I wonder, maybe they will. So if thats the case I too would encourage everyone with one of these pan cars to persue non-faulty parts from customer service. Things like this are cause for extra effort.... extra carbon emmissions.. extra bull crap.. more typing .. more backlash. Is it all neccessary ? No.... ITS MANDITORY!
The squeaky wheel gets the grease! perhaps I should spell that out for you as well. Not you Jeremy....
Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

That went pretty much like I expected.

My caster's about a half degree off so I guess I'm either lucky or just that good.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've recently gotten a 12r5 and i'm having trouble w/ the car hooking to one side and pushing to the other, i've check tweak, and wheel centering. I run brushless and try to balance the weight between the left and right electronics wise.

Any ideas on where to start looking (oh and i checked all my bearings and rebuilt the diff too).
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
What is Black Art web site ?
or where can buy ?

You can find the Black Art Body right here: http://www.teamcrc.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.