Associated RC12R5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

what you did was right, tighten the wheelnut until the wheel won't spin and then loosen 1/4 turn
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by potloodslijper
As I hate tape to keep the battery packs in place, I'd like to use a different system. Anyone know an alternative system using velcro or something else?
Jorg,

Velcro will not be as thin as Tape. That means that it will hit the ground wen going over a bump, or just driving. Tape is good. And there is no other optiopn then taping (maybe a HotBodies C12 Battery Bar??? or something)
When you stick a small peace of tape on the piont where it cerves around your chassis, it is much stronger and will nog schred that easy.

Goodluck

Greetings Robert Krens
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TraceRacing
what you did was right, tighten the wheelnut until the wheel won't spin and then loosen 1/4 turn
okay...thanks a lot bro....
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

How the hell do you build these retarded shocks?????I build one end fill it up and when i put the second end on I cant get it on because the shocks got no way to bleed it???Im gonna put on some damper tubes,and an old 12-L4 shock on it I guess??
Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by intimidator
How the hell do you build these retarded shocks?????I build one end fill it up and when i put the second end on I cant get it on because the shocks got no way to bleed it???Im gonna put on some damper tubes,and an old 12-L4 shock on it I guess??
They are actually quite easy to build, if you are having problems than maybe the o-rings are bad. If they are swollen they will cause the problem you are describing. Another thing I do is cut a flat spot on the plastic washer that is under the o-ring this will allow the excess oil a path out.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Creature
The other thing on my mind is what do you guys use to strap the batteries down? I've never raced 1/12th but I wanna get my R5 going and it would be nice if I could know where to order some of this tape. Thanks.

We keep 2 sizes of tape in stock, 1" and 1/2", here in the store.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sean,

I can count as many as 5 racers here in San Antonio that have 12r5s....what is the optimum servo location, turnbuckles straight, angled back, or forward? I know this affects ackerman, but what would you recommend for asphault?

Thanks -
Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was talking with Mike Blackstock this past weekend at our track (The Gate in Cleveland) and he told me an interesting fact about the t-plate setup on my car that I thought I would share with those of you that are running the R5w/t-plate.

Mike was telling me of the testing he was doing while in Vegas on a R5 with a t-plate. He found that the car was inconsistant from run to run, but felt great as soon as he would change the t-plate. He'd have one good run with the new t-plate and then it would feel like a wet noodle for the runs after that. He told the AE engineers that they have a problem with the t-plates. What the engineers told him was that the current t-plates have been milled from thicker material stock down to .075"/.063" instead of being machined from proper .075" or .063" stock. The problem with this milling process is that it essentially removed the stronger outer most layer of laminations of fiberglass, therefore creating a weaker t-plate that doesn't resist tweaking as it should. For proof of this, compare a t-plate from an L4 and the R5. You'll notice the smooth, glossy finish of the L4 plate to the rough, matte finish of the R5's plate.

Mike said from what he was told, AE's fiberglass vendor screwed up and made the wrong thickness stock and they were trying to make the best of a bad situation by milling the stock down to size and trying to save the material. However, it seems they made the situation worse without realizing it until Mike's discovery.

After this conversation with Mike, I did realize that the R5 does need to be tweaked more often than my L4 did. I called AE this afternoon and voiced my concern with customer support. He said that he will take my concern to his production meeting this afternoon and see if the engineers are indeed aware of this problem and where they are at with a solution and call me back. I hope they correct this problem soon because I love driving a t-plate car.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by P2
Sean,

I can count as many as 5 racers here in San Antonio that have 12r5s....what is the optimum servo location, turnbuckles straight, angled back, or forward? I know this affects ackerman, but what would you recommend for asphault?

Thanks -
I would recommend staight or slightly forward.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

note to Sean, .......sure would be nice to see some team R5 setups posted on this thread (or at least links to where they can be found). So far, the only complete setup I've been able to uncover is Walter's from his regionals and that one is pretty old. Surely there must be more recent team info than that available.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Whos got some pics with car and electronics,am building car wanna see how mine compares.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:55 PM
AE-Reedy

We really haven't run much so this is where we have all the set ups so far.

http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/0setups_12r5.htm

Blackstock has been running more and says he has something a little different but he hasn't sent the set up sheet in yet. Honestly once most racers find the feel they like there is very little difference from race to race, usually you adjust the car with tires. At IIC I don't think I made but 2 changes to the car set up, the biggest changes were made by trying to find the right tire combination. I will give my set up sheet to the webmaster to add it to the list as well.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by intimidator
Whos got some pics with car and electronics,am building car wanna see how mine compares.
Here you go.....
Attached Thumbnails Associated RC12R5-img_2171.jpg   Associated RC12R5-img_2172.jpg  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's looking real good Paul
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

I've got my parts coming in soon for the weekend, so I'm gonna rebuild my R5 for some tennis court action if I can't get to the carpet.

Right now I'm running a MM5700 because its all I had on short notice, but it's grown on me to the point that I was able to find the perfect throttle/brake curve and everything. I am geared for 4.5 conservatively so on 5700 it's under geared, but I'm actually gonna pop in a 7700 and try it out on 4 cells...I'm starting to really like this car-I can get it up to some serious speeds on just 4 cells 5700, but it still corners and turns on a dime. It doesn't over steer and it's incredibly stable with the Spektrum servo I've got in it (plastic geared normal size, I need to get a smaller servo).

I'll get some pictures this weekend and maybe even a video if I can get a good one-it's kinda hard to find the perfect spot for the tripod set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.