Associated RC12R5

Reply

Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
  #871  
P2
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
P2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oahu, Hi
Posts: 865
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

It makes the upper arm longer which smooths out the steering a bit. With the longer upper arm there is also less camber gain. This little trick is just a tuning option
P2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
  #872  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Might have to give it a try. No issues with the strength of the front end?
mkdut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM
  #873  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
David Galdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 1,652
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

It will not affect the car on asphalt but will need a brace for carpet. It's a great tuning option.
David Galdo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
  #874  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I'm guessing too much lateral force(grip) on carpet where on asphalt becuase of the reduced grip it's not an issue. I guess I'll have to wait a few months before I give it a try on asphalt. Thanks again for the info.
mkdut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 AM
  #875  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Trips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 360 Speedway
Posts: 2,251
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Is it just me, or does the servo saver look like a panda bear face from that angle?

I know... but it's late here.

Trips is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM
  #876  
Tech Master
 
Drillit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming
Posts: 1,059
Default

Yes,it does!

Associated RC12R5-panda-pooch.jpg
Drillit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM
  #877  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Umm,,, I think he just raised the roll center.
John St.Amant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
  #878  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
I'm guessing too much lateral force(grip) on carpet where on asphalt becuase of the reduced grip it's not an issue. I guess I'll have to wait a few months before I give it a try on asphalt. Thanks again for the info.
There was a rear bite issue at the worlds this year. The 1/12th scale cars just could not get enough rear traction. If you go back and look at any of the pictures from the 1/12th worlds, you will see that every car had a Gurney lip on the back of the body in an attempt to get more rear bite. When was the last time you saw anyone running a Gurney lip on a 1/12th car at any big event? One of the ways you can get more rear bite, or balance, is to decrease front bite. By lengthening the upper A arm, you decrease the camber gain through the movement of the suspension making for less aggressive front bite. It does not change the front roll center. Only changing the angle of the upper A arm in relation to the lower A arm or surface of the chassis, changes the roll center.

Also keep in mind that at the worlds, the Associated team was the only team with access to Masami's secret tire foam. It was probably the same foam that Masami used to win the worlds in Florida a few years back. I also saw pictures of other teams from the first days of the worlds that where mounting foam in an attempt to find that elusive rear traction. Have not seen that happen in a long time!! I even saw a picture of Andy Moore mounting foam on wheels.
Crashby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
  #879  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
There was a rear bite issue at the worlds this year. The 1/12th scale cars just could not get enough rear traction. If you go back and look at any of the pictures from the 1/12th worlds, you will see that every car had a Gurney lip on the back of the body in an attempt to get more rear bite. When was the last time you saw anyone running a Gurney lip on a 1/12th car at any big event? One of the ways you can get more rear bite, or balance, is to decrease front bite. By lengthening the upper A arm, you decrease the camber gain through the movement of the suspension making for less aggressive front bite. It does not change the front roll center. Only changing the angle of the upper A arm in relation to the lower A arm or surface of the chassis, changes the roll center.

Also keep in mind that at the worlds, the Associated team was the only team with access to Masami's secret tire foam. It was probably the same foam that Masami used to win the worlds in Florida a few years back. I also saw pictures of other teams from the first days of the worlds that where mounting foam in an attempt to find that elusive rear traction. Have not seen that happen in a long time!! I even saw a picture of Andy Moore mounting foam on wheels.
Your an idiot...
John St.Amant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 AM
  #880  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
There was a rear bite issue at the worlds this year. The 1/12th scale cars just could not get enough rear traction. If you go back and look at any of the pictures from the 1/12th worlds, you will see that every car had a Gurney lip on the back of the body in an attempt to get more rear bite. When was the last time you saw anyone running a Gurney lip on a 1/12th car at any big event? One of the ways you can get more rear bite, or balance, is to decrease front bite. By lengthening the upper A arm, you decrease the camber gain through the movement of the suspension making for less aggressive front bite. It does not change the front roll center. Only changing the angle of the upper A arm in relation to the lower A arm or surface of the chassis, changes the roll center.

Also keep in mind that at the worlds, the Associated team was the only team with access to Masami's secret tire foam. It was probably the same foam that Masami used to win the worlds in Florida a few years back. I also saw pictures of other teams from the first days of the worlds that where mounting foam in an attempt to find that elusive rear traction. Have not seen that happen in a long time!! I even saw a picture of Andy Moore mounting foam on wheels.
on the contrary my friend, on asphalt they are looking for the most total grip. so taking grip away from the front only lowers your corner speed. but if you add rear downforce while maintaining the same front grip that nets you more low speed steering with more total high speed grip...
rx7ttlm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
  #881  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Your an idiot...
Who are you to be casting stones....
rx7ttlm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
  #882  
P2
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
P2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oahu, Hi
Posts: 865
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Yeah Crashby...you're an ID10T. You've only been doing this for 20+ years I agree with you though
P2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
  #883  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by P2 View Post
Yeah Crashby...you're an ID10T. You've only been doing this for 20+ years I agree with you though
Not to fret, P2. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. But sometimes they become one.
Crashby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
  #884  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
on the contrary my friend, on asphalt they are looking for the most total grip. so taking grip away from the front only lowers your corner speed. but if you add rear downforce while maintaining the same front grip that nets you more low speed steering with more total high speed grip...
Just sent you a PM.
Crashby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
  #885  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
Who are you to be casting stones....
I've been doing this for almost 30 years now and changing the ratio of the length or the upper arm and lower arms including the angle of the upper arm effects the ROLL CENTER. What ever effect you may have described is in fact a ROLL CENTER change. Raising the roll center make the wheel camber gain and lowering it does the opposite. And I AM John St.Amant thank you.
I may resemble your remark, but concidering the source....
remember some values are absolute and usually refered to as positive when it is actually and commonly not refered as a negative value.
John St.Amant is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service