R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #541
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
#102374 WA-CB 1/12 Scale Universal (Except Corally)
Thanks man!
RC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

David, you are all ways welcome to run with us down here in SA.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #543
Tech Initiate

Default Building Tips?

Hi, getting back into 12th scale racing since a new carpet track is opening locally. Last 12th scale I ran was an AYK 86J (does anyone remember that?) and clearly things have progressed a good amount in 20 years. I have been on and off nitro, 18th scale, and 10th scale touring in the past few years, but it looks like I need to re-learn 12th scale to get back in the game.

Current setup is a KO 949, Novak GTX (i pulled this from my TC) and a variety of stock brushed motors. I'm going to do some rollout calculations to figure ratios.

Track will be indoor carpet, med grip. can anyone point me to building tips for this car, and a good starting point for the aforementioned track? It is not a very technical track for now.

Thanks much!
zaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #544
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaiguy View Post
Hi, getting back into 12th scale racing since a new carpet track is opening locally. Last 12th scale I ran was an AYK 86J (does anyone remember that?) and clearly things have progressed a good amount in 20 years. I have been on and off nitro, 18th scale, and 10th scale touring in the past few years, but it looks like I need to re-learn 12th scale to get back in the game.

Current setup is a KO 949, Novak GTX (i pulled this from my TC) and a variety of stock brushed motors. I'm going to do some rollout calculations to figure ratios.

Track will be indoor carpet, med grip. can anyone point me to building tips for this car, and a good starting point for the aforementioned track? It is not a very technical track for now.

Thanks much!
I've put together a couple of cars and I think most everything should go together with no problems. The only thing I can find that is off in the instruction manual is the rear axle spacing. I would recommend measuring the rear wheel to the center of the car and adjust the shims accordingly. I would tell you exactly what it should be but I can't remember at the moment. I think you need about .060" extra shims on the diff side of the axle. let me know if you have any other questions.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #545
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
I think you need about .060" extra shims on the diff side of the axle.
Sean, that sounds about right. I would think AE would make that unnecessary, do you think that is a weight distribution decision? As it stands with my 10.5 Novak brushless motor, the pod is NOT balanced. No biggie as the pod shouldn't roll anyway from my VERY limited understanding of 12th scale tuning.

Any tips for taping the batteries in? Or just remove the front of the side links temporarily?
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #546
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Rezencloud3:: I know it is sticky tough, but I don't remove anything when routing the tape. Solvang?!? I will be visiting soon. Lived not far from there for six years at VAFB.

Carlos:: I am planning a road trip before it gets too cold or rains every weekend. If you and Paul venture this way you have a place to stay.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #547
Tech Elite

David, thanks. Hey, if your going to visit Solvang, by any chance are you going to visit Santa Barbara also? (30miles away) Do you run offroad? If so you should check out the Eilings Park Raceway if you get the chance. I used to run offroad ALL the time there, and its really bitchin now! Heres the info:
http://www.elingsraceway.com/
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4779646-post133.html
Joey Christiansen from "The Dirt" built it.

Used to have a better website, but things change....
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #548
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Now see, today you can't find many tracks made like that. In the mid to late eighties when I had the gold tub, we had a similar track like that up in SLO-town and Santa Maria. Soil conditions is awesome!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #549
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Sean, that sounds about right. I would think AE would make that unnecessary, do you think that is a weight distribution decision? As it stands with my 10.5 Novak brushless motor, the pod is NOT balanced. No biggie as the pod shouldn't roll anyway from my VERY limited understanding of 12th scale tuning.

Any tips for taping the batteries in? Or just remove the front of the side links temporarily?
The shimming is not a balance issue... more like a axle width issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #550
Tech Elite

I sure hope AE fixes the shimming issue with a longer left side diff hub.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Paul is planning a trip up their for the state fair with his wife. One of the other racers and I might be going up sometime probably after october.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #552
Tech Master

Ah, but he is most likely not racing... I will hopefully venture your way during October.

As for the axle shimming... I know from past kits, none where perfect. That is why it is in best interest to have varied shims. I don't feel there is anything with the present axle hindering the performance of the R5. My understanding is the manual is not accurate for the build. I don't recall looking at the manual while building this kit, but did prior to the build. I just knew to use a caliper to check the axle for equal left and right length. So after reading the recent posts about this shimming issue, I had to read the manual again to see the error. Still, it did not seem a bit odd to add a few more shims on one side and not the other.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I sure hope AE fixes the shimming issue with a longer left side diff hub.
Shims are not an issue. Due to various offsets of rear tires it is necessary. My DB12R needs 3 1/32" shims each side. I need one extra each side when I run Jaco tires because I normally run Parmas.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #554
Tech Elite

Yes, but it would be nice to use the same # of shims on each side, instead of +.060 inches on the diff side. I understand that there are different offset tires, and different widths that people want to use.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #555
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know a good rollout for this car on a medium grip carpet trak, medium size? Motors are LRP X11 8,5 or 10,5, both with 12,5mm rotor.
potloodslijper is offline   Reply With Quote