R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #421
Tech Adept

Marty,

You correct in saying that the distance from center line should be exactly the same.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #422
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jeremy
martymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #423
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymiller View Post
I have what will sound like a very stupid question.

The rear axle spacers are 3 on one side and 3 on the other. So I measured from hub to center hole on both sides, and it appears to off. I would think that by now a kit would at least have you put the correct spacers on the correct side to center the rear axle.

Or is there some magical balance thing, where the offset axle makes the rear pod balanced.
Set it up as per the instructions. It isn't always the case that the wheels should be equal both sides. My Corally runs with 1mm extra spacer on the gear side!

Once you have run the car with it set as per the instructions, try changing it. The acid test is a standing start at full throttle (like starting a Main) - the car should go straight and not shake its tail, even if the wheels spin.

I don't know why it works like this, but it does! HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #424
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymiller View Post
I have what will sound like a very stupid question.

The rear axle spacers are 3 on one side and 3 on the other. So I measured from hub to center hole on both sides, and it appears to off. I would think that by now a kit would at least have you put the correct spacers on the correct side to center the rear axle.

Or is there some magical balance thing, where the offset axle makes the rear pod balanced.
There was a mistake when they did the manual. Shim the rear axle to make the wheels the same when measured from the center.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #425
Tech Regular

Default mistake in the manual ???????????????????

While i agree the rear wheels should normally be spaced evenly.How can you make a statement like that .A mistake in the manual.
What proof or evidence do you have.
We need some from Associated to clarify the situation.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #426
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
While i agree the rear wheels should normally be spaced evenly.How can you make a statement like that .A mistake in the manual.

He's from Associated...
Mach10_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #427
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
Don't forget that different wheel manufacturers will use different offsets... There is actually different offsets within the same brand. So, you will need to shim your wheels per the wheel type, not the chassis make.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #428
Tech Regular

Default Wheel offset

Grp and jaco have different off set.But when fitting to your car this off set is equal per side .The issue is when fitting the axle and diff to the new Associated R5 following the instructions ,the hub is a different distance to the centre line.
The issue , is this correct or should it been shimmed to equal out.If it needs equaling out how many shims per side .??????? Mr Associated.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #429
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Don't forget that different wheel manufacturers will use different offsets... There is actually different offsets within the same brand. So, you will need to shim your wheels per the wheel type, not the chassis make.
About the wheel manufacturers and their offsets, that makes sense. When the offset is different, it would have more to do with the overall width you wanted to achieve. In theory, you would center the rear pod via shims.

I was really looking for confirmation about the distance from the middle to the outside about assuming that they should be equal. It seems funny to me that the very simple question created so many posts.

The question of how many shims? measure it. I just very glad a manufacture gave me a center point on the bottom of the pod.

By the way, thanks Sean
martymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #430
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use rear axle width as chassis tuning adjustment. On high grip carpet tracks I run the rear as wide as the tech box will allow. The rule book calls for a maximum width of 172mm. When there is less grip and I need more rear traction I narrow the car a little. To answer the question regarding the kit shims placing all the shims on the right side (spur gear) will get the axle close to centered.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #431
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
I use rear axle width as chassis tuning adjustment. On high grip carpet tracks I run the rear as wide as the tech box will allow. The rule book calls for a maximum width of 172mm. When there is less grip and I need more rear traction I narrow the car a little. To answer the question regarding the kit shims placing all the shims on the right side (spur gear) will get the axle close to centered.
Just order yourself one of these. It is the best $25 you'll ever spend on a 1/12th scale tool.

http://www.niftech.com/catalog.php?mode=3000

And Mr. Cochran is correct. While it is very important to have the chassis centered in the car's track, being able to alter the rear track on the car for high bite and low bite conditions is very useful in getting a 1/12th to handle properly.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #432
Tech Regular

Default Associated R5 spacing on rear axles.

After carefull measuring i have come to 1.10mm of shims on the spur side and nothing on the left side.This puts the centre line of the car between exactly between the hubs.
If using Jaco Prisims extra spacing needed to extend the width to 172mm.Spacing is equal on both sides .Parma and GRP wheels are just about right with out spacing.

On front axles 3 spacers on each side .

Car accelerates if as on rails ,straight as an arrow.

As an after thought I am using the IRS DIFF AND AXLE.Hollow axle and light weight drive washers.Ceramic balls.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #433
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Hi i was wondering if this would be a good beginner 1/12th scale car for me because i want to get into this class. I run asphalt touring but i hear carpet is a lot harder because you have to stick to a certain line or you will not have traction at all.
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #434
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta bob View Post
Hi i was wondering if this would be a good beginner 1/12th scale car for me because i want to get into this class. I run asphalt touring but i hear carpet is a lot harder because you have to stick to a certain line or you will not have traction at all.
i think all the current crop of 1/12 are good cars. i would suggest getting the more popular brands at your local track. 1/12 setup is more critical then in sedan. i have see some ill setup 1/12th. it can be frustrating. and it can discourage you from running 1/12. running what the fast guys run at your tack will at least get you a base setup. plus they can help you with setup.

we had 1 guy with an r5 and i really just had no idea what to help him with when it came to setup since i have never driven the car.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #435
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Ok thanks. I know there is atleast two guys running this car. My next question is are they going to come out with lipos for 1/12th
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote