R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i was running without additional weight, an orion 3200, and a 5.5 bonded rotor. when traction was up it was't bad, but when the track was green i limited the throttle to about 60-70%. with weight added to bring it up legal it is a blast.. i picked up a 13.5 that if it ever stops raining i'll run and see how that goes.. i used to run it 6 cell/19t on an unprepped track without sauced tires no problem.. grenade, when it was still a narrow 10l3t i ran the yokomo lola body on it with pretty good luck.. just slammed that bad boy as low as i could.. not as stable as my 235mm conversion though.. i can't wait to get one of those new high downforce peugeot's that dale just re-released though.. post up that video, i deffinately want to see it..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #542
Tech Adept

Hi guys this class of racing sounds great e to me . I just hope there can be a resolve in the rules Batt/ shells . I to would love to see some videos of these cars going . Please guy post videos up . Pro 10 love it .
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #543
Tech Adept

I think Lipo is the oly way to go. Just take a low capacity Lipo (Orion 2400 for example) and a high turn motor (20.5, 21.5...)

My Pro10 will get 2S2P A123 cells soon (6V, 4600mAh)

Kyosho has beautiful bodies, take a look at the the new FW06 bodies
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #544
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Where are you guys starting for tire size? I'm new to pan cars, any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #545
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Hi guys this class of racing sounds great e to me . I just hope there can be a resolve in the rules Batt/ shells . I to would love to see some videos of these cars going . Please guy post videos up . Pro 10 love it .
I havent seen any videos of GT10/WGT racing but I know that there are videos of people when they were testing the cars. the biggest issue is the powerplant. I know at the IIC and at the Indoor Championships in Cleveland in November they are running 13.5 with 4 cells so hopefully this becomes the standard and we are able to build from there. which leads me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
I think Lipo is the oly way to go. Just take a low capacity Lipo (Orion 2400 for example) and a high turn motor (20.5, 21.5...)

My Pro10 will get 2S2P A123 cells soon (6V, 4600mAh)

Kyosho has beautiful bodies, take a look at the the new FW06 bodies

Kyosho indeed has some very nice bodies (Im partial to the Aston Martin myself) and I do agree that LiPo has a definite future with this class (which is why I have often posted having a 21.5/LiPo GT2 sort of class for Porsches, Ferraris and Aston Martins *oh my*) The WGT class can be for the Skylines, Corvettes, Alfa Competiziones, Maseratis, Vipers, Lotuses etc. These are cars people can identify with from FIA GT, ALMS, Speed World Challenge, Grand Am etc.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #546
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Keyz;4565350]Hey Losinut, (or anyone??) can you please give a suggestion for gearing of 4cell 27t and 4 cell 19t in a pan car like you ran? Feel free to PM me f you prefer, we need a starter ratio for testing. Can't find any suggestions anywhere!

Keyz, I would be happy to give you the info, 'cept, whem I made my notes,, I didn't write it down. Aren't I the brainiac !! sorry
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #547
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi nut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
Hey Losinut, (or anyone??) can you please give a suggestion for gearing of 4cell 27t and 4 cell 19t in a pan car like you ran? Feel free to PM me f you prefer, we need a starter ratio for testing. Can't find any suggestions anywhere!
Keyz, I would be happy to give you the info, 'cept, whem I made my notes,, I didn't write it down. Aren't I the brainiac !! sorry
Keep in mind for gearing that our home track is 200'x100', quite a bit bigger than the majority of the US tracks, where you seem to be running the GT10.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #548
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
here's what i know. if i can't run lipo, i'm not running..
I have to completely agree. I plan on picking up the CRC GenX 10. Since the P905B body is SO sweet, I'll probably go up to 235mm and run that. Not sure on the motor yet, but I'm sure it'll be 17.5 or slower.

One thing I do know is that no matter what mm, motor, body I run, I'll definitely be running Lipo.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #549
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Well for what its worth as much as I agree with the LiPo crowd, you cant please everybody in the interim. The folks at the IIC and US Champs are obviously looking at 4 cell as the way to go to start out. Youre gonna have people really in both camps (the 4 cell camp and then the LiPo camp such as Mr. tally and yourself Mr. Darkseid) and I have come around to the fact that LiPo is definitely something that is going to be important to the future growth and expansion of the class although we do not want to see these cars turn into a bunch of LiPo powered missiles. Ive mentioned this before but here is how Id do 10th pan:

GT1
4 cell/13.5
GT1 bodies

GT2
Lipo/21.5

HPI Posche 911 GT3
Kyosho Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
Kyosho Aston Martin DBR9
Kyosho Ferrari F430
HPI Honda S2000
HPI BMW M3 GT

GTP/LMP
235mm
LiPo/17.5
GTP/LMP bodies

I figure that way there is something for everyone. Thing is though that I think that as many people as can hopefully will support WGT in the interim and the class can grow which will allow for expansion to include dispensations for LiPo and that can only benefit the GTP 235mm class
Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #550
Regional Moderator

One of the things that I've noticed on this thread is that running a Lipo is almost universally associated with the car being too fast.

Now, I'm new to pan car, I admit, but last I checked, Lipo batteries don't determine how fast the car goes. Hell, my Tamiya mini has a Lipo in it, and it sure as hell isn't a missle. If you put a sensable motor in the car, the car will be sensable. If you put a retarded motor in the car, the car will be retarded.

Doesn't have anything to do with what the battery source is.

And at the risk of being controversial, I have to ask if these people making these cars and classes based around NiMH have took a look at the R/C market anytime recently??? LiPo is the focus, not NiMH. Yeah, I know change is tough(I was around for the switch from NiCD to NiMH...and all the crap that came with that change), but change is coming...PERIOD. And designing your new car or class to ONLY use a quickly receeding battery type is just foolhardy.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Well for what its worth as much as I agree with the LiPo crowd, you cant please everybody in the interim. The folks at the IIC and US Champs are obviously looking at 4 cell as the way to go to start out. Youre gonna have people really in both camps (the 4 cell camp and then the LiPo camp such as Mr. tally and yourself Mr. Darkseid) and I have come around to the fact that LiPo is definitely something that is going to be important to the future growth and expansion of the class although we do not want to see these cars turn into a bunch of LiPo powered missiles. Ive mentioned this before but here is how Id do 10th pan:

GT1
4 cell/13.5
GT1 bodies

GT2
Lipo/21.5

HPI Posche 911 GT3
Kyosho Aston Martin DBR9
Kyosho Ferrari F430
HPI Honda S2000
HPI BMW M3 GT

GTP/LMP
235mm
LiPo/17.5
GTP/LMP bodies

I figure that way there is something for everyone. Thing is though that I think that as many people as can hopefully will support WGT in the interim and the class can grow which will allow for expansion to include dispensations for LiPo and that can only benefit the GTP 235mm class
Great, a different division so that we can again spread the field super thin and everyone can go home with a trophy, how original. I say we do like nitro, 13.5/4cell/200mm, use the shells already outlined in the World GT specs, and kill the man with the ball. Until Lipo gets figured out for 4 cell, let's make due with what works (quite well, actually).
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #552
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post

GT2
Lipo/21.5

HPI Posche 911 GT3
Kyosho Aston Martin DBR9
Kyosho Ferrari F430
HPI Honda S2000
HPI BMW M3 GT

GTP/LMP
235mm
LiPo/17.5
GTP/LMP bodies
These two look pretty good to me.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #553
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Until Lipo gets figured out...
What exactly is there to "figure out"? You charge it, plug it in, and the car moves....

The fact is that there are A LOT of people who have actually run LiPo, seen the benefits, feel that running NiMH is just fighting change for the sake of fighting change, and will not go back to NiMH. So they are simply locked out of a this class until a bunch of old schoolers decide that LiPo has been "figured out"? Its time to stop pretending like Lipo is some kind of 'weird science' or something. The batteries work, they work better than NiMH, and its time to stop locking them out of classes. We went through this EXACT same crap with NiCD and NiMH and look how that turned out. Change happened anyway, no matter how people fought it, and the same will happen with NiMH and LiPo.

Last edited by Darkseid; 06-25-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #554
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Great, a different division so that we can again spread the field super thin and everyone can go home with a trophy, how original. I say we do like nitro, 13.5/4cell/200mm, use the shells already outlined in the World GT specs, and kill the man with the ball. Until Lipo gets figured out for 4 cell, let's make due with what works (quite well, actually).
I would say that I will be running 235 next year outdoor and if you ignore this class which everyone in Europe is running instead of 200mm I don't know why we always go the opposite direction and it always bites us in the end, remeber rubber tire VS foam tire look who won that battle

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #555
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
One of the things that I've noticed on this thread is that running a Lipo is almost universally associated with the car being too fast.

Now, I'm new to pan car, I admit, but last I checked, Lipo batteries don't determine how fast the car goes. Hell, my Tamiya mini has a Lipo in it, and it sure as hell isn't a missle. If you put a sensable motor in the car, the car will be sensable. If you put a retarded motor in the car, the car will be retarded.

Doesn't have anything to do with what the battery source is.

And at the risk of being controversial, I have to ask if these people making these cars and classes based around NiMH have took a look at the R/C market anytime recently??? LiPo is the focus, not NiMH. Yeah, I know change is tough(I was around for the switch from NiCD to NiMH...and all the crap that came with that change), but change is coming...PERIOD. And designing your new car or class to ONLY use a quickly receeding battery type is just foolhardy.
Well the fact is that when 10th pan fell out of favor back in the early part of this century it was more the motors than the batteries. speeds got out of control, cars became missiles and the class was cancelled by ROAR. Many of the cars out now (Im guessing the new Associated being the exception although there are still a few months until it officially hits shelves) can accomodate LiPo in some degree or another. Im not discounting that LiPo is the future. Really Id be interested to have Scotty and Boomer (the guys in charge of the IIC) and the guys in charge of the race in Cleveland weigh in with why they decided to go with 4 cell NiMH over LiPo. Anyway I wouldnt mind all three of my suggested classes allowing LiPo. Im working with what I know and what people are saying would work.

You mentioned Mr. Darkseid about how you LiPo powered Mini isnt a missile. what kind of motor do you run, because I think that motor will be what helps keep GT1, GT2 and GTP from becoming missiles. I remember seeing a video on the 10th pan car thread of a modified GTP blowing over going down a straightaway. If speeds can be kept down and something can be worked out to not only bring in new racers but also be something that can be an alternate option for folks who are not fans of where the price of touring car racing has been going, it can only help the class grow.

As for spreading the class super-thin as timmay is talking about, I do not want to see this happen immediately. this is a brand new class yet and still and having the one WGT/GT1 class to start should be the way to go. As the class gets to run at the IIC (Im interested to see what kind of numbers that class has right now) and the US Indoor Championships (we will see what happens with the Snowbirds) that will open up opportunities for manufacturer involvement and great promotion of the class which will help it grow and then as more people get involved, it will allow for the expansion of that to include GT2. GTP 235 still has a number of people that run the class (even if it is in small pockets) and I think that the 200mm and 235mm classes can work together to grow 10th pan as a whole and should be seen as partner classes not competing classes