Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'd vote for the NSX as well!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #527
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
what are the other two protoform bodies, not the corvette?

if the clues dropped on other sites are accurate and their alfa c8 and mosler 900's that'd be sweet.. i'd also like to see a saleen s7,
The new Protoform bodies will be the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione and the Maserati GT, a dream come true for me!

The premise for the GT class bodies seems to be front engined cars so the NSX and Saleen wouldn't fit in.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #528
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

So I guess we can assume that these bodies will be out in July (definitely nice to see an Alfa and a Maserati for this class. I wouldnt mind somebody painting up a Vitaphone scheme from FIA GT on the Maserati)
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #529
Tech Adept

I have read this thread from the beginning, and can see that the biggest hurdle is batt/motor combo. I don't have an answer for you. I do think that the sooner one is settled on the better start you'll get. I ran a Darkside I Force last year in our parking lot club against the nitro cars. I started with a 4 cell/19t, and could lap the field by the 4 minute mark, a 4 cell/27t was still faster but I had to really get my lines to get away from them. We run on a 75x100 area, and with the 19t it was a balancing act to get out of the corners fast, and was hardly ever able to WOT on the straight, maybe just a short burst at most. I used a HPI 200mm Saleen S7R body. We don't have a carpet track anywhere close so I have no input on that.

just my .02, but I could be wrong,

Laterz
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #530
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

here's what i know. if i can't run lipo, i'm not running..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #531
Tech Champion

We tested 13.5 Lipo and its quite a bit faster than mod sedan when you gear it right...which is too fast for most people.

If you run Lipo you will need to run 21.5 or 17.5 motors to have sane speeds that most racers can handle.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #532
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I suggested Lipo/21.5 in my post earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I do like having GT1 (4 cell/13.5) and GT2 (LiPo/21.5) I know its early but I think that a proactive move like that can only help things out.
I think a GT2 would be cool with F430 Porsche 911 and hopefully Protoform can work out a couple other GT2 bodies (like they have in the FIA GT championship) as we have plenty of GT1 bodies available from Protoform and HPI (and I think Kyosho even has a few)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #533
Tech Adept

Just a little info pertaining to the 21.5/lipo, that is the combo I run in VTA with the 4.3fdr(for our club) rule, as do most of the others here. Our best VTA lap is about 3 seconds slower than the best 13.5/lipo tc lap. Just for a sidenote JimmyMac has run his tc at our track, so our guys know the competion level he brings and the quality driver he is. Anyway, while 3 seconds sounds like a big difference, but when you are out there without much aero help, it is fast enough. I'm of the opinion that a nonballistic pan car would be much more attractive to newcomers/class changers, while still being a blast to drive. If need be a fdr rule could be implemented to balance things somewhat. It works pretty well in vta, as 4cell/27t runs almost equal lap times as a 21.5/lipo car, of equal wieght, only .3 seconds differnce and that could have been driver. Here again, this is just something to consider.
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #534
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi nut View Post
I started with a 4 cell/19t, and could lap the field by the 4 minute mark, a 4 cell/27t was still faster but I had to really get my lines to get away from them.
Hey Losinut, (or anyone??) can you please give a suggestion for gearing of 4cell 27t and 4 cell 19t in a pan car like you ran? Feel free to PM me f you prefer, we need a starter ratio for testing. Can't find any suggestions anywhere!

We are having a lot of discussion here about what we may do also, I think the class is going to start as 4cell 19t or 13.5 brushless, as these seem to be what ROAR considers to be the closest, ad by having options for both brushed and brushless it leaves the classes more open to new entries. But we need to do a lot of testing first, to make sure that is not too fast for our lower traction tracks.

When Lipo gets popular out here, then we will probably look at the alternative slower brushed/brushless motor combos.

For my money, I also think a close, reasonably quick but not too quick class(a tough balancing act!) will be what increases this class in popularity.
Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #535
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm skeptical about lipos in pan cars. For road course racing, the lipo/17.5 is waaay fast for most tracks and drivers, and the 21.5 is a PIA to gear. If and until we can hit the voltage mark and keep speeds manageable, I don't see that lipos are a good option. Perhaps the 4-cell solution is the right one and that Li-ion will be the answer in a year or two. Things are happening fast in this sport and it may be a mistake to over-commit to lipos when a more workable option is right around the corner.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #536
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hmmm, just a passing thought...

Has anyone tested a LIPO / Silver Can motor combo?

Just wondering what it would be like?
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Have you guys considered what the oval pan car guys run? It would seem to me that their classes would correlate directly to what you want to do, since they run either 4 cell or lipo.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #538
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
I'm skeptical about lipos in pan cars. For road course racing, the lipo/17.5 is waaay fast for most tracks and drivers, and the 21.5 is a PIA to gear. If and until we can hit the voltage mark and keep speeds manageable, I don't see that lipos are a good option. Perhaps the 4-cell solution is the right one and that Li-ion will be the answer in a year or two. Things are happening fast in this sport and it may be a mistake to over-commit to lipos when a more workable option is right around the corner.

+1

Yeah, like maybe a 4.8v lipo option when and if they become available.
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #539
Tech Elite

Id like to see something workable with LiPo at some point (that is why I think 21.5/LiPo GT2 would be a good class option with 13.5/4 cell GT1/WGT as the other) right now people are tuning more toward 13.5/4 cell in these early stages so Im behind it and as the class grows and more people are interested in running it then you could see a LiPo class.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #540
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
here's what i know. if i can't run lipo, i'm not running..
Tally - I should send you a video of my I-Fource with Lipo and 10.5 brushless. Found a good Nitro GTP body that getts it almost planted as much as my 235 car. If I run it without additional weight for the lipo, I can run with the 235 cars. Add the weight and it slows just a little.

Looks like we are going 4 cell 13.5 on the carpet this winter, which should be good for our track at 60' x 120'.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote