R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Checkpoint lipo balancer charger/discharger

I decided to get a Checkpoint balancer for my Orion 3600 lipo batteries to check how equal the two cells are in each pack.

1) Tried the balancer with my GFX lipo-enabled charger and thought it was working...But, not total sure. Per the lights on the balancer, it was only charging to the #1 cell.

2) Tried it with my LRP Pulsar 3 charger and it would not function at all.

3) Tried it as a discharger (no charger) and it seemed to work fine. Took about 10-15 minutes which tells me that my cells were not very balanced. According to the lights on the balancer, it was only discharging on the #1 cell. Pretty sure this operation was successful.

Any ideas? Thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

External balancers do not stop the charge on one cell or the other. They actively apply a small discharge current to the appropriate cell to in order to keep the two cells at the same voltage.

The balancer should work fine with the Pulsar or any other charger. Perhaps you didn't have it in passthrough/charge mode?
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
External balancers do not stop the charge on one cell or the other. They actively apply a small discharge current to the appropriate cell to in order to keep the two cells at the same voltage.

The balancer should work fine with the Pulsar or any other charger. Perhaps you didn't have it in passthrough/charge mode?

The Checkpoint balancer acknowledged the passthrough/charge mode with my GFX but not my Pulsar. Followed the same startup procedure for both brands of chargers.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote