R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It could be the way this person was charging or it could have been the charger itself. When I used it I told him that I will use my own charger (Turbo 35 GFX) and mine charged without needing to be balanced as well as Lings packs. Oh well.....what works for some may not work for others. All I know is BOR better bring some ponies with that longer straight that's being added tomorrow....ha ha ha ha
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
It could be the way this person was charging or it could have been the charger itself. When I used it I told him that I will use my own charger (Turbo 35 GFX) and mine charged without needing to be balanced as well as Lings packs. Oh well.....what works for some may not work for others. All I know is BOR better bring some ponies with that longer straight that's being added tomorrow....ha ha ha ha
I know, I need to buy the 18T pulleys and long belts to gear it way up

I will have some power... I hope
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
I know, I need to buy the 18T pulleys and long belts to gear it way up

I will have some power... I hope

The new SMC packs have a little more bottom end punch compared to the Orions. I still haven't tried the Trak powers yet but no one has impressed me with them as of yet. I would like to try a core pack though. It looks punchy. What kind of connectors are on a trak power lipo? I'm not using the 18 pulleys the first time out. I'm running mod so I don't need to hit those low ratio's.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #19
Tech Adept

All packs need to be balanced at some point in time. Two of the main factors that throw a pack out of balance are the amp draw and capacity used. The hotter the motor the more the pack will tend to go out of balance ie; using silvercan, you will probablly never have to balance the pack, using 3.5BL the pack is more likely to go out of balance. The more mAH you use in a cycle the more likely the pack will be out of balance ie; if you just run 5 min the pack will stay in balance, but if you always run until you trip the cutoff the more likely you'll have to balance the pack.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #20
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Honestly guys I think every pack out there has a chance that it will need to be balanced. I know its great an all to have a pack that really doesn't need it, but, I rather error on the side of balancing than not and have some safety issues instead.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
The new SMC packs have a little more bottom end punch compared to the Orions. I still haven't tried the Trak powers yet but no one has impressed me with them as of yet. I would like to try a core pack though. It looks punchy. What kind of connectors are on a trak power lipo? I'm not using the 18 pulleys the first time out. I'm running mod so I don't need to hit those low ratio's.
Trakpower is like the orion (with bullet connectors..)

Im guessing you bought some SMC packs? You like them? Yeah, I figured that.. Im running 19T, or stock this year (I think)
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_ View Post
The more mAH you use in a cycle the more likely the pack will be out of balance ie; if you just run 5 min the pack will stay in balance, but if you always run until you trip the cutoff the more likely you'll have to balance the pack.
That might be why the Orion 3600 went out of balance and the 4900's didn't. I've never put more then 3400 (2 full practice runs) back into the 4900's but have added 3200 to the 3600's which is closer to its capacity.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I will be using the Trackpower VBalancer. Initially I was wondering how to use this but then noticed that the third or moddle balancing socket on the Orion lipo is located on the reverse side of the pack.

Last edited by Canuck; 03-02-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Trakpower is like the orion (with bullet connectors..)

Im guessing you bought some SMC packs? You like them? Yeah, I figured that.. Im running 19T, or stock this year (I think)
I haven't purchased any yet but we have factory driver's all around and we always share our new top secret goodies so that we can compare them to other products out there and report our findings back to our sponsors. That way changes may or may not be made or the version two products come out even better. You'll see what the deal is once we all start racing at Speedworld.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_ View Post
All packs need to be balanced at some point in time. Two of the main factors that throw a pack out of balance are the amp draw and capacity used. The hotter the motor the more the pack will tend to go out of balance ie; using silvercan, you will probablly never have to balance the pack, using 3.5BL the pack is more likely to go out of balance. The more mAH you use in a cycle the more likely the pack will be out of balance ie; if you just run 5 min the pack will stay in balance, but if you always run until you trip the cutoff the more likely you'll have to balance the pack.
I agree with your statement 100% Running mod with a hot a hot lap the actual 5 min race and two laps after the race was over my Orion 4800 only took in 2847 so I wasn't near the capacity of the pack and with Track power being a 4900 pack it should be even longer before it should need to be balanced. All this is in theory of coarse.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
Tech Master

I made my own balancer from a Great planes equinox, it was easy following the directions on Orions web sight. My old 4800 packs were on the balancer no more than 5-10 seconds, and probably have close to 100 cycles. My 3200 didnt even light up at all. Its a testiment to there design and quality. The next packs I purchase will probably be Trakpower since I've read good things about them too.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
I haven't purchased any yet but we have factory driver's all around and we always share our new top secret goodies so that we can compare them to other products out there and report our findings back to our sponsors. That way changes may or may not be made or the version two products come out even better. You'll see what the deal is once we all start racing at Speedworld.
Whats better? Punch, voltage??

I havent even read the thread on the batts... I guess I will wait and find out

New SMC lipos, or a 18R to race with my friends... IDK
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Default lipo punch

Punch is all a numbers game.... In theory the higher the voltage the faster you go but I'm not too sure that's always the case..

C rating x Ah = amps of punch.. The more Amps of constant discharge the more punch you can get....

For example:

Orion platinum 15C @ 4800mAh...15x4.8... =72A
Orion carbon 20C @ 3200mAh.... 20x3.2= 64A
Orion carbon 25c @ 3800mAh... 25x3.8= 95A

Orion will be re-setting the benchmark with their new Kokam lipo packs this August....

3800mah 30C pack. Carbon Edition V.2 30C x 3.8Ah= 114A
3400mah 25C pack. Carbon Budget Edition 25C x 3.4Ah= 85A
5000mah 20C pack. Platinum Edition V. 2 (Long run-time)20Cx5.0Ah= 100A
2400mah 20C pack. Entry level lipo 20C x 2.4Ah= 48A

Something for everyone...

I'm not boasting Orion or anything, just an example... Other manufacturers make awesome packs too, I presently use Orion, Trakpower and Reedy packs and they're all great!...

Brad

On another note, I've managed to get my Trakpower V-Balance to work with a Losi 4s LiPo... I had to modify a harness from Electrifly but it works... I spoke with Losi and they swore up and down that you can ONLY balance and charge the Losi Starter Box 4s LiPo with their Losi Charger/Balancer unit... LIES!

Its working great for me so far... no issues! The V-balance is better than sliced bread IMHO!

Last edited by bradius; 06-18-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added post-script note...
bradius is offline   Reply With Quote