Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2 >

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got to love PCs. I have some kind of spam filter and not all emails come through. So if you have questions let me know ?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Got to love PCs. I have some kind of spam filter and not all emails come through. So if you have questions let me know ?
Cool, ill PM you one of these days. Its finals week and im doing homework-- well, procrastinating a bit.. and im at work.. so- i can bounce in here and there..

Keith
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just a couple of points.... I recently swithced to lipo (SMC 4000 of course). I bought a Hyperion duo (great charger) however, in a moment of mental weakness I decided to use the provided hyperion balance plug board instead of stepping up for the correct adaptor. This brain fart cost me a brand new SMC 4000 pack and taught me two things.

1) Incorrect balance adaptor provided numbers that were incorrect and still allowed me to charge the pack well enough to destroy it. Hmmmmm
2) The pack went south, yes, but not in a ball of flames and a mushroom cloud like some would have you believe, the case just opened up a little on the seam as the cells expanded and the voltage numbers went into the toilet.

I'm not afraid of LIPOs as a result of this experience (read stupidity) but I have a greater desire to follow the correct and safe process when charging them.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quick question 4 u guys?
What do you guys think about the lrp pulsar 3 ?
And if u were to pick between the lrp and the hyperion, which one would u go with? and y.
And yes i know the lrp does not have a balancer, so i went ahead and got a maxamps ballancer. Thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Stephen. Have you been racing allot ?

Keith: Let me know if you have any questions ? You will see Lipos are pretty cool and relatively easy to work with.
Hey Danny,
I haven't been racing much, I have been real busy with college this semester and working full time as well. However, I am going to run the Novak race in January as I am off of school for a month!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by pcar951
Just a couple of points.... I recently swithced to lipo (SMC 4000 of course). I bought a Hyperion duo (great charger) however, in a moment of mental weakness I decided to use the provided hyperion balance plug board instead of stepping up for the correct adaptor. This brain fart cost me a brand new SMC 4000 pack and taught me two things.

1) Incorrect balance adaptor provided numbers that were incorrect and still allowed me to charge the pack well enough to destroy it. Hmmmmm
2) The pack went south, yes, but not in a ball of flames and a mushroom cloud like some would have you believe, the case just opened up a little on the seam as the cells expanded and the voltage numbers went into the toilet.

I'm not afraid of LIPOs as a result of this experience (read stupidity) but I have a greater desire to follow the correct and safe process when charging them.

Sorry to hear about that. You should of contacted me I would of helped on the price of a replacement pack. I feel bad when racers have bad luck like this and if I can help I will gladly so so. I assume you now have the JST-XH board ?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
Hey Danny,
I haven't been racing much, I have been real busy with college this semester and working full time as well. However, I am going to run the Novak race in January as I am off of school for a month!
Email me when it gets closer to the race. Nothing like a month off that is great.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Email me when it gets closer to the race. Nothing like a month off that is great.
Looking forward to racing as a well deserved break! Will do.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by nitro ho
Quick question 4 u guys?
What do you guys think about the lrp pulsar 3 ?
And if u were to pick between the lrp and the hyperion, which one would u go with? and y.
And yes i know the lrp does not have a balancer, so i went ahead and got a maxamps ballancer. Thanks guys.

A charger with built in balancing will be allot less of a hassle and it's calibrated with the balancer. That being said you can claibrate the LRP with your balancer and that should work also but then if you use the charger without the balancer you need to recalibrate it so it's more hassle.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A charger with built in balancing will be allot less of a hassle and it's calibrated with the balancer. That being said you can claibrate the LRP with your balancer and that should work also but then if you use the charger without the balancer you need to recalibrate it so it's more hassle.
Danny,

Sent you a PM. Thank you!

- Chris
Old 12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Balancing SMC with V balance--Trackpower / Orion type

After several attempts to find the right adapter, buying 2 that didn't work, I found the correct adapter for the SMC. There are a few misleading posts on this topic in this and other threads....Thought I'd save someone else the headache. Here is the correct, direct plug in, no hassle adapter that allows the V balance (Orion / Trakpower) type balancer to work on the SMC 7.4v.

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1940

Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Company Representative

Thanks for the info that is very helpful as balance connectors are very confusing.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the info that is very helpful as balance connectors are very confusing.
Danny,

thanks for the quick response. i sent you an email.

- Chris
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

No problem....forgot to mention that after prob. 20+ runs on 2 SMC 5000's that neither actually required balancing....now I know though.

Excellent and stable batteries.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Company Representative

Balance charging is not needed as packs should stay balance for a long time but if you do balance charge it doesn't hurt.

When we cycle our packs we use balance chargers and the reason why we cycle our packs is to make sure they are no cells with minor shorts which caus inbalance. We pick these out and send them back as these will tend to have issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.