SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

What methods of heating have been working out the best at the track?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I haven't tested all temps but I would say 120-140 farenheit should give good results.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OMG THAT TOOK ALONG TIME!

i just read through both threads tonight... 4 hrs later, im here!

anyways, it seems as if these packs are awesome in TC but what about anywhere else?

myself,ive got a AE TC3 (yes, its old) but its indestructable and when we make a track and race socially, im almost ALWAYS the last one standing... but with my ancient nimh, everyone has moved to lipos and i wanna show them up

also, im building an offroad conversion of a hyper 8.5 PRO. ive decided 4s will be enough for me, and getting any pack to fit is a minor issue...
the question im seeking is: what happens when i put 2 of the 5000mah packs in series, and only run 1 connection to the esc (mamba monster). if i set the lipo cutoff to 3.1v/cell, what would happen if 1 pack is weaker and dropped below this magic number, while the other cells are happily above the cutoff?

any questions? is it worth running 2 seperate cutoff units = more clutter and fiddling around... and how long will these packs last geting heavily used in my setup? (obviously harder than any racing tc setup (speed runs could have the same effect)

thanks, and i looked for an answer and can happily tell you that this has not been asked in this thread yet!

ryan
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by poorbie:(
the question im seeking is: what happens when i put 2 of the 5000mah packs in series, and only run 1 connection to the esc (mamba monster). if i set the lipo cutoff to 3.1v/cell, what would happen if 1 pack is weaker and dropped below this magic number, while the other cells are happily above the cutoff?

ryan
I'm getting two SMC 5000 LiPos for a 1/8th buggy conversion.

I suggest you do three things:

1) When you order them, order from someplace where you are dealing with a live person that you can talk to, tell them what you are doing and ask that you get two packs with run times close together. The SMC packs come already cycled with the run times marked on the box, so it would be easy for someone to pick two that are close together.

2) Set you cutoff higher than 3.V/cell, something liKe 3.V cell. That will give you a cushion.

3) Ideally, make a balancing harness and input harness so you can charge them as one S battery pack. Failing that, Charge them on the same charger, one at a time so they end up with the same state of charge before you run them.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I haven't tested all temps but I would say 120-140 farenheit should give good results.
Taking this one step further. Keep the pack heated to 140 even after the pack has completed a charge. Remove from the heating pad or sack and then re-peak the pack just before you go out to run using the standard Lipo charge on the GFX or a compatable charger. I have seen an increase in up front voltage or rip by re-peaking or re-topping the pack while it's around 130-140 degrees.

I leave my packs in the "wrapped-up-like-a-burrito" heating pad just prior to a run. The heat in the pack reminds me of a 10 amp charged NIHM pack. Nice and toasty come race time for that nasty up front voltage.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Company Representative

Were thinking of changing our Lipo case so the wires would come out on top of the casing. What I would like to know is in what corner should we put the wires ? When looking at a sedan would you rather have the wires on the outside front of the pack or the outside rear ?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Were thinking of changing our Lipo case so the wires would come out on top of the casing. What I would like to know is in what corner should we put the wires ? When looking at a sedan would you rather have the wires on the outside front of the pack or the outside rear ?
Are you wanting to do a "stick pack" wiring or like the Orion packs as far as looks go?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Company Representative

The wires would come out on top in the corner just like the Core pack. I'm just wondering where would it be best to have the wires come out.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

The wires would come out on top in the corner just like the Core pack. I'm just wondering where would it be best to have the wires come out.
I got ya! IMHO rear outside.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Tony - What type of heating pad are you using?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Danny,

On My Xray t2008 sedan it would work either way as long as its on the outside. It will also work on my Losi XXXT CR truck either way...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

when looking at the top of a sedan i woudl like the wire coming out the top right towards the front of the car. So call it the Front Right corner
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Outside front, assuming the top is the (narrower side of the case).
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

When looking at a sedan would you rather have the wires on the outside front of the pack or the outside rear ?
I'd say outside rear. Most top decks are wider and more heavily reinforced in the front so there are less obsticles to fish thru. Also, puts that little extra wire weight directly across from the motor to help a bit with balance.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

hello danny/smc, everyone will have their preference in wiring but i truly believe in the trakpower, orion, checkpoint style to be the best overall, but i can easily handle using deans or even traxxas if it was best( i bought 2 packs earlier today) something to think about, thanks bro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.