R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #1336
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is no problem with people posting issues here as with any type of battery issues can happen. Lipos have proven to be very reliable and have very good cycle life but when a Lipo has an issue it will swell up and this will never go away just like some NiMH cells will vent or shortout. We do have a limited warranty on our Lipos.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #1337
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Are the packs the new top wire cases or the older side exit cases ?

It is the older side exit cases... Please help... no intention of broadcasting any issues... just need some help!!... have full confidence in the product... if not would not have purchased 4 of them... only one of the packs gave me problem... Thanks
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #1338
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MaTt 93

Hi danny,
can the older side wire pack cases be replaced ??

SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOOSER !!
MaTt 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #1339
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Danny are you grading the 24C hard case packs with numbers like the 28C packs?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #1340
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I was wondering the same thing also. My brand new 5000mah lipo case split apart at the seams and I was wondering if you sell replacement cases separatley. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #1341
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Im sorry but I really think SMC screwed the pooch on those packs.
Yes they are fast ! But the wires comming out the side like that really kills the flexibility of use for those batteries. you cant use them in a losi touring car or a TM. For that matter any tub chassis (off road) as the wires will eventually get distroyed from the pinch point where they come out. Furthermore they just had to pick a different ballence port connector than everyone else did. Don't get me wrong here these cells rock on the track! But the case and connectivity are less than adequate for my standards. I also would expect some kind of loop or notch to keep that monster in my car.Orion doesnt seem to have any problems making a case thats not only nice looking but functional and with the connectivity i would expect from a professional level battery pack. Sorry Danny....
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #1342
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Im sorry but I really think SMC screwed the pooch on those packs.
Yes they are fast ! But the wires comming out the side like that really kills the flexibility of use for those batteries. you cant use them in a losi touring car or a TM. For that matter any tub chassis (off road) as the wires will eventually get distroyed from the pinch point where they come out. Furthermore they just had to pick a different ballence port connector than everyone else did. Don't get me wrong here these cells rock on the track! But the case and connectivity are less than adequate for my standards. I also would expect some kind of loop or notch to keep that monster in my car.Orion doesnt seem to have any problems making a case thats not only nice looking but functional and with the connectivity i would expect from a professional level battery pack. Sorry Danny....
You must not be aware that the case changed a while ago. The wires now exit the case from the top. I have one of the first side exit packs. They work fine in a 008 and a losi XXXT without much of a mod.

The Losi car and the Magic are not very popular cars. I can see a manufacture being concerned more with cars that are popular and work well on the track.

I could car less what the case looked like. Just make what is fast and functional.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #1343
Tech Fanatic

Substance trumps style on the track. When I can shave a tenth per lap off my time by having a nice looking and functional case, we'll talk.
Don't flame....I get the point.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #1344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
you cant use them in a losi touring car
I have been running the smc packs in my losi since last march, in fact most of the guys at my local track who have a losi use the smc.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #1345
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Side wire packs fit fine in a type-r, 3/4 of the type-r at our track have the 4000 pack, I have 2 in both my cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #1346
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

The new one or the old one ? Doesnt the old one's wires hit the belt?
and well. none of the off roaders could use the old ones. I'd love to see some kind of rounded cell shape on the bottom of the pack. If you havnt had issues with one comming out , you more than likely will. One guy will t-bone you and out it comes! They are fast packs aren't they. As for asthetics well.... I like my cars to look nice too. Did you get a look at the chsck point 5400? wtf were they thinking.. heatshrink... red crome coating flakin off all over the place. Sheesh!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #1347
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
The new one or the old one ? Doesn't the old one's wires hit the belt?
and well. none of the off roaders could use the old ones. I'd love to see some kind of rounded cell shape on the bottom of the pack. If you havnt had issues with one comming out , you more than likely will. One guy will t-bone you and out it comes! They are fast packs aren't they. As for asthetics well.... I like my cars to look nice too. Did you get a look at the chsck point 5400? wtf were they thinking.. heatshrink... red crome coating flakin off all over the place. Sheesh!
you flip the pack over so they come out the other side.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #1348
Tech Master

isnt the servo right there ?
or the speedo if u rotate it ?
Ill stick to my orion packs. I like the connectivity and balence port way more .
and didnt you have to care some of the chassis to get it under there ? thats something else i wouldnt like to have to do. Dont make it a project .. asthetics are a lot to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #1349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Everyone tells you that it fits, and you still doubt it....nice
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #1350
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Then why are you here. Everybody is happy with their SMC packs. SMC or bust.
Quote:
Ill stick to my orion packs. I like the connectivity and balence port way more .
and didnt you have to care some of the chassis to get it under there ? thats something else i wouldnt like to have to do. Dont make it a project .. asthetics are a lot to me.
I12PonU is offline   Reply With Quote