R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #1306
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
Did some testing during the Halloween race ... Danny had sent me a lipo and some new 4600 cells that had some awesome numbers on them... I asked for them since some of the guys here found sub c's faster then lipos. But i did not have any that were fresh.. So during practice i went back to back to back...

lap times were as follows....

First practice out .. SMC 28c/5000 Lipo fast lap 10.05 avg 10.33 for run
2nd practice out 10 mins later ..SMC EnerG 4600 fast lap 10.10 avg 10.45
3rd practice out 15 mins later with 28c/5000 lipo warmed. fast lap 9.92 avg 10.25

All my fast laps were run in the first 10 laps.... I could tell when i put the warmed lipo in the car vs the other two. This was all done with a 10.5 But i am convinced there will be no more sub c's in my Touring car anymore....

Danny once again did a awesome job on research... When other top drivers were going back to cells because they were slower with there so called higher C rating lipos.. I went faster with my 28C/5000 lipo Great job Danny...

Mike
This kind of feedback from a top driver does so much more for me than race results, or any other kind of marketing. Someone give this guy a raise. And while you're at it, encourage your other top guys to get on here and share their experiences with us.

Thanks for the candid, detailed report Mike.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #1307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For your info.. I did heat my lipo with a normal heating pad for back aches etc.. I would charge the lipo put them in the heating pad about 20 mins before i ran and the temp would be close to 110 when i took them out for my heat.. They would cool down on the outside quick but you could still tell when it was heated vs not heated..

On a side note i did on accident almost have a major problem, This happend during practice. I charged my lipo and then threw it in the heater and then i decided to go get something to eat and forgot i threw it in the heater.. So it was in there approx over a hour... BAD mistake.. I realized it and when i went to take it out the thing had swelled up like she was going to blow... So i put it in the lipo sack and waited and waited.. It shrank back down to normal size within about 20 minutes. But i have not run it or did anything with it at this time.. The pack was still fully charged when I checked the voltage.. So let this be a warning and not let the packs sit over 30 minutes in there... It is obvious that the warming is causing chemical reaction of some sort for it to swell like this..

Mike
Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #1308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
For your info.. I did heat my lipo with a normal heating pad for back aches etc.. I would charge the lipo put them in the heating pad about 20 mins before i ran and the temp would be close to 110 when i took them out for my heat.. They would cool down on the outside quick but you could still tell when it was heated vs not heated..

On a side note i did on accident almost have a major problem, This happend during practice. I charged my lipo and then threw it in the heater and then i decided to go get something to eat and forgot i threw it in the heater.. So it was in there approx over a hour... BAD mistake.. I realized it and when i went to take it out the thing had swelled up like she was going to blow... So i put it in the lipo sack and waited and waited.. It shrank back down to normal size within about 20 minutes. But i have not run it or did anything with it at this time.. The pack was still fully charged when I checked the voltage.. So let this be a warning and not let the packs sit over 30 minutes in there... It is obvious that the warming is causing chemical reaction of some sort for it to swell like this..

Mike
No more 8-course meals for you Mr. Blackstock...

I only use the lowest setting on my heating pad...Gets the SMC5000 to between 110-130 degrees over a fairly long period of time WHILE CHARGING IN MY LIPO SACK.

Is there a reason you separated the heating from the charging? You don't have to tell anyone else...

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #1309
Tech Addict

Bill,

No reason.. I did not find a difference when i charged when heating or just heated after the charge.. So i charged in the lipo sack then popped it in the heater about 20-30 mins before i ran and that was it ...

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #1310
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Mike:
is it possible that when the pack swelled in the heater, it wasnt necessarily the cells expanding, but moreso the air inside the sealed pack?
i ask this because i had a pack swell during its first run on a big track and temps got a bit higher than expected, but after a few minutes after the run it went back to normal size, has also worked without issue ever since.
-Mark
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #1311
Tech Champion

Quote:
Bill,

No reason.. I did not find a difference when i charged when heating or just heated after the charge.. So i charged in the lipo sack then popped it in the heater about 20-30 mins before i ran and that was it ...

Mike
Got it...Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #1312
Tech Addict

mok... I am really not sure. But anything is possible. I am going to the track tonight and will run it. Danny might know more about this since he has done such extensive testing on all fronts for lipos.

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
Mike:
is it possible that when the pack swelled in the heater, it wasnt necessarily the cells expanding, but moreso the air inside the sealed pack?
i ask this because i had a pack swell during its first run on a big track and temps got a bit higher than expected, but after a few minutes after the run it went back to normal size, has also worked without issue ever since.
-Mark
We have seen this as well locally. Seems to return to normal size and continues to function without any issues. I would suggest watching your heat more closely.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #1314
Tech Addict

Just a update on the pack that swelled while heating it.. I ran it 5 times last night and the pack ran awesome each run with no swelling what so ever..

Mike
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #1315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

A jacket or pants pocket works pretty well for warming packs, takes them to just above 90*/f (assuming you're wearing the pants or jacket). Great to hear SMC's product is working so well. I'm about ready for some new lipos and I don't think I need to shop any more.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #1316
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

The shop I help out at has some new SMC 4100 24C packs and some I think 5200 24C packs in stock. They do look nice and looking to get two of the 4100 packs to try out.

Anyone tried these out that would like to comment?
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #1317
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
The shop I help out at has some new SMC 4100 24C packs and some I think 5200 24C packs in stock. They do look nice and looking to get two of the 4100 packs to try out.

With those lower C numbers (for SMC) I assume that these are not their top level packs. Should still be good for some racing applications...offroad?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #1318
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
With those lower C numbers (for SMC) I assume that these are not their top level packs. Should still be good for some racing applications...offroad?
Yeah they will be used only for offroad road racing. 2wd mod, 4wd mod and my Slash truck. I have been running Trakpower 4900's at this time but want to get a few more packs and pricing is excellent on the 4100 and 5200 24C packs at the shop. I won't be running any touring cars with them.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #1319
Tech Champion

Makes sense to me.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #1320
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post

99% of the racers out there will not be able to tell a difference. Blackstock said that he could not tell the difference between the 28 adn 24C packs. For around 50.00 less they are perfect for the average racer.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote