R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #1141
Tech Elite
 
Mike Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Area 51
Posts: 3,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
how many packs is everyone else using on a race day? i figured you'd need at least two, one in the car and one on the charger. is there enough time to charge a pack between races?
I use one pack per class that i'm running, so usually 2 sedan classes would need 2 packs....it usually only takes about 20 minutes to repeak.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy Power - Sweep - Protoform - TQ Wire - Lacher paint
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #1142
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Having two is nice so you can make setup changes while one is charging. It's also nice for practice. It makes 1C charging a little easier to tolerate as well.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #1143
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

I only used 1 pak for the entire pactice and racing all i did was repeak after every race and then i would discharge at nite then a new full charge in the morning i was using a heating pad to get the temp up my chage rate was ten amps...I ran 13.5 and 10.5 ten runs on one pak and it kept getting better and the pak was two months old...take that sub c lol ...Later Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #1144
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

It's good to see so many talented drivers praising LiPo after IIC. I wonder if we'll start to see car designs that take advantage of them? How about a beefed up FK04 with modern updates?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #1145
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's good to see so many talented drivers praising LiPo after IIC. I wonder if we'll start to see car designs that take advantage of them? How about a beefed up FK04 with modern updates?
Yeap Lipo is here to stay! I love it after running it most of the summer and at the IIC! Its simply easy and FAST every run! What was most impressive is that I did not hear of one single failure at the event and only know of 2 bad nimh cells when they shorted out against each other.

I used one SMC 5000 the whole week in vegas and it was fast from start to end. No more worrying about when to peak your battery either...we should never hear "Minute grace....my battery wasnt charged"!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #1146
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Also for guys running the 5000 pack I will have lipo weights that go in the chassis in the next few days like the Xray team and I used at the IIC. They fit perfect in the 3.5mil thick Xray chassis and add back the exact weight (4.7oz) you loose with a lipo. We will have a slightly thinner/lighter version in a week or so for other cars.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #1147
Tech Master
 
adamge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Saskatoon,SK Canada
Posts: 1,654
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Having two is nice so you can make setup changes while one is charging. It's also nice for practice. It makes 1C charging a little easier to tolerate as well.
Nice? Easy to tolerate? Is this racing or gardening?

hehe, just hassling you. How was the big race experience?

-Adam
__________________
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #1148
Tech Fanatic
 
TimV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a F8 hauler bag
Posts: 860
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
The 3200s and 4000s with the new cases have started to ship out late last week and the 5000s should be in this week. The saddle pack is also shipping.
Is this going to be a running change, or a new part number for the new cases. I wouldn't trade my current SMC 4000 pack for anything, other than a new one. One battery all summer long. TQ'ed and won our last race meet with it.
__________________
- - - Express Motorsports - - - MW Designs - - - Mimi Wong Clan - - - Final Thoughts Racing - - -
- - - Team AKA - - - RDsquared - - -

It's the year 2010. Shouldn't vacuum cleaners be quieter by now?
TimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #1149
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Nice? Easy to tolerate? Is this racing or gardening?

hehe, just hassling you. How was the big race experience?
Not bad, I had a great time. Most people were very friendly, and a few held on to grudges. I'll definitely go back some day, but I want to make sure I'm a bit more of a contender first.

It was funny, the two people I gave the most grief online (Jack & Danny) were the nicest in person, and guys I've never even heard of were the most angry. Ah well. I made amends where I could. It's certainly no fault but my own.

I ran warmed SMC 5000's all week in 17.5 (where voltage matters the most) and nobody pulled me on the straights, even the NiMH users. The turns, well... that's not 'cause of voltage. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #1150
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,560
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Also for guys running the 5000 pack I will have lipo weights that go in the chassis in the next few days like the Xray team and I used at the IIC. They fit perfect in the 3.5mil thick Xray chassis and add back the exact weight (4.7oz) you loose with a lipo. We will have a slightly thinner/lighter version in a week or so for other cars.

EA
EA - do you have any pics of your weights? how are you fitting a 5000 SMC in an XRay? is it hanging off to the side or angled like in a Corally?
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #1151
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Not bad, I had a great time. Most people were very friendly, and a few held on to grudges. I'll definitely go back some day, but I want to make sure I'm a bit more of a contender first.

It was funny, the two people I gave the most grief online (Jack & Danny) were the nicest in person, and guys I've never even heard of were the most angry. Ah well. I made amends where I could. It's certainly no fault but my own.

I ran warmed SMC 5000's all week in 17.5 (where voltage matters the most) and nobody pulled me on the straights, even the NiMH users. The turns, well... that's not 'cause of voltage. :-D
It was good meeting you finally.....Glad to see you, jack and Danny talking without any cussing or fighting! LOL

Good job making the main as well...You looked like a contender to me....just needed a little more luck.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #1152
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
EA - do you have any pics of your weights? how are you fitting a 5000 SMC in an XRay? is it hanging off to the side or angled like in a Corally?
I am still unpacking my stuff now. I will take pics tomorrow of them installed in the car. I put the tray in the slots like normal and then angle the lipo like the corally. It balanced out perfect and could tell zero difference on track handeling vrs a nimh pack. With the lighter tray on the xray there was a little difference in handleing. Jeff cuffs ran one of the lighter ones in his corally and said it made all the difference in the world.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #1153
Super Moderator
 
Kraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 6,493
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

When the rest of the world goes Lipo then you might see more Lipo influenced cars if they think that Lipo is here to stay for awhile. Until then, probabaly not.
__________________
There is great need for a sarcasm font.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #1154
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
It was good meeting you finally.....Glad to see you, jack and Danny talking without any cussing or fighting! LOL

Good job making the main as well...You looked like a contender to me....just needed a little more luck.
Thanks man, it was good meeting you as well. Even in my best run, I had to move out of the way several times to let faster guys go by, just to see them crash in front of me and repeat the process again. Seems to me, being faster is the solution. I'm going into hiding this winter to practice as many days as possible without getting divorced.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #1155
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

what pads were you guys using in vegas to heat up the lipos ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
* * * BRAND NEW * * * FTB4, SMC 5000 28c Hardcase 7.4 Lipo, JR Z8800s jpeck R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 10-26-2008 04:03 AM
FOR SALE: SMC 4000 28C HARDCASE LIPO'S commander Australia For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2008 11:08 AM
SMC 4000 mah Hardcase Lipos 28C NIB rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 09-12-2008 11:20 AM
SMC 28C 4000 hardcase lipo fred kellner R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-09-2008 08:31 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net