R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #811
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where are you hooking up the voltage sensing leads ?

When you say your discharging the cells down at .10-.12 amps are you discharging each cell down individually or the pack ?
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #812
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Danny,

Thanks for shipping the 5000's to nats. These batteries are absolutely amazing, they gave me more power than I needed to put the car in both A mains. They are the best lipo out there and I proved it to myself at nats.

thanks again
Mark Burt
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #813
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Where are you hooking up the voltage sensing leads ?

When you say your discharging the cells down at .10-.12 amps are you discharging each cell down individually or the pack ?
I'm using the equinox function "quick balance" (after dumping the pack at 35 amps on the turbo) which as per the manual is a soft discharge at .12 amps and when the pack equalized I took the pack off the balancer and charged through the deans plugs. I figure this is safe. The GFX will charge the pack as long as the voltage dosen't drop below 2.85v per cell (5.7 for the pack) and the equinox will not quick balance if there is a cell below 2.7v (it only took about 15 minutes to balance the packs after I hooked them up to the equinox). I didn't use a sensor on the quick balance. If I am mistaken please let me know.
Casey

Last edited by mojoman; 06-24-2008 at 06:32 PM.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #814
Company Representative

In my testing I noticed that balancing the pack like your doing is actually not balancing the pack. The only true way to balance a pack is by using a balance charge. By using a balancer as a discharge balance only is actually getting the cells out of balance.

When using your Equinox in Link mode where we you attaching the voltage sensing leads of the GFX ? Are you using the regular harness or did you modify it to be able to charge through the power leads ?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #815
Tech Master

I soldered deans on my GFX with the sensing leads on the tabs as well. I'm charging with the high power connectors.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #816
Company Representative

When using the Equinox in link mode to get a balance charge I think your not getting the proper voltage reading on the GFX as there is increased IR going through the balancer. This is what I noticed when using the balancer in link mode.

Are you using the stock balance harness that came with the Equinox or did you modify it like the hi power harness to be able to charge at 6 amps ?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #817
Tech Master

Sorry edited post above. I'm using the high power connectors.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #818
Company Representative

Then you should have your voltage sensing leads attached to the Deans connector that come off the harness and goes to the pack power leads. This will get rid of allot of voltage drop and should give a better balance charge.

My Equinox broke so I don't remember the exact difference in voltage but it was significant when I measured it.

You can test this to see what I'm saying. Start a charge using the Equinox in link mode with the voltage sensing leads attached where you have them now which is a good place when not using the balancer. Look at the voltage of the pack on the GFX. Stop the charge and unplug the pack and start a regular charger with your GFX and you should see the voltage is now lower by using the GFX. This means that when using the balancer in link mode if the voltage sesning leads aren't close to the packs power leads the pack will not get a full charge in Constant current mode. Like I said this is something I noticed and wasn't able to fully test as my Equinox broke.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #819
Tech Master

Thanks Danny,
I did notice in CC mode when charging with the balancer there was a signifigant voltage difference then a straight charge by just looking at the seconds it took to drop. Thanks and I'll give it a try.
Peace,
Casey
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #820
Company Representative

I would attach the voltage sensing lead to the connector on the power adapter harness when using the balancer in link mode. You should balance charge the pack and I have found that once the pack is blance charged it stays balance for many cycles so you can use the GFX alone most of the time.

I don't reccomend using the balancer to do a discharge balance as this actually unblancing the cells.

You also need to make sure that your connectors are tight. I have seen the male connectors springs get kind of flat and make for a loose connection which will give you higher IR and lower voltage readings.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #821
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Are there any other electric do dads to put in the car for a Lipo cut off besides Novaks?
Cameron Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #822
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to keepitmovin504

apogee has a cutoff called the LOA (Loud Obnoxious Alarm) and it auto detects how many cells are in your pack

link: http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...d=203&catid=48
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #823
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
I would attach the voltage sensing lead to the connector on the power adapter harness when using the balancer in link mode. You should balance charge the pack and I have found that once the pack is blance charged it stays balance for many cycles so you can use the GFX alone most of the time.

I don't reccomend using the balancer to do a discharge balance as this actually unblancing the cells.

You also need to make sure that your connectors are tight. I have seen the male connectors springs get kind of flat and make for a loose connection which will give you higher IR and lower voltage readings.
So you are saying that you always hook the T35 voltage sensing leads to the plug that plugs directly into the battery?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #824
Company Representative

I attach them like the picture. You can solder them to the connector which will be safer but if you plan on using a balancer with the GFX you need to attach the voltage sensing leads to the wires that go into the power wires of the pack. If you hook them up where the GFX goes into the balancer then you will not get the proper voltage sensing and the pack will switch over to CV allot earlier and may not charge as good.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2-voltagelead-hookup.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #825
Tech Master

Well that solved the problem. What I did was attach a deans plug to the sensing wires and one to the balancer right before the battery plug. I also put a plug on to the end of my gfx leads. This way I can easily switch where I put the sensing leads without using aligator clips.

Casey