R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #691
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's a decent list of adapters here: http://www.rclipos.com/Accessories.htm.

I'm going to pick up the Align -> Hyperion 2S adapter, since my LBA6 is currently wired for Hyperion plugs. That should convert the Align (XH) plug on the SMC pack to Hyperion style, which is a lot more common on balancers.

Between this and this, any of the balancers based on Hyperion's LBA6 should work with SMC's packs. A lot of companies OEM the LBA6 (Orion, TrakPower, etc.) so it's a very common balancer. Unfortunately, adapters for it are becoming MUCH harder to find. The LBA10, on the other hand, has all kinds of awesome adapter plates that make it easy to use with nearly every balancing tap out there. Here's a list:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3159

Unfortunately, SMC isn't listed, but I believe it would fall under the HP-LB10-XH category.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #692
Tech Lord

I believe the Hyperion LBA10 Balancer or Hyperion EOS0606I Balancing Charger (6A Max?) combined with the Hyperion "XH" Multi-Adapter is what you need to balance your SMC packs. If you have an existing balancer based on the Hyperion LBA6, you should be able to piece together an adapter from the links in my previous post.

Some discussion about the various LBA6 OEM pieces can be found here. If it looks like that balancer, it probably IS that balancer.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #693
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

I just picked up a Common Sense Balance Pro after I saw my Dad's in action. Digital voltage readout of each cell, works on up to six cells. Goes straight on to the SMC balance tap without any adapters, etc.

A little more expensive than the Blinky, etc. at about $40 but I'm very happy with it.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #694
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I just picked up a Common Sense Balance Pro after I saw my Dad's in action. Digital voltage readout of each cell, works on up to six cells. Goes straight on to the SMC balance tap without any adapters, etc.

A little more expensive than the Blinky, etc. at about $40 but I'm very happy with it.

Scottrik
Yeah, it seems like CSRC uses the same adapters. I couldn't figure out if they reversed the polarity between their v1 and v2 packs though? Glad to hear that balancer works. It sounds like it works in active or passive mode. My understanding is that passive mode is crap. It should always be used to charge the cells evenly, not discharge them to the same voltage.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #695
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the ElectriFly Equinox balancer by Great Planes. It's got the right connector so it's ready to use out of the box.

I only use it in Quick Balance mode which means I plug it and then press the button which will bring both cells down to the same voltage. This can be done when the pack is charged or when it's discharged. By doing thid both cells willbe very close and stay close if you keep repeating it.

I don't use it Interface mode which means it can be used to charge. You can only charge at 3 amps through the balance connectors and the balancer creates extra resistance which will not give the proper voltage reading to the charger unless you have external voltage sensing leads like the GFX. I don't think balance charging is needed if your pack is balanced the way I describe above.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #696
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
I use the ElectriFly Equinox balancer by Great Planes. It's got the right connector so it's ready to use out of the box.

I only use it in Quick Balance mode which means I plug it and then press the button which will bring both cells down to the same voltage. This can be done when the pack is charged or when it's discharged. By doing thid both cells willbe very close and stay close if you keep repeating it.

I don't use it Interface mode which means it can be used to charge. You can only charge at 3 amps through the balance connectors and the balancer creates extra resistance which will not give the proper voltage reading to the charger unless you have external voltage sensing leads like the GFX. I don't think balance charging is needed if your pack is balanced the way I describe above.
Danny,

That balancer is the same as the LBA6. If you want to use higher charge rates, you can use this adapter. Unfortunately, that's got a Hyperion tap on the end, so you'd need to combine it with an adapter. This charges the batteries through the main leads, but balances them through the smaller leads. This is the route I'm going, since I've got the Orion SBS, which is another LBA6 clone.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #697
Company Representative

Thanks for the info. When your pack is charged and you measure the voltage is it at 8.40 volts.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #698
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With all of the balance chargers that are starting to show up at a very reasonable price. I would just get one of those to balance my packs when they need it. Plus it's a second charger to use.

FMA has a balance charger for like $70 that will charge up to 10 amps.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #699
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Could you use this balancer with out any adapters? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRWF6&P=ML
Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #700
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by burris7555 View Post
Could you use this balancer with out any adapters? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRWF6&P=ML
That appears to be wired for the ThunderPower packs, which seem to use the "TP" style tap. So, you'd probably need an adapter.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #701
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

I just ordered the charger and adaptor that syndrome recommend from Allerc. A guy I work with had recommended them.

Just an FYI... you get 5 bucks off when you start a new account, and free standard shipping for orders over $100.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #702
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell View Post
I just ordered the charger and adaptor that syndrome recommend from Allerc. A guy I work with had recommended them.

Just an FYI... you get 5 bucks off when you start a new account, and free standard shipping for orders over $100.
Let me know how it works out for you, I'm thinking about picking one up myself. I'm fairly certain I was right about that being the adapter board you need. I ordered an adapter based on the same info, so we'll see! :-D
Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #703
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

It looked right. The part number of the adaptor I ordered works on the align tap.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #704
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by burris7555 View Post

A friend of mine uses the FP balancer you just need to get an adapter to change the balance connector from the FP/Thunder Power style to JST-XH style. The adpater would need to be a male style FP/TP to a male JST-XH.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #705
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
A friend of mine uses the FP balancer you just need to get an adapter to change the balance connector from the FP/Thunder Power style to JST-XH style. The adpater would need to be a male style FP/TP to a male JST-XH.
Hi Danny,
Please check E-mail !

Thanks!
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote