R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Please look at the 2 attached pictures of our C Lipo cells. As you will see the tabs that connect the cells are relatively large and when you solder the 12 Gage wire there is no way to bend the wires to make them come out on top.
Any reason you couldn't re-solder these so the wires go up and not out the side? Is there any different safety issue with lipo soldering vs regular cells that we have had to solder X amount of years?

I really want to use the packs but I really really don't want this out the side like that.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #482
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually that would put one of the wires near the center of the pack which would create issues with some of the cars using battery straps. When designing a product it's hard to make it work perfectly for every application. There has to be a compromise and this was one of them.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #483
Tech Master

Quote:
Actually that would put one of the wires near the center of the pack which would create issues with some of the cars using battery straps. When designing a product it's hard to make it work perfectly for every application. There has to be a compromise and this was one of them.
I understand.

So... is there anything different in soldering lipo vs regular cells? I assume not (but asking just in case.) The pic's I am looking at this would be easy for me to get the wires where I want them just by re-soldering.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #484
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Any reason you couldn't re-solder these so the wires go up and not out the side? Is there any different safety issue with lipo soldering vs regular cells that we have had to solder X amount of years?

I really want to use the packs but I really really don't want this out the side like that.
Our case is glued and will not come apart easily and will most likely get damaged. Resoldering/changing the wires will void the warranty.

I've been racing RC cars for a long time and I really don't see the issue with having to fit our packs or use the wires as they come. Our packs are designed to be the highest performance Lipos for RC racing. They are for the racer/customer who is looking for the best performing Lipos and aren't made to look pretty. Yes we could of made a hardcase with rounded edges and have a circuit board for bullet style connectors but we decided to focus on performance instead of looks as performance is more important in racing.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #485
Tech Master

Quote:
Our case is glued and will not come apart easily and will most likely get damaged. Resoldering/changing the wires will void the warranty.
Once again I understand and just like anything you take apart yourself = voided warranty!

The issue I have with the wires is this puts them outside of the chassis on a touring car and a good hit on the side where the wires are could = bad things. But re-soldering could = bad things as well.

I have 2 4000's in route as we speak. I have changed from "pretty" orion 4800's to these based on performance, but unfortunately I will sacrifices some convinance... I was just was checking my options.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #486
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Both. Temp of pack at the start and end of each cycle. That tells us if the pack was started at an unusually high temp to try to fudge the #'s, and if the pack got "too" hot at the end. (That is purely subjective of course, but it's common information with this type of testing. Not everyone would give it a pass if it's hitting 180* for example....)

Our supplier has informed me that all tests are done at room temperature which is 22 degrees celsius and that the temp was around 60 celsius after a 30C discharge.

I know that the guy testing our helicopter packs told me he never had packs stay this cool and give as much power. Thats testing our new 2200/11.1/25C packs.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #487
Super Moderator

Quote:
We will release a heating bag for our Lipos but it will take a bit of time for us to release it.

You should try a heating pad. You should charge your pack then place it in a heating pad a place it in your car as soon as your ready to race it so you can use the pack when it's warm.
Sounds like an excellent idea, any chance that heating bag could also be considered a proper LiPo sack, like what ROAR is calling for? I know I need a LiPo sack, & if it also incorporated a warmer, all the better.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #488
Company Representative

Yes that is the plan and that is why it will take a bit of time as we want to make sure it's done right. Hopefully we can make this happen.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #489
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
I know I need a LiPo sack, & if it also incorporated a warmer, all the better.....
Great idea!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #490
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2

Quote:
Yes that is the plan and that is why it will take a bit of time as we want to make sure it's done right. Hopefully we can make this happen.

Hi Danny, Do you have lipo that will fit S400 serpent?
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #491
Company Representative

I'm not very familiar with this car but I would think that if you look at the dimensions posted on the first page you can see if the 4000 or 5000 fits. I would think that the 4000 would fit under the topdeck as it's only 20mm in height. The 5000 will most likely fir if you rest it against the topdeck and have it hanging out of the side of the chassis which is what I have seen some do with other cars.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #492
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with this car but I would think that if you look at the dimensions posted on the first page you can see if the 4000 or 5000 fits. I would think that the 4000 would fit under the topdeck as it's only 20mm in height. The 5000 will most likely fir if you rest it against the topdeck and have it hanging out of the side of the chassis which is what I have seen some do with other cars.

I wanted to distribute your product in my country can you email me([email protected])
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #493
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Couldn't they just hold the wires vertically instead of horizontally when they solder them, then cut a gap in the tape?
Looks like you could, either that or just a simple T bar solder tab...would be easy to fab one. Its gotta be better then that side exit...sorry but I wont try one until that issue is resolved...fit is rule 1 in my book.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #494
Tech Rookie

first, i would like to thank SMC for being open with us about a very important product for our hobby. the testing they are doing gives a better understanding of the LiPo battery as it pertains to the way use them.

for those racers that just want to know how LiPo's fair at a local track here goes. we have been racing them at our track for 2 years now, no explosions, no fires, no real problems. the LiPo's have shown on our short paper clip oval carpet track, to give approx .5 to 1.5 faster lap times over most over the counter high quality NiMh. now i am not including any top 5 percent stats here just regular over the counter products. our racers pretty much follow the standard rules concerning charging and storage. the LiPo's at our track are normally run 2-3 times per race day, charged at the parameters set in the chargers, no discharging before charge, stored in a charged state, and no microwaves in the pits to warm them up. we have LiPo's that are a full 2 years old and perform as well as when new. most of our racers are budget racers and the LiPo battery has made racing closer and more affordable than ever.

i do believe CE products to be superior but, at our budget track the DYNAMITE, ICE and it's CHECKPOINT big brother are dominate with a couple of orion ADVANTAGES sprinkled in. there are many other fine chargers but, we have found the early MRC "LiPo ready" chargers are NOT SO READY and should be avoided. these chargers charge but, life and performance of the LiPo seems to be compromised.

we will soon have the SMC's and i will try too let you know how they perform here. thanks for listening to my .02 .

Last edited by RCWIZARD13; 04-04-2008 at 04:41 PM.
RCWIZARD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #495
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntok2 View Post
Hi Danny, Do you have lipo that will fit S400 serpent?
The SMC 4000 pack will fit with out any modifications to the pack or the car. The 5000 is a little too tall.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote