R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 4000 is 2 cells in series which is reffered to as 2S1P. The 5000 is 4 cells which are hooked up in parallel and series which is reffered as 2S2P.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Danny,

Have you cycled packs from any other manufacturers yet? Be cool to compare numbers from Orion, Checkpoint, Core, etc...
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #18
Company Representative

Yes I have cycled some from various companies and our 5000 pack versus other companies 5000 pack is higher in average voltage and lower in IR.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Yes I have cycled some from various companies and our 5000 pack versus other companies 5000 pack is higher in average voltage and lower in IR.
That is a pretty hefty statement. You then must be using a cell that nobody else is. Too bad you won't tell us what that is, cause I would start looking for helicopter packs by them. But I guess I will just have to stick with the flight power cells, which I believe are Enerland. However I would be interested in seeing the difference between the orion 3200, 3600 and the new checkpoint cell vs yours. Some true comparisons where the only variable is the battery. But anyways, good luck and I wish you well with the approvals.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Apathygasm.

Don't whine, your threads always get more attention when I'm in them. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #21
Company Representative

You can easily buy a Lipo GFX and do your own testing. I don't feel it's fair for me to start posting other companies cycling numbers. Racers can come up with there own conclusions and tests. Our competitors can also invest in Lipo GFXs and give the pack specs of there packs. Were very confident that our packs are some of the best if not the best.

As far as to who makes them we have been through this before. The manufacturer we use specially makes high C rate cells for SMC exclusively. Even if we were to give the company name it's not a known company and they don't have a website. I know some will think this makes no sense but it's the truth.

As far as Helicopters go here is a some info I got from a 3D Helicopter flyer who has been testing our 2200/11.1/25C pack which will be out at the same time as our car packs and uses the same technology.

Hey Danny,
Its Rick from RC Madness, the one you asked to test new batteries for you. Sorry I haven't replied about the batteries thus far as my time to fly was limited due to work and the weather. Since the last time we spoke, I've logged over fifty flights with these batteries and the just keep getting better. I made my comparison to the Thunder Power Extreme batteries and the ones you let me try out perform them tremendously. Unlike the TP packs, your packs deliver more power, more consistently, and last longer not only in flight time but in over all life span. My TP packs are not doing anywhere as good as your packs and I got them around the same time. I am totally impressed with these batteries, and would like to buy some from you if you still have the means of getting them (I've been spoiled, these are all I want to fly with now). Please write back or give me a call anytime
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Danny,

Just got my Lipo upgrade back from Compettiion Electronics and can't wait to get some of your packs and do some comparisons.

Anything special I should be doing when I use it to cycle them? My thought was to discharge them to 3.0 per cell and then go right into the cycle mode. Set-up per your other post. Any inside thoughts or things I should be careful of?

Thanks,
Mark
Stetler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Danny, when you cycle a LiPo pack, do you do anything to "prepare the pack" to get the correct numbers out of it? (I.E., we don't take NiMh packs that are half-charged and put them on cycle- we'll take them down before to get "real" numbers out of them).
www.muddslidemotorsports.com
BSR Tires
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Think Mark and I are on the same page!
BSR Tires
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #25
Company Representative

The Lipo GFX shuts off at 3 volts per cell and that is not adjustable.

If you want to duplicate our tests we use a 5 amp charge with a 35 amp discharge and hook up the voltage sensing lead on the Deans connector attached to the GFX wires. I will post a picture of this shortly.

The packs come in from our supplier and we will cycle them as they come. Our goal is not to get the best numbers but to get consistent numbers and make sure we have good quality control.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
Company Representative

Here is how we attach the voltage sensing leads so basically the numbers that we get when cycling our Lipos has all the voltage drop of the connectors and wire length.

The IR will drop 1 milliohm and the voltage will increase by .03 if you put your voltage sensing leads on the Lipo wires.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2-voltagelead-hookup.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddFalkowski View Post
Danny, when you cycle a LiPo pack, do you do anything to "prepare the pack" to get the correct numbers out of it? (I.E., we don't take NiMh packs that are half-charged and put them on cycle- we'll take them down before to get "real" numbers out of them).
Our packs normally will cycle out a bit better on the second cycle with the pack fully discharged.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Thanks for the input, Danny!
BSR Tires
Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So you are making heli packs too, if they stand up to the evo 25's I will probably buy a couple so long as the pricing doesn't break the bank. Okay, you don't want to post comparisons between your packs and others, I understand and at the same time don't understand. You don't want other manufactures getting mad at you <- this I understand, no need to burn bridges if you ever have to get different cells, but not providing data on other packs just makes your statement speculation, whether true or not, there is no available fact. However, to say they are great and then it comes out that they are not wouldn't be good for you, so I assume that they are at least good. I just hope they are better than the nimhs you have, not that they are not good, but a movie comes to mind; I am Legend, it was a good flick, but after all the hype I was wanting more. I will end with this; indoor season is about over for me so there is no need for me to buy anymore batteries for that, however off-road season starts in a few months and I need packs for my b4 and b44. A hard case lipo saddle pack that is awesome and comes out before any other hard case lipo saddle pack would give you an edge, I think.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to nhra6849

Danny, are you guy's going to come out with a hard case lipo saddle pack for some of the offroad guy's? Just bought a B44 and wanting a hard case lipo!
nhra6849 is offline   Reply With Quote