R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default thoughts

If you work in a hobby shop and don't like the customers, I have a suggestion: QUIT.

RTR has saved r/c from fading away. How many kids and adults get into r/c through a rtr car/truck? Traxxas now controls over 50% of the r/c surface market (exluding planes, heli's, etc.) and most of their cars are RTR. There is nothing wrong with wanting to play with your toys and not wanting to work on them.

Just because you want to spend hour after hour working on and perfecting r/c cars, doesn't mean someone else should. And frankly, what an adult does with their money is none of your business. Nobody should run a charity, and if you want to charge $30 or $40 an hour for working on customer's cars, look at it as a supplement to your pay. If you work at a hobbyshop, you are an employee. Why do you take money from the owner for being there? Why not help out and work for free. Don't try to teach others how to live, especially if the customer is an adult.

As an example, I don't work on my real cars, and I can tell you that repairing a real car costs much, much more than an r/c car. I suppose I should show pride and change my own oil and brakes. While I'm at it, maybe I should catch my own food, I hate paying the supermarket for meat.

One last thing, if a hobby shop let's employees fix customer's cars for a fee, that fee should be the same across the board. The employees should agree on an amount and stick to it. I also assume that all of the cars get fixed on your break and that you would never work on a customer's car for pay, while you are on the hobbyshop's clock? RIGHT???
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

I really think using a term like "lazy" is a modern catch all phrase that is soo diluted in personal opinion to be a worthless judgmental point.

(Home) Video Games have been with us since the Early 80's. Blaming them as the sole cause is not the issue.

(Personally I just think Parents don't buy enough Lego's these days )

(Another political turn)

To me its the bull in the china shop everyone wants to ignore. Cheap labor over seas. Since many products are soo cheap and easy to replace these days. The pride and hardship (through money), that people had when purchasing a product are gone. When it takes more time and effort to get something to work versus throwing away the current and purchasing a new one.. why bother?

This practice is not sustainable economically or environmentally on a planet with limited resources. We are already starting to see the effects.

Quote:
RTR has saved the market in many ways, it has also brought in it's share of problems. The same people that would never buy a R/C kit before are the ones that probably shouldn't buy a RTR now ... but they are pumping much needed cash into the industry and parts sales are huge.
Yes, and I believe thats one of the issues that in the short term is good for business. In the long term however which many companies are not willing to look at, bad. The return sales from these disillusioned people go missing. So though that initial investment was there, there is no continuing cash flow. Where do shops and Manufacturers make most of their money? Parts.

Ontop of that, with the much lasting forms of communication, with a much larger audience we have through the internet. These peoples complaints however soiled will effect potential future buyers to stay away from our hobby because of the "headache" involved. Even those some of these potential customers could end up appreciating it.

As far as shops charging. If a customer comes in with a mail order.. charge them for everything!. If they bought it from them, they will >HELP< the customer repair the part in store. To A: Help build the customers confidence. B: Establish a repertoire between the customer and the business (loyalty in other words).
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I know that RTR's have helped sales tremendously in the past years, as with over the past 10 years, the influx has increased ten fold. But all I am trying to say is that a part that takes 4 screws to change, someone was willing to pay $30 plus parts to have it changed. I know it is good for business as I stated in my earlier post, but that doesn't mean I think it is right.

Working on your own real car is a little different I think. I don't consider my real car as a hobby or sport, and if I did, I would be more than happy to work on it. It was just kind of a shock to hear that from the owner that he has a lot of cars with simple things wrong with them just sitting in the back waiting to be fixed.

I guess most of us on here are part of a dying breed.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am 16 and my first car was a tl01 I got it in 4th grade that has now expanded into the biggest hobby ever, pretty much all my cars were kits only rtr if it was cheaper and the only way to get it was rtr. I now race 12th scale, stock sedan and modified buggy. I will tell you that I am crazy about keeping my cars neat and running great. I agree I have seen many people bringing their cars into hobbytown broken when its just something stupid like a stripped spur gear on their mini t, how much easier could it be to fix?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
If someone wants to pay me $45 an hour to fix their car (2 hour minimum) send me a PM. Nevermind these jokers. Im here to help!
I'll remember that for this summer.......
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
I'll remember that for this summer.......
You race that RDX out there and you will need me Let's put some of those extra hard (extra brittle) arms on there for you.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

I love this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
I got into this hobby while in college because I wanted to know how these little suckers worked, now I'm completely addicted.
I bought one after seeing that it had very close to the same suspension setup as a real car, with adjustable mounting points for upper control arm, Ackerman adjustments, ect...

I went to the store to buy the kit version but they only had the RTR, and they said it would be more expensive to do the kit (I'm glad I listen to salesman ). I wanted the kit because I'm past the age of buying legos for my self, and not old enough to be buying them for a son.

I was at Pegasus and the kid being helped before us was there with his mom. He broke the right rear lower control arm, and was asking about getting it fix...
He was looking at it like they were asking him to defuse a bomb.
The Clerk suggests he could probably just fix it himself, just remove the pin...and couple linkages...
The kids mom even takes one good look at it and and says its not to big a deal but the kid still just looks like its the worst thing ever.

My room mate has the same car as me, and he talk about how he wants to sell it because he didn't know how much of a hassle it was gonna be.
He has only had to take the rear diff out twice! Its literally 9 screws, and 2 e clips.

The whole car fits on block in front of you, you don't need any extension, no torquing bolts, nothing you have to contort or brace with any more effort then a pinky! WHat could be easier?
Red coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to kwik-kid

i thought i should have my say as i am only 15

firstly RTR's exist primerily for beginers, i have one but it is my first nitro car so i like to know the maintenance before i spalsh out on a kit etc and end up ruining it because of carelesnes

secondly i think alot of enthusiasam has gone out of building things and taking things apart primarily due to the fact that theres now more powerfull PC's and Xboxes and ps3's around

i personaly constantly take my cars aprt and xplor and i love it lol

one last thing, about paying for a fix, i think shops should fix the customers cars for free because for the shop to make money, they need people in the hobby and making them pay is just repeling them away
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Tech Champion

i'll skim a newbies motor that asks me, or fix their car at a meeting as a one off, then if they look the type that are paying attention to what im doing and they need help later on, i'll help them as it shows they want to learn.

But if they are the kind who are like "dude, just fix it yeah" then i'd be more reluctant to fix it second time round.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seriously, everyone that has a RCtech account is a rcjunky anyway so you guys have to remember that some like r/c but just not as much as we do and is not willing to wrench on these toys for hours at a time and when you really are just into it casually something that might be fun for us is boring to these people.....

It's the same thing with my friends who are gamers. They play for hours at a time getting bonus points or unlocking things and they have a blast doing tedious things in the game... I don't have patience to do all that just because my interest in gaming is very light or its just something for me to do to occupy some time but I have two game consoles.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
i'll skim a newbies motor that asks me, or fix their car at a meeting as a one off, then if they look the type that are paying attention to what im doing and they need help later on, i'll help them as it shows they want to learn.

But if they are the kind who are like "dude, just fix it yeah" then i'd be more reluctant to fix it second time round.

If they are racing then they should learn how to wrench or maybe have thier dads work on thier cars.

Newbies willing to pay for repairs at a hobby shop is another story...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
If they are racing then they should learn how to wrench or maybe have thier dads work on thier cars.

Newbies willing to pay for repairs at a hobby shop is another story...
Thats my point really, sometimes they are a bit wrapped up in even trying to fix it the first time, not got a lathe etc or not really sure, so I will help and show them its not that difficult at all.

Second time maybe just watch over what they are doing to give them some reassurance, and they feel good they done the wrenching.

As for the hobby shop repairs, totally agree. Different story.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Hey...if they're willing to pay someone to work on it, god bless 'em.

You don't see Kimi Raikonnen or Jimmy Johnson bending wrenches do you? If I could get someone reliable to set my cars up the way I want it done I'd probably be willing to pay. As it is, I'm stuck doing it myself. I can't drive worth crap but my cars are set up correctly.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

No, but you do see Grunholm and Loeb banging on there cars...and they are much more manly
Red coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red coupe View Post
No, but you do see Grunholm and Loeb banging on there cars...and they are much more manly
Not between events you don't. They just happen to be in about the only form of motorsport where they take a tea break every so often so the drivers can get out and stretch their legs. And help pound broken cars back together.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote