R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
If your car is running slower then the other cars then it is not the car, but the batteries & motor. Since you are running a stock motor just like everyone else that most likely isn't the problem either. So, your problem most likely lies w/ the batteries. Some batteries will deliver more power then others. I would wait to purchase a new car or any upgrades for that matter & get yourself a good lipo & charger. This will be an investment that will make your car much faster & it will be one that you can cary on to your next car. If there is still more speed to be desired I would purchase a larger pinion gear. You should be able to easily find a lipo & charger in this price range. These packs are popular in the u.s.
http://maxamps.com/products.php?cat=25
you will want the 7.4 volt one.
You will also want to purchase a low voltage device of some sort.
this would make a good charger.
http://www.maxamps.com/Skyway-A2078-Charger.htm
Then you should be able to find a power suply for a fair price.
w/ the tl-01 you will probly have to do a little chasis hacking to make the pack fit since the tl-01 isn't made for a standard stick pack. A good cheap car would be a hotbodies cyclone s, they sale for about $140usd. Since your budget is really only enough for the batteries, charger, & power suply I would just save your left over money & then you can put it towards a new chasis. A new chasis will not improve the speed of your car though. It will improve the cars handling once you get a fast motor/battery combo.

The reason his car is slower is only partly (and a small part at that) because of the battery. The main reason will be that he's using a silver can motor whilst everybody else will be using a tuned 27turn motor. There is a big difference between the two. Also, the other cars are likely to be geared far better.

A decent 27 turn motor would be a far better investment than a new battery and charger.

In all honesty: as a begginer, you're going to get beat no matter what car you drive. The other drivers would still win even if you stuck the fastest motor in the best car and they were racing your car.. What's most important is that you get used to when to turn/brake/accelerate etc... Because of this, he's better of just learning the basics with what he has now. Then; in a couple of months time, he can progress to a racing chassis with better electronics.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
The reason his car is slower is only partly (and a small part at that) because of the battery. The main reason will be that he's using a silver can motor whilst everybody else will be using a tuned 27turn motor. There is a big difference between the two. Also, the other cars are likely to be geared far better.

A decent 27 turn motor would be a far better investment than a new battery and charger.

In all honesty: as a begginer, you're going to get beat no matter what car you drive. The other drivers would still win even if you stuck the fastest motor in the best car and they were racing your car.. What's most important is that you get used to when to turn/brake/accelerate etc... Because of this, he's better of just learning the basics with what he has now. Then; in a couple of months time, he can progress to a racing chassis with better electronics.
Totally agree. I would add, the first thing he should buy are the right tyres for the track, as they will be a massive improvement over TL01 tyres...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

A good lipo is an investment that will last you a year & allow you to gain speed. Another thing is that the silver can has good basher traits. You will be able to run it for long periods of time w/out worrying about over heating it. A 4kmah lipo should also give him 20+ & possibly 30+ minutes of run time w/ a silver can motor so there will be much more track time. When the silver can motor gets worn out you can spend another $15 usd & pick up another one.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just buy upgraded elect and motors. Prefferably at your local track where someone is always willing to give an extra discount over some stranger in a trading forum...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

dont think we are aload to use lipo's as everyone uses normal cells nd peak chargers i oready have the right tyres
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

here is what i need
Stock Class:- BRCA legal 27 turn stock motors & tin cans.
6 cell battery packs only (No Lithium Packs)
Nosram/LRP 24R or 27R tyres only
Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
Tech Master

What speedo are you using? If a mechanical one, maybe you should invest first in a proper speedo, as you will need one anyway if you're to buy a 27T.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

i think it would just be cheaper to buy the schumaca because it saves me having to buy new electronics i wont have to buy a peak charger which would of cast an extra 40 it oready has a modded motor for when i want to race modified so in all it is saving me money and also i have 2 controllers at the min so will be able to sell 1 for 40 and i also have a coupon that gives me 20 off anything over 100 on ebay so that will take more money off
Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
Tech Champion

If you are desperate for a speed control let me know, I have a novak racer that I could sell you cheap, I think its even got reverse too.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Another cheap chasis you can look into is the xxx-s. I have seen them practicly being given away.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

at my local track the Type R is a very popular chassi and you can get every part you could ever want. I dont think that lsoi stoped sponseeing onroad becasue Mike Dumas, Todd Hodge and others are all sponspered by Losi to run the type R.

This is just turning into a " I think my car is better than yours" argument.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingboy14 View Post
at my local track the Type R is a very popular chassi and you can get every part you could ever want. I dont think that lsoi stoped sponseeing onroad becasue Mike Dumas, Todd Hodge and others are all sponspered by Losi to run the type R.

This is just turning into a " I think my car is better than yours" argument.
Uummm, Mike Dumas is no longer sponsored by Losi, he drives for Corally now. I know this about Dumas because he races at our local track, not sure about Todd. I was told Losi dropped their onroad racing program since sales are too poor to support sponsoring drivers.

The above aside, the Type-R is a capable car.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Thumbs up

The Type R is capable car and at the SNOWBIRDS NATIONALS Jason Schreffler, Larry Fairtrace, and Mile Haynes showed it. I don't know the status of the on-road team for Losi but if they did drop their team the Nationals showed they need to get it back. Hell Scheffler put a little whooping on the the T2 008 and that's suppose to be XRAY'S new flagship. Not trying to clown on XRAY cause I thought about getting the car also but I wanted something that does not look like everyone else's. The Type R like any car is a good car when setup right just depends how much work you want to put into it to get there.
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

which is best for the money out of losi xxx-s or tc3 or tc4
Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

which is best for the money out of losi xxx-s or tc3 or tc4