R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggity View Post

Thanks for the idea.. Although I dont think having the weight out to the side is the best scenario. I think in the center of the car or in front or back of the pack would be better. Mike Stewart told me that the best material for adding weight would be tungsten weights. I am working with Verndog and also checking into other ideas for the weight solution!

Damon
ouch.tungsten is some heavy stuff bro.i have a 6 inch square block that weighs about 30lbs. That is some dense shiznit. those will be some tiny weights. To be honest,brass would be good and not as expensive.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
ouch.tungsten is some heavy stuff bro.i have a 6 inch square block that weighs about 30lbs. That is some dense shiznit. those will be some tiny weights. To be honest,brass would be good and not as expensive.
Hey Jason, LOL... Yeah, I was turned on to the little pine derby car weights by Mike Stewart.. They are thin, small and heavy, tiny is what Im looking for! I will take a look at brass as well!

BTW: Love the new 1/10th ride, looks really good!!

Damon
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks dude.

Something that may work well for you is to make a tray that can slide inward and outward to use the leverage to minimize weight that needs to be added. The further out you place the pack the less weight you need to add.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #34
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggity View Post

Lower is better I would assume just for the "bling" factor and that the jig itself weighs a bit so you dont have to use as many lead pieces? Im sure Verndog can answer this better..

Damon
I went thru several designs before deciding on the 2 piece. After considering mounting to the existing battery strap holes I elected to avoid that due to impact and stress induced to the chassis and the potential for tweak and cracked chassis.

As pointed out...battery adjustment to the far outside requires less weight to balance, so I left the plate flat to accomidate best placement for a variety of chassis and cells, but the TC5 first and foremost.

Next I got all the weight under the battery the chassis clearance would allow
for lowest COG. Finally, made up the difference required with weight to the extent of the chassis edge, without exceeding it, while offering hidden adjustability for a variety of setups, plus LiPo pack protection with a hint of bling. End result, lower COG then NiMh, easy to install with a variety of packs, quick change of packs using existing stock battery strap or tape if one prefers, stainless steel construction that will outlast all your batteries and the chassis... ect.

Twistdone's design is sound in COG placement, serves his needs well, and was inexpensive to make. I from a functional design standpoint, would not put any unnecessary stress into the chassis if it can be avoided (side collision), and I felt it could by locking everything to the 6 chassis slots.

PS
Also....keep in mind, I did all this because there were no options to me to convert to LiPo, and I'm an anal freak when it comes to fit, form and function....and its prob. not for everyone.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to twistedone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
I went thru several designs before deciding on the 2 piece. After considering mounting to the existing battery strap holes I elected to avoid that due to impact and stress induced to the chassis and the potential for tweak and cracked chassis.

As pointed out...battery adjustment to the far outside requires less weight to balance, so I left the plate flat to accomidate best placement for a variety of chassis and cells, but the TC5 first and foremost.

Next I got all the weight under the battery the chassis clearance would allow
for lowest COG. Finally, made up the difference required with weight to the extent of the chassis edge, without exceeding it, while offering hidden adjustability for a variety of setups, plus LiPo pack protection with a hint of bling. End result, lower COG then NiMh, easy to install with a variety of packs, quick change of packs using existing stock battery strap or tape if one prefers, stainless steel construction that will outlast all your batteries and the chassis... ect.

Twistdone's design is sound in COG placement, serves his needs well, and was inexpensive to make. I from a functional design standpoint, would not put any unnecessary stress into the chassis if it can be avoided (side collision), and I felt it could by locking everything to the 6 chassis slots.

PS
Also....keep in mind, I did all this because there were no options to me to convert to LiPo, and I'm an anal freak when it comes to fit, form and function....and its prob. not for everyone.

my design was not my own me and friend tweaked one we seen on here way back when ...
i am still trying to get it right but you guys are showing the way
when my carbon master gets back from winter nats it will be cut out and adjustable from side to side front to back I HOPE

but thanks for the great stuff
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

received my caster blocks and li-po holders today Caster blocks look real nice as do the li-po holders and got in 3 days. nice job Diggity designs
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #37
Tech Master

We'll...I got mine today and after Friday nite racing came home and gave it a try with my EZ LiPo plates.

We can make this work!! They are going to work quite well together in fact. There is one minor adjustment we need to work out but I dont foresee a huge issue. This is a win win for TC5 owners, and I think it will work on other chassis as well (depending on mount holes).

Great job Diggity lets get er done!

Here are a couple of pics of the new Orion 3600 Race Spec unmounted then mounted.

Kevin Patterson
PPD

Last edited by Verndog; 02-16-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Awesome job guys. Looks really good.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Vern, how does the Orion 4800 fit? Also, can you get a shot from above? I just want to check out where the battery terminals are located. I usually have the terminals towards the front of the car.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
Vern, how does the Orion 4800 fit? Also, can you get a shot from above? I just want to check out where the battery terminals are located. I usually have the terminals towards the front of the car.

Thanks
Well...you put your finger right on the issue I'm trying to work with Diggity on. The inside terminal rubs the top deck so your pic you requested would show that. Easy fix by altering the profile a bit off center. I'm waiting for Damon to get back to me, but this should be easy to work out. I'm sure he'll pipe in when he gets a chance to stop in.

Orion 4800 should be no problem, I'm running 2 Trackpower 4900's that are very near the same shape.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'll definatly be looking out for what you guys come up with. The money is burning a hole in my pocket
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Well...you put your finger right on the issue I'm trying to work with Diggity on. The inside terminal rubs the top deck so your pic you requested would show that. Easy fix by altering the profile a bit off center. I'm waiting for Damon to get back to me, but this should be easy to work out. I'm sure he'll pipe in when he gets a chance to stop in.

Orion 4800 should be no problem, I'm running 2 Trackpower 4900's that are very near the same shape.

Kevin: Great pics, looks to be a winning combo!! I got your comments and sent you a PM. I am working on adding a mounting location to the brace for the odd packs so that their should be no problem with any of the terminals as you stated in your PM.. I will get pics up on Monday..
Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

gluing my set up now!!! Look forward to using this with my new PPD pieces...

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Got my PPD base plate today.. Im working on getting it setup with the new offset CF brace and I will be posting some pics in a little bit.. Thanks for the hookup Kevin, looks like this is a winning combo!

Damon
Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Here is the PPD base plate mounted with the new offset to the inside (to allow for plug wires to clear) Diggity brace. This new brace will be available on our website. You will need to use 2 - .030 shims to lift the brace so its flush with the PPD brace and then you got a secure mount for your LIPO and the base plate gives you that needed weight! If you need more weight just use the side weight plate!