Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum size for track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Minimum size for track?

We are looking for a place to hold races here in town. While we'd love to have a huge track like some of the ones we've seen, that's not going to happen. Ours will have to be smaller. What is the minimum length and lane width that we should go for? I realize ROAR has specs on tracks, but we aren't going to hold sanctioned races or anything like that. Right now, there are no on-road tracks within a few hours of us, so not a lot of racers yet. This will be just for club racing. We want to run primarily electric 1/10.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Well you may not be running sanctioned races but the specs ROAR uses are still good to go by. We run a 60' by 60' track where we keep a minimum of 8' track lane widths and a 10' preferred lane width. It's small but we have fun racing. The smallest we've run was 60' by 30'...it wasn't easy designing a track that small but it did work out. I wouldn't reccomend going with a track that small for normal racing. For us this is a special event track in conjunction with a local car show. Space is really limited there.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Well you may not be running sanctioned races but the specs ROAR uses are still good to go by. We run a 60' by 60' track where we keep a minimum of 8' track lane widths and a 10' preferred lane width. It's small but we have fun racing. The smallest we've run was 60' by 30'...it wasn't easy designing a track that small but it did work out. I wouldn't reccomend going with a track that small for normal racing. For us this is a special event track in conjunction with a local car show. Space is really limited there.
Strange that the guy in Hawaii ("space is really limited here", 190 ppl per square mile) thinks 60x60 is small. Where I live (pop density 4.5 ppl per square mile), we run a 36x60 track, and I think it is big enough for TC racing. Not ideal, but it works.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Strange that the guy in Hawaii ("space is really limited here", 190 ppl per square mile) thinks 60x60 is small. Where I live (pop density 4.5 ppl per square mile), we run a 36x60 track, and I think it is big enough for TC racing. Not ideal, but it works.
You wouldn't happen to have any photos of that track would you?

The parking lot I have is roughly that same size.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is a pic of the 60x40 track where I live in Colorado.
The track is in a building with 3 small rooms, The big main room and an upstairs loft.

I think there are a couple pictures with a 1/10 TC on the track so you can see car::track ratio

Pic of the Track

Pics of pits/the track
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by adamge
If everyone is close to the same skill level then a track that small with more narrow lanes can work. But when there is a wide range of skill levels on the track at once anything less then a 8' lane tends to end up with a great deal of carnage. Our 60' by 30' track worked out but it was really tight for anything more then 6 TCs.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That is a good point... 7 is the most we run, much more than that and lap traffic starts to cluster things up....
Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Nice track. I could see 60 x 40 working out, especially for a permanent indoor track. The way I figure it you need 4 lanes width to do any kind of infield S turn and still maintain a straight. At 40' width you can have 4 10' lanes or even go down to an 8' lane to open up a bit more design creativity. At 30' you end up with 4 7.5' lanes which is pretty close to ROAR's minimum at 8'. For a setup like that I would make the straight a bit wider to maybe 9' or 10' and have the infield at 7'. Drivers tend to wander a good deal more on the straights then they do on the corners so it helps to have the straight a bit wider.

I'm not saying 60' by 30' is too small. Personally I'd put that at the limit though. If you have more space though...use it.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.sarcarclub.com/Pictures.html
Pic 34 is a track we set up at a car show. I think it was about 36x55.

We are usually in the 6.8s range for a fast 19t lap, and 7.0 range for a fast 27t lap. Max we run is 5 per heat. Most often it is 3 and 4.