R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The problem is that the beginner classes in electric racing are not beginner budget minded classes. This is why nitro trumps electric racing. You can still get a budget nitro setup & turn very fast laps. I have seen people beat pros (that are C-A main regulars @ major events) w/ rtr nitros. However, I have never seen a budget electric setup keep up w/ a top end stock setup because of the speed and pull differance. I honestly believe that people should run handout silver cans & handout 3kmah nimh packs(you can find them for like $10 a pack if you look in the right places. $35 in handouts shouldn't be an issue when your trying to build a class either. If you find that 25 mph is too slow then it is time for you to move on to mod where your $1500 budget doesn't matter & once again the best driver/setup man wins again. If you are willing to invest $1500 into the hobby then odds are you are investing the time into the hobby to become a good mod driver.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #32
Tech Master

There is absolutely no problem going to an official race with a $450 budget. It's not that much of a hit on your wallet to determine if this hobby is for you or not. There is only two paths you can take from here:

1. You love it, and see potential that can make you better (as both driver and gear). You will naturally start spending more at this point.

2. You hate it. You cannot win and get frustrated. Blame everyone for having more experience (and better gear) than you. You quit.

Noobs that expect to win on their debut race with a cheapo setup is not fit for RC imo. Having fun and winning are two different approches to RC. If you are having fun, who cares if you come last with a $450 setup?

IMHO, I think RC is steering away from what it was: SCALE RACING. I'm glad ppl are starting up the TA class. Tamiya follows an excellent example of using scale bodies for their races. Competition is important, but let's all not forget what the roots of RC is...
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now that I know where your coming from- Look racing is racing.If you can race nitro that's great. You can't race nitro everywhere.Electric makes no noise. As for expense Several years ago a local hobby shop started racing those Kyosho Mini-Z's . The before you know it there is the hop ups and the cheap car was about $300.00.Locally when someone showed up with a RTR car he was laughed at by the other local racers. The only time I've seen a RTR blow away the competition was with the Nitro traxxs truck.All the other guys had all these hop-up the guy at the hobbyshop said they needed to win. I knew the guy with the stock truck- all he did was drive nobody else knew him.He had the 350.00 truck and the guys with 1500.00-2500.00 weren't even in the same league ( driver wise).
The same in electric a good friend of mine can take stuff I wouldn't run anymore and make it very competitive( On-road/Oval /offroad). He's been doing this for years.It's driving - if you can't drive it doesn't matter what you've got in equipment.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #34
Tech Master

I don't know about RTR nitros beating tuned ones... The nitro races that I know, RTR has no chance against the "tweaker" drivers that optimizes their engines. Again, these drivers use engines that cost more than their cars. So the cost level is not any different (if not worse) than electric.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This thread is what this hobby is all about. When I was younger (12-13 years old) I would walk into the local hobby shop and start asking for prices, in no time the price of a complete set up for a competition level RC (batts, charger, electronics, etc...) got up to $500-$600 we're talking 1980. I would quickly get turned off, it was simply out of my grasp. I did realize that these RC's were for racing not bashing, that's the BIG difference. If I wanted to bash I could spend $200 (RC10) and have a really cool basher. Actually ended up buying a Tamiya 959, it was a rally car and I loved it! Now at the age of 29 I can finally afford to race my T2, and understand it is expensive.

Bottom line, racing in any form is expensive. A noob must realize this before getting in. Bashing not too expensive, racing REALLY EXPENSIVE!!
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #36
Tech Elite

As long as you are not on a track w/ lots of huge straights a cheap mill can keep up w/ a high end mill. If the point of stock racing is not to let newcomers into the hobby then why have it?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
Tech Master

Most hobby stores or clubs don't want to spend money on providing spec motors or tires. And the racers don't want to buy all new parts just to race in a stock class. What is the chance that ALL racers interested in running will have the correct parts? The problem with spec class is that people thinking "stock" automatically thinks "cheap". The reason why it worked in the past was because there weren't much choices to choose from and most ppl had the same stuff.

If you make a stock class to keep everyone the same, the motor, tires, and batteries has to be standardized. You buy a cheap RTR, you will probably still have to spend a little more to get to spec. Whatever path you choose, stock or mod, you WILL SPEND MONEY. If the newcomers cannot understand this fundamental basis, please look for a new hobby.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Why should a newcomer pick up an r/c car over a new nintendo? They can both provide you w/ hours of entertainment w/ friends. They both do not offer exercise. How do you think you advertise r/c racing, bypassers right? Now, 9/10 of these bypassers is not going to agree to fork over their next morgage payment into something they know absolutely nothing about. Now, how many people want to invest into something that isn't going to run consistantly & turn slower laps even w/ a hot driver?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You are getting off your original post. You wanted someone to be able to pay out absolute minimum and keep up with people who are practically (for all intents and purposes) budget less and in the pursuit of capturing a National Title so their sponsors can sell product. This is a snowball to atombomb comparison.

You are comparing the little kid with a cap gun to a tourney paintball player. Stop confusing the two. If you are looking for a TCS class locally, make one. Stop complaining on a public forum just so you can pump up your post count.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #40
Tech Master

If they want a nintendo so bad, let them. We don't need ppl buying cars just to wreak havoc at the track and then disappearing.

I love my xbox and PS. I play the racing games and all the other good stuff. But that does not keep me off the track. Why?, cause I like cars. I like to wrench them. I like to wonder why my car is not handling the way it should. SCCA or RC, it is the same.

Start cheap, run, and then decide if you want to work on your skills and setup. Who cares if you are in the Z main. Everyone starts from the bottom. If you expect to do even remotely good without wrenching your own car and spending, welcome to neverland.

I am personally against RTRs. while it maybe easier for ppl to get into, they will not understand the mechanics of the car. Half the fun in RC is to build your own car. Generations these days are deprived of that fun factor and given everything on a silver platter. But when victory is not presented to them on a sliver platter, they just quit. The "old timers" had no RTRs back then, and I think that is where the big gap is these days. I know ex-drivers that cringe on the fact that they "have" to take the car apart to fix something. The willingness to get dirty and understand mechanics, is an absolute requirement in RC. Everything else comes after.

btw, you spend way more calories at the track then sitting on down playing videogames.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Unfortunally rc racing has become like any other form of car racing. If you got the money your prpobably going to win. I think that tracks should more often consider distrubuting things like motors and batteries, but there is still one problem, TIRES. Foam tire racing is WAY to pricey. 2-3 round of heavey racing and you need a new set. For touring people they are starting to run rubber on carpet which is great but for 1/12 scale you still have to use foam.

I laugh when people are amazed that touring car is dieing and classes like truggy and monster truck are very popular. Heres why, Outdoor gas truck is way cheaper. Its even cheaper to bash around. Lets face it all of us out there that have raced both Nitro truck and Electric touring car. Nitro trucks are way simpler to set up. and you biggest expense is some fuel and clutch pad change. There is no battery matching or Tire truer, or comm cutting.
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ahhheeemmm Lets remember this party_wagon.... Games wil cost you 60 plus for the newest latest and greatest game, in which a seasoned gamer can kill in under a week. So add that to you budget.

I have a ps3, a wii, origianl xbox, a nintendo ds, game boy. And a 6 year old training his hand eye coordination so when he does race he will be better off. But you wouldnt believe what I have wrapped up in games alone!
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Is there a punchline we should be looking for?
www.muddslidemotorsports.com
BSR Tires
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #44
Tech Elite

There is no point in running stock(newb classes if it is not set up for a newcomers budget to compete). There is no point in creating rules that will continue to drive the $ invested into the hobby up. The technology in in place to really change things up & create more budget friendly classes that will be much more similar to 2wd off road in terms of $ spent. The last time I checked a 3kmah lipo & a 380 sized motor will set you up w/ an 1100 gram car that will smoke any car setup today. Oh yeah, you will have fewer broken parts, less parts wear, $150 motor/battery/esc combos that run w/ gtb 3.5s.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #45
Tech Master

Why don't you run a class specifically for this?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rci...t/kit56701.htm

It is
-cheap
-relatively slow
-no building involved

What more do you need?
I have hotshot version of that and it is a blast to drive.

Associating fast => beginner is a recipe for disastor.