R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Come on guys, I want that setup that the fast guys are running. You know, the one w/ the brushless motor & the lipo battery. I'm probly in better shape then just about any one on this forum so getting outside isn't a big issue either. Why can I not use something like a 2s a123 pack that I can build for $20 & a mamba sidewinder? Did someone rule that it would be too fast for mod racing? I mean, if you want me to run lipos do I really have to buy the relabled cells that were marked up $50 so that I will have a $50 piece of plastic cover?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
C I'm probly in better shape then just about any one on this forum so getting outside isn't a big issue either.

nice! LOL
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Come on guys, I want that setup that the fast guys are running. You know, the one w/ the brushless motor & the lipo battery. I'm probly in better shape then just about any one on this forum so getting outside isn't a big issue either. Why can I not use something like a 2s a123 pack that I can build for $20 & a mamba sidewinder? Did someone rule that it would be too fast for mod racing? I mean, if you want me to run lipos do I really have to buy the relabled cells that were marked up $50 so that I will have a $50 piece of plastic cover?
The fast guys aren't running a123 packs.

But if you really want to, consult your local track and see if they will allow it.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Tech Elite

I'm just wondering why I need to spend $50 on a lable & a plastic case when I can buy lipo packs for less then that. I'm also wondering why I have to spend $270 on a bl system so it is sensored when I can purchase a great sensorless system for $135. I mean, the novak systems aren't even as good as the mamba(more features, smaller, doesn't over heat, great throtle w/ new programming). I have looked into the pros & cons of lipo vs a123 cells & the a123 cells kill the lipos in my point of view for mod racing.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

alright listen, you dimwit. $450 wont get you a high-end brushless setup. $450 will get you a car kit you have to build.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=HBS66450
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSK0256
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM42103

A123 packs are not ROAR legal as well, so if you want to hang with the big boys (who which i assume you mean sponsored and pro), then you must follow ROAR rules. Im not sure on mamba BL systems in mod, i think they allow it. So yeah, try that mamba if you want. Count the a123 packs out, go for the $80 4500 Trinity LiPo packs.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TRI20218
ROAR rules also state hard-case, so thats why you have to buy the more expensive packs. Novak not being as good as mamba is an opinion, btw. If you want to prove it, get a mamba and beat someone in an expert mod class. Im sure even the brushed guys will kick your ass. Im all for a123 cells being roar legal, especially given their durability and 30c rating but the 6.6v thing kills it for some people (though i never saw it as a weakness as the 30c helped make up for that). Regardless, dont try to fit "high end, keep up with the big boys" gear in a $450 bag.

Wont.

work.

You will need to spend more.

There is no such thing as a budget mod class. If anything, thats known as "19turn spec" or "super stock" now. Go buy that nintendo you mentioned.
End of story.

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 02-11-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It seems the person that started this thread is an expert- get yourself a nintendo and sit on the couch and play . While we'll be outside having fun on the weekend! No Pro driver ever started out as Pro Driver,but then you know that as you've been around for awhile.
So have fun couch potato and enjoy your indoor games.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #22
Tech Champion

The lastest technology isnt cheap, so the professional class of any competition is going to get expensive. Do you see Tiger Woods play with cheap $ stuff against the underdogs? Its unheard of.

$450 for your console... How many games and memory card etc etc with that?

Off road is cheap(er) as you dont need all the latest cells and the fastest motors. Primarily you need control, not outright speed...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

sounds like he is trying to make a point

why would a kid go race when he could buy a "nintendo" for 450$ but he cant get into RC

he has 1500 posts, im guessing im right
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
I think you made a miscalculation the avarage brushed esc and motor cost 100-150USD, a lipo pack with charger costs also around 100-125USD that is already 200-250USD. $200 left for tools, car, radio is not much. I advice you (if you are a newcomer) to start in the Tamiyaseries. If I read the above it sounds you just got your driverslicense and you first car has to be a Lamborghinin Diablo. Not a good choice don't you think?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys he just pulling your leg-Look at his posts..........
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Exactly Garrett. You guys are missing the point. Hes not a n00b or a nitwit. He is acting as the hypothetical new user that we all must deal with these days. He is only reflecting what reality brings us to make a point. Would you really turn off the new kid by calling him a nitwit when they would come to you in person asking these questions? When we have enough trouble getting new racing blood?

Not a ROAR class, but honestly, no club track is going to be going super into all of ROAR specs if at all.

Micro 1/18th. Yes, I'm biased. But you can get all that speed your looking for with your budget and without a large ruling body decreeing the motor or battery you choose as being illegal. Only what your club or track does or does not allow. Everyone is fast in this scale, it comes down to the ability to handle it. Something the Nintendo generation should have a advantage on with at least reaction time.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

His hypothetical is quite stretched, imo. There is no noob on the planet that can compete with the pros. Anyone that owns a gaming console knows that you won't only own one game. Most people also know that it takes a lot of seat time to completely conquer a game if you don't use cheat codes, and a little less time if you do. There aren't any cheat codes in RC. There may be cheaters, no cheat codes. You still need to practice and tune to get good.

What I'm saying is that there will be added expenses to any hobbies, even if it's getting fat in front of a video game console. Under-calculating would be comparing apples to oranges.

RC has a rules committee, and the rules must be followed. IF the hypothetical couch potato went to a video game competition, the cheat codes wouldn't be allowed, and rules would also have to be followed. ANY type of racing will cost money. Sprinters need shoes that work best for them - costs money. SCCA times trials costs money, even the 'low budget classes'. RC racing at the top level costs money.

I think that people get disillusioned when they get into RC. The pros race at so many local tracks where all the grass-roots racing is happening. Because they finish one main down from the local Pro that otherwise finished in the top 20 on the national scene doesn't put them only one main down from the pro if they raced in the same national race. The noobs thinking is that they could perform better if they had the pro level equipment is quite a mind job. They will only do marginally better, the same as 'new car syndrome'. Reality is harsh.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
How about this:

Any touring car you want so long as it weighs in at 1600 grams, stick pack batteries, and silver can 'johnson' motors with handout stick pack batteries.

That should keep costs and motor tuning down.
At our track, we're doing a similar novice class with 12th scale cars. To bolster the class, two of us owners built four "identical" competitive race cars to rent. They were all L3's, with GT7's, 4200 packs, silver can motors, good tires, fresh bodies, with like an MX-3 radio- built pretty much how we'd want to run them. We sold all of them in varying forms of completion. But, ready-to-run with a silver can motor, two packs of batteries, etc.- all but the charger, we sold them for $225, the cost we had in them. It's not a huge class, but a good class where the competition is close.
www.muddslidemotorsports.com
BSR Tires
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Do you guys not think there is a problem when you can't compete w/ a quality setup at a roar sanctioned event for under $450?
budget tc-
no weight limit
$15tamiya silver can
$30 duratrax spike
$35 2100mah lipo
$45 charger
$145 cyclone s
the car will pull like it has a hot mod because it is 2/3rds the weight & it's dirt cheap.
budget pan car
$15 silver can
$30 duratrax spike
$35 lipo
$45 charger
$150 budget pan car.
budget 2wd nitro
mugen mst-1 +lunsfords($160)
o.s. cv-r $110
$100 starter equip.
These 3 setups would leave you w/ over $100 for radio & servos.
Now, why is it that you can enter the nitro racing scene w/ a great car that is legal to race in major events for less then you can pick up a great car electric roar events?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Do you guys not think there is a problem when you can't compete w/ a quality setup at a roar sanctioned event for under $450?
budget tc-
no weight limit
$15tamiya silver can
$30 duratrax spike
$35 2100mah lipo
$45 charger
$145 cyclone s
the car will pull like it has a hot mod because it is 2/3rds the weight & it's dirt cheap.
budget pan car
$15 silver can
$30 duratrax spike
$35 lipo
$45 charger
$150 budget pan car.
budget 2wd nitro
mugen mst-1 +lunsfords($160)
o.s. cv-r $110
$100 starter equip.
These 3 setups would leave you w/ over $100 for radio & servos.
Now, why is it that you can enter the nitro racing scene w/ a great car that is legal to race in major events for less then you can pick up a great car electric roar events?

I think it is very difficult to limit or regulate anyone's budget for racing. Why ? because everyone have already invested RC equipments based on their own preferences. For examples : I don't want to buy $45 charger, because I already have $450 charger. I don't need $100 radio, because I already have $350 radio system.

However, you can limit or regulated : engines, motors, car bodies, tires, fuels, specific car model, to soften the cost of racing.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote