R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ridge_Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Ridge_Racer
Default Racer Burnout!! What to do?

I know this has happened to all of us at one point in our RC career. We get to a point that it no longer becomes fun and its just another source of stress. For whatever reason, the true spirit of races and racing was lost and you just want to win win win. And when you don't you get mad and place the blame on the track conditions/class rules/ another racer/ brushless lipo advatage/etc.

Is there anyone out there having trouble finding motivation to race? Perhaps you started racing hoping for something your not getting. Perhaps the rules have changed for you and you can't afford the new equipment to keep up. Or your tired of trying your hardest and getting less than expected results. Or I have no Fricken clue what the heck I'm talking about (thats happened before).

All I know is that the love of racing I had 2 years ago isn't there anymore. I have some choices to make and I just wondered if anyone has been down this road and would like to share a story.

thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

After 2.5 years of racing I got burned out recently. Took a 6 month break and just came back last month. I think the break really helped. Somehow during the break it helped me realize that I didnt need to buy all the latest / greatest stuff to be competitive and have fun. When I came back I surprisingly had not dropped off much skill-wise and after just a month of racing I feel like I might be the best IVe been (though I still have a long way to go, as do most of us).

I had grown a little tired of the nimh vs lipo and brushed vs brushless debates. That is mostly solved now so people seem a little less stressed. Rubber tire racing has picked up in the area which just further increases the fun. While I have made some upgrads to my car it hasnt been the cash drain it had been before.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMO you have to give yourself a reason to want to race. I work my butt off all week 12 hours a day, and 4 on sarturday just so I can get to Sunday and race. I look forward to racing, even if I know Im not going to win. I like the feeling I get when i improve a little and I get a little closer to the fast guys.

If someone told me today that Im never going to win a race, it wouldnt bother me, I dont race only to win, I race to have fun and I enjoy it regardless, if I ever win a race, thats just icing on the cake. Telling yourself that you HAVE to win is just puttin stress and presure on yourself for something that we do for fun.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I went through the same thing a little over a year ago. When I got back into racing for the third time, it was something to do with my son on the weekends, we had a great time learning and competing together. After my son turned sixteen, he was pretty much over it but, I kept on and still had fun. Eventually, it just got old....getting up early, prepping batteries, motors, tires, chunking tires, gas money, listening to the same people bicker back and forth every weekend about the same thing over and over only to come up with the same results week in and week out. I remember when I really enjoyed racing, I would get a sudden rush of adrenaline before a main and my mind was so clear and focused. After a while, I didn't care at all how the race would go or how I would do...I actually drove around the track backwards once trying to hit someone to make it more exciting (how stupid now that I think back).

Anyway, I got out and sold everything. I am getting back in now but, there have been a lot of changes (brushless, lipo, rubber tires, rules, people, etc.) and I'm only racing on the weekends that I want to race and doing others things when I want. I'm excited about getting back and competing but, not in a rush to do it and don't plan on overdoing it.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

double-posted..?

Last edited by EVILGRAFX; 02-11-2008 at 08:21 AM.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

First of all, don't sell all of your stuff. Odds are that you'll regret it in the future. I've raced on and off for the last 20 years and I'm currently 2 years into my 4th go-around with the hobby. I'm having more fun this time than I ever did before. Why? I think it's because I'm spending less money than I ever did before, I'm not racing every weekend, and I've come to accept the fact that I'm a good enough driver to not be in the back of the pack, but I'm not good enough of a driver to be in front of the pack at the big races. This hobby requires so much time, money, and patience that it's easy to become discouraged. It reminds me of golf. There's nothing wrong with taking a break and coming back when you want to....
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

David, I know what you are going through. I've been there on more than a handful of occasions, too.

Here's what I have found over the last 25 years of racing are the things that help avoid the burnout:

1) Don't race every weekend.
The fact is, racing too much is overwhelming, costly, time consuming and you lose track of the rest of your life. It's not worth it. They are just toy cars and should be fun. Pick and choose your races with a calendar instead of a watch.

2) Don't race more than 1 class at a time when you are feeling like this.
Again, part of that overwhelming feeling. Too much work and attention make you feel stressed and overloaded at the track and at home. Pick your favorite car in your favorite class and just race that—and that ONLY.

3) Try not to think or feel like you ever HAVE to race.
It becomes a job and then feels like drudgery. You dread loading up your car to go to the track and it sucks the life out of anything you do. When I am ready to go to a race, I load up the night before so I can't use it as an excuse, then on race day I decide, "do I want to race today?" Base your decisions on nothing other than if you REALLY feel like going to the track for the day.

4) Take a break from racing for 3 or 4 weeks.
Get away and do something else (books, movies, computers, video games, GeoCaching, hiking, biking, skiing... something different). Take your mind off of racing for a short time and come back with a fresh view and outlook. This works well for me.

5) DON'T SELL EVERYTHING YOU HAVE JUST TO GET OUT.
I've made this mistake more than a few times. I think to myself, "I've had it. This sucks. I'm not having fun, so why am I doing this to myself?" Selling everything only hurts you in the wallet when you change your mind in 3 months and want everything back again.

Burnout is normal. The only thing you have to do is not over-react to your feelings right now. Step back, take a breath and re-evaluate when you're feeling less strained by racing.

And if you want to chat more, you can hit me all day on AIM/Yahoo/MSN or any of the other contacts in my profile.

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
I think it's because I'm spending less money than I ever did before, I'm not racing every weekend, and I've come to accept the fact that I'm a good enough driver to not be in the back of the pack, but I'm not good enough of a driver to be in front of the pack at the big races. This hobby requires so much time, money, and patience that it's easy to become discouraged. It reminds me of golf. There's nothing wrong with taking a break and coming back when you want to....

Bingo.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The best advise is not to sell everything. If you need to take a break then take one. The one thing I try to do before taking a break from racing is to make sure I organize all my r/c stuff so that getting back to racing isn't such a pain.

I have been racing on and off for over 15 years now and I have never been burned out. I do take long breaks from racing when my personall life gets hectic or if other things pop up.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Tech Regular

I know how you feel.

I had a break last year. The only nationals I did was 2 bike and 5 tamiya series and I always made sure I went for the fun of racing and not winning. I had a great time .

I would recommend having a break and trying a new class when you feel the excitment come back.

I'm really looking forward to pro10 this year even though there will probably only be handfull of us racing for a few meetings.

I'm still bored with TC, I bought a tamiya 415 and have only used it once in 4 months.

And have you thought about trying a bike
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Thanks guys for all your tips. I'll share with you something that I am afraid of.

All through my life I started something, quit it, and never came back to it. I am a little worried that even a 3 week break will be enough to quit for good. Lazyness plays a role I suppose. I want to try to keep racing (at least until the summer) but I need to find a way to relax with racing instead of being all stressed about it.

Alexspeed, Trans-Am offers a wonderful opportunity. I feel that slowing down instead of having to go fast all the time is a great way to relax. Before the TCS race, all I was doing was Trans-Am and it was great!!

I don't have any problems with brushless (outside of the cost). I ran a brushless 13.5 for the first time at TCS and I just felt that everything I've learned in the last 2 years went out the window because I couldn't drive the car. It was kinda discouraging.

Anyway, I want to keep racing. I just want to take the intensity down about 8 to 10 notches so I don't have a heart attack on the drivers stand. (that would be a bad thing)

Last edited by Ridge_Racer; 02-11-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: I still need to learn to spell
Ridge_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Ive found it can be hard to get motivated racing outdoors when its cold too, (I cant focus well when im cold!) so maybe its just a simple thing like finding an indoor venue?

As said, dont make your choice too quickly or you might regret it. If you can understand why you feel burnt out by racing you're half way there

Ive had one gap from racing which isnt bad for 13 years, still enjoying it but do sometimes feel like I need a break from it all, or stay indoors.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Ive found it can be hard to get motivated racing outdoors when its cold too, (I cant focus well when im cold!) so maybe its just a simple thing like finding an indoor venue?
Thanks tc3team. My track is indoor carpet. Thats all that I've been racing for 2 years.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge_Racer View Post
Trans-Am offers a wonderful opportunity. I feel that slowing down instead of having to go fast all the time is a great way to relax. Before the TCS race, all I was doing was Trans-Am and it was great!!
You have basically already decided what makes you happy. If you feel trans-am is great go with Just that. Don't work on anything of your own besides your trans am car. Hide the rest in a closet or some other place.

Quote:
I don't have any problems with brushless (outside of the cost). I ran a brushless 13.5 for the first time at TCS and I just felt that everything I've learned in the last 2 years went out the window because I couldn't drive the car. It was kinda discouraging.
The overall cost is minor compared to up keeping a brushed motor. It will feel like that man don't give up. Personally I know you, I have raced with you for how long now. If you decide to stop I will miss you, but I will understand. Make sure to drop by if you decide to take a break for awhile. Do what you feel is in your heart and in your mind. Maybe take some time and shot an email or talk with scotty. He has kept me sane in this rc world of racing. I love ripping on you man because you will do it right back. I hate seeing friends go through this stuff. May your decision be true to your self and let your mind set you free.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks tc3team. My track is indoor carpet. Thats all that I've been racing for 2 years.
No problem, look at the flip side, maybe you need to be outdoors? I admit though its a weird feeling when you win a race and you're not all that happy about it. There's no point racing when you're like that, just no satisfaction.

I won my last race, I enjoyed the racing, but no satisfaction of winning! Im weird

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote