R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #31

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
All I know is that the love of racing I had 2 years ago isn't there anymore. I have some choices to make and I just wondered if anyone has been down this road and would like to share a story.
I bought a rock crawler. No racing, no competition, and it's not really bashing which I got over also. It's just fun. It's fun wrenching on the truck, it's fun making it better and coming up with clever ideas to make it work better.

It kind of resparked my interest in R/C ... I forgot how cool I used to think touring cars were, so I went and got a Losi Type R and spent a ton of time wiring it and getting it to look perfect...now I kind of have interest in it again, enough that I am willing to drive an hour to the local carpet track to run it. I don't even care about racing, it's more about playing with the pimp toys again...
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ridge_Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Ridge_Racer

Thank you all for your advice. I have read everything from sell some stuff, to don't sell anything to just try something else and a lot in between.

Redbones: I love the competition. at the same time, it was the competition that wore me out. I felt that I was never going to get them. I started to wonder if it was worth it. Was RC fun because of the competition? was it fun because of the desire to win? I think it is like that for me. Is this the correct thinking? I talk to people all the time at my track that say that they don't care if they win or lose. I think to myself, how is this so? what is the point of racing if not to win? I think I have to figure that out the most. I start the race day thinking OK i'm just going to tool around and have a little fun. Then the competition hits me and I start trying a little harder and harder and harder.

Something tells me I got to learn to relax a little more. Maby not think of racing as competition so much as another day of practice with my buddies. I must admit, a day at Trackside is never dull.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Lots of good advice here, but I'll go ahead and share my story anyway.

I've been racing for about 18 years now. For the first 15 or so years, the only weeks I took off were when my wife MADE me stay home for some sort of family event. (One of those was my wedding--- I raced the weekend before and the weekend after the honeymoon though!)

I loved racing, but there were weeks that it felt like a job to go to the track. Quite often I felt that I had to go or we might not have enough racers to run. Or if I didn't go, others might see that I wasn't there and they would stop coming too. This was all self imposed, but it still felt it was my responsibility to help keep the track going.

About 3 years ago our outdoor (summer) track shut down. For the first time in many years I took pretty much the whole summer off of racing. It was wonderful! I had plenty of time with my family and many of the old frustrations about R/C left me. When fall came and it was time to get back on the carpet track I was refreshed and excited all over again. So sometimes taking a break is the best thing for you.

Another thing that has helped me is changing classes. Over 18 years, I've raced just about every electric class there was. Off-road buggy and truck, dirt oval, asphalt oval, flat carpet oval, banked carpet oval, 12th scale carpet, 10th scale (pan) carpet, Touring Cars, oval trucks, Mini-Coopers... probably a few I've forgotten. Switching things up every now and then keeps things fresh.

My favorite class to race is 12th scale carpet, but that just isn't happening in my area now. But, oval is booming. So, I'm running in our Sportsman (breakout) class. I get to run a cool Mustang or 'Cuda body and am having a blast. It's great fun because I get to race with a completely different crowd than the on-road guys and I'm making new friends.

Don't give up on the hobby, just find some fun part of it and hang on!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

I'm surprized no one has mentioned this already, but isn't the obvious answer "women" ?
elvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

elvo: thats why 16 y/o's get out of the hobby,

and thats why 25y/o's get into it

any ways, i am in the burnt out mode as of now, i keep trying ways to keep myself into it, (working in the industry helps with the burnout), i mainly used to race nitro offroad and you couldnt stop me from racing 2 times a week, it was my life, my job, hobby, everything....

but it seems that most people are now complaining more than racing, i have tried mixing it up lately, running some onroad...stock was lame, so one race i ran mod, that was actually FUN, but since there is only 1 carpet track that is an hour and a half away it kinda hinders my getting there to run, and carpet season will be ending soon...

ive mostly been riding dirt bikes, real cars, photography, and drinking

hopefully something will work

havent tried crawling yet, i tried to bash, cant....only race...cant even bring myself to practice
Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

I was burnt out pretty bad, racing most weekends, on and off road. TC, 2WD Stock and 4wd mod. My wife sometimes races with me so at any time I might be maintaining five cars at a time for us to race. On top of the day to day job it gets real tough and frustrating.

Our club has a break over Christmas and I must say that just having the 2 months off has been good. Like others on this thread, I have felt bad if I can't make it to race, not only because I love it but I see that the club needs all the support it can get. Our club actually does pretty well, I love the people and it is fun to hang out, but it's a full Sunday, plus battery cycling, car set-up, sometimes takes all week!!!

I'm primed to get back to racing.
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to rtrsprint
Default crawling

Crawling is a blast and check out my web site. I built this trailer for crawling purposes. www.xtremecrawl.com.

stresssss goes away when you play!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just put everything on the side for awhile. Right now I walk past everything ,everytime I go to leave or enter the house.If I get motivated to work on something I will. It's great to take breaks in racing and just wrenching for awhile.As it gets closer to a scheduled race the excitment comes back because I get to see my racing friends. That's what keeps this hobby fun.
Presently I've got over a month and I 've got a body to paint and two cars to work on. Maybe today when I get home I'll do some wrenching on afew new /old ideas. If not things will sit another day.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #39
ODB
Tech Regular

First off, great thread.

The TCS Mini class is very refreshing and low cost. Our club runs handout motors, spec batteries, and the Tamiya ESC. The cars are very evenly matched. The field essentially "freezes" down the straightaways, and the better drivers are able to pull away from the pack through the turns.

Independent of the class I am running, I focus less on winning and more on improving. My goal is to finish one place higher than I qualify. If I finish a race 3 laps behind the best drivers, the new goal is to finish two laps behind. Or if my laps are in the 17s, then I shoot for the 16s, etc... That is a great day for me. No need to stress one's self with the unreasonable expectation of winning against the club's best racers. Eventually, I will improve enough to be competitive with the club's best racers.

Last edited by ODB; 02-12-2008 at 09:47 PM.
ODB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default burn out

hi,

going to other countries to race or watching initial d helps me get excited about racing.

just try to keep a balance, not rc all the time else we get sick of it.

enjoy.
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #41
Tech Master

One thing that might help is to temporarily stop racing for a few weeks and volunteer to help out around the track instead.

It seems like there is never enough people around these days to marshall, help out in the pits, run computer, make minor track repairs, or even try to work in the shop if you can. Especially on race day.

You might be really surprised at to what you learn what goes on all around you but you never noticed because you were alwasy racing/wrenching on your own car.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ridge_Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Ridge_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODB View Post
First off, great thread.
Independent of the class I am running, I focus less on winning and more on improving. My goal is to finish one place higher than I qualify. If I finish a race 3 laps behind the best drivers, the new goal is to finish two laps behind. Or if my laps are in the 17s, then I shoot for the 16s, etc... That is a great day for me. No need to stress one's self with the unreasonable expectation of winning against the club's best racers. Eventually, I will improve enough to be competitive with the club's best racers.
Thanks ODB, Killer Nick
I may be looking at this the wrong way. I have always sought to improve my times/laps every time I race. Its just that every time I make improvements, I see the faster guys get faster. Then I feel I am basically in the same position as if I didn't improve.

Eventually eh? My lack of patients may be my undoing. Still, I have to consider that I only have 2 years of racing behind me and the A main guys have no less that 12 years racing experience (just a guess). I guess good things come to those who wait (and practice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
One thing that might help is to temporarily stop racing for a few weeks and volunteer to help out around the track instead.

It seems like there is never enough people around these days to marshall, help out in the pits, run computer, make minor track repairs, or even try to work in the shop if you can. Especially on race day.

You might be really surprised at to what you learn what goes on all around you but you never noticed because you were alwasy racing/wrenching on your own car.
if there is a need for me, I'm sure they will ask and I will be happy to assist. I do like just going to the track to watch.

I am liking this vacation approach to RC. A little time off (or just slowing down some) may be just the ticket. I have a lot of things going on this spring and summer so thats a good thing. when I do get back into racing, I hope to have a new outlook and have more fun because of my change in priorities.

Again guys thanks for all the help with this.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Localy guys used to run nothing but 2wd buggy. However, they were high on maintanance & had low run times. Perhaps you are spending too much time in the pits pondering how to make yourself faster instead of driving. I would drop a lipo into a 1/12th scale w/ a gtb 13.5//17.5 & turn as many laps as you can on race days. Another thing that helps is to find other classes to run. Perhaps you can run indoor in the winter & electric off road in the winter. Remeber, if your spending too much time in the pits then purchase stuff that doesn't need alot of upkeep.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #44
Tech Elite

To the Original Poster, if you are burned out then you are burned out and there is nothing anybody can do about it. I suggest holding on to your stuff and just take a break from racing since I'm pretty sure you will get the bug back. Somehow I have a feeling you are addicted to this hobby.... lol
No need to do anything harsh, like I said take a break and you will realize how much fun it was and you can adjust your racing or approach to this hobby when you decide to come back......

One thing I don't recommend is to buy a different type of car to change things up just because that will make things worst. You will end up spending more money and if you don't enjoy that class you will end up feeling you wasted more money and time on racing that you were burned out on in the first place.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

2wd electric is a cheap class to get into. A $150 b4 roller & some new tires will get you running out of the gate.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote