R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I started racing in the late 80's and was bashing for years before that... I've taken many breaks from racing but I never sold anything off since I'd always go find a lot or sand pit and just go bashing for fun... Electric racing seems to burn me out the fastest... I set my 12th scales on my bench to get them ready for racing in September and they are still sitting in the same place, I haven't touched them. I got my first 5th scale about 5 years ago and honestly it's become my favorite class. I tune the engines maybe once or twice and go... No cycling batteries, truing tires worrying about buying expensive batteries (or even nitro), I stop at the gas station, put a gallon of gas in my can and get hours upon hours of run time out of it.... Initial outlay and tires are expensive, but the aggravation factor is much less...
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm actually glad I sold everything; Now that I'm running Lipo, my old charges are useless and selling for less and less every day - Now that I'm running brushless, my truer, dyno, motor tools, extra brushess, etc, are useless and selling for less and less everyday - Now that I'm running a different car, I don't have an extra car sitting around gathering dust and yes, selling for less and less everyday - Now that I'm running rubber only, my tire truer is also useless.

I did however keep my pit box and tools and I also kept my radio because I use it for VRC.

If I hadn't sold those items when I did, I would have a bunch of expensive paperweights lying around.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

LOL

When I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself, why is someone upset that a racer is doing burnouts...? Well I started reading the thread, and a big DOH hit me.

I got a little burned out about 3-4 years ago, but it was when TC was much bigger than now, and the attitudes were much worse when you had 40-50 people racing TC on one day. I encountered trouble while I was learning to drive on carpet, and when I made mistakes, I bumped into people. Some understand, some got mad. The angry racers drove me away from the hobby for 3 1/2 years unfortunately.

When I returned started racing again at the start of last summer, I found that all my old stuff was junk except for charger and power supply. As soon as I started running LiPo, had to get a new charger. The only thing I have today that I didn't use 4 years ago is my tool boxes, totes, and power supply.

I say if you get "Burnout" and you think you might be away for more than 6-12 months, sell most of your stuff while you can still get decent $$$ for it.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow,
I was just thinking of starting a thread about this topic. I've been doing this for 23 years and have burned out twice. Just about every racer I know has burned out at one point or another. I think it would be helpful to talk about why we burned out and what brought us back.

RidgeRacer, I'll give you the benefit of my experience for what it is worth. During my longest break I sold my cars, radios, batteries and motors, but kept my tools. All told that was a fairly good idea with one exception, I would say keep your first car, keep your favorite car and most importantly keep your tools! Other than that if you're stressing about how much you have tied up in it all than go ahead and sell it. For me one of the attractive aspects that brought me back to the hobby was how much the cars had changed and how cool some of the new cars and technology were. That Christmas feeling when buying new stuff is always a good thing.

As far as racing goes, I have a mantra "We're racing little toy cars." If that doesn't make me happy without being stressed out than I know I'm in the wrong place in my head. This is a hobby and while it has many challenging and redeeming facets, generally it should be stress free and fun! If you're not having fun don't be afraid to take a break, but don't write it off either. Space and time allow for a broader perspective and once you think of those really cool, really fast little toy cars again you can discover it anew and hopefully find a different satisfaction from the experience.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This may sound silly, but I actually do a little more racing when I'm suffering from burnout. But I change it up. I'm an oval racer and I keep a 1/12th scale on hand just for times like these. Because its not something I expect to do well in, I just go out and drive and have fun hanging out with the guys, but I know I'm not very good on track so it completely transforms me.
When I'm racing oval I feel I'm good enough I can run with just about anybody (maybe not beat them, but run with them). So thats my target, and thats where my competitive fire gets its workout. When that fire disappears I start turning right and the only competition I have there is the darned pipe. Survive for eight minutes and its a victory
It might work the other way around for you.
CBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #21
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I used to race every weekend, or at least go practice every weekend. I have gotten burned out a handful of times but never sold anything off.

The first time I was using a Tamiya TA03 and just kept pouring more and more money into it trying to get faster but not really knowing what I was buying. This will burn you out FAST. You put so much money in and don't get any faster. I stopped racing for about 2 years! During that time I bought a TA04 off of ebay with the intention to build it but never even opened the box and sold it on ebay about 4 months later.

The second time was this past summer. I spent every week for about 12-14 week straight getting ready for the Tamiya TCS Regional then the Nationals. Put a lot of time and money into it and got. and after Nationals I think I took 2 months off. Now with the imminent closure of the Tamiya facility in Aliso Viejo, I am going there every weekend to enjoy it before racing becomes more of an effort than a 15 minute drive on Saturday mornings.

I am in the position where I do not know what to do next with my r/c hobby, but I will be taking some time off to figure it out.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I too went through this. I am a club racer at heart and was into carpet touring cars.
It got to be a chore to have to cut motors, cut tires, set suspension, deal with batts, lugging everything around.
Got out and concentrated on offroad. I have raced mt, truggies, buggies and am having a blast. Really enjoying going to the track, fueling up and just racing. End of the night empty the tank and put it away.
It has been two years now of only nitro during the summer and I have no regrets. I still follow the onroad scene, only now as a spectator.

The key was to not stretch myself so thin. I look foward to racing now that it is not a full time hobby.

8ight B 2.0 brushless
tekin rx8 1550kv
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

with the new technology (brushless AND lipo)..... racing has become more fun and more affordable for me. now i get more track time..and bang for my buck. with batteries being so high in capacity... its more fun to practice too since run times are longer.

i dont race as much as i used to, but taking breaks (whether they're long (months at a time) or short ones (racing twice a month)) definitely helps.

i think the key is to find a car that works for you, race WHEN you want to, and keep it affordable.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
Tech Master

Not trying to boast, but I was the best driver at the local track for about a year. It got to a point where I drove with a TT01 against 415s, cyclones and I still can win. Going to a race where there's no competition burned me out to a point where I wanted to quit RC. Then recently, bunch of guys started to show up from a track that closed down far away, and gave me the run of a lifetime. I actually had to drive consistent and fast to stay in the top three. Now that sparked a new flame within me, and love racing again.

RC racing is all about the competition to me.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoptherockets3
Default I almost quit!

I almost quit because everyone used to make fun of me for playing with what they call toy cars! But here I am and I didn't stop doing what I love!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
with the new technology (brushless AND lipo)..... racing has become more fun and more affordable for me. now i get more track time..and bang for my buck. with batteries being so high in capacity... its more fun to practice too since run times are longer.

i dont race as much as i used to, but taking breaks (whether they're long (months at a time) or short ones (racing twice a month)) definitely helps.

i think the key is to find a car that works for you, race WHEN you want to, and keep it affordable.
DING!!DING!!DING!!! That's the ticket and "it's good for at least a tenth"

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
DING!!DING!!DING!!! That's the ticket and "it's good for at least a tenth"
i almost quit.. because a "friend" of mine from SIR said they were going to Nats... then they CHICKENED OUT. now THAT'S good for at least TWO TENTHs.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

i believe the most important thing is having some varitation. If you're running electric sedan non-stop for a few years, ofcourse itll get boring. If you can, get outside, and try some offroad. If that doesnt work, buy a basher, and see how much fun you can have with a car, and then go back to racing, but dont overdue. Ill probably race once every two weeks next winter. Another thing that helps me a lot, is buy a piece of equipment say every month, so say the car one month, the esc the next, then a motor, etc. I find its much more fulfilling when youre done, because you dont see your money just disapear all at once. Also, it gives you time to choose the thing you want, and eventually, feel comfortable about your decision, not regretting something you got impromptu. I might have a different view because im still a teenager so i dont have the money, or spare time to prepare a car completely together in a day or two. I'm in no rush to get the car on the track, because theres no one to impress or show off to, besides myself.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to rtrsprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
First of all, don't sell all of your stuff. Odds are that you'll regret it in the future. I've raced on and off for the last 20 years and I'm currently 2 years into my 4th go-around with the hobby. I'm having more fun this time than I ever did before. Why? I think it's because I'm spending less money than I ever did before, I'm not racing every weekend, and I've come to accept the fact that I'm a good enough driver to not be in the back of the pack, but I'm not good enough of a driver to be in front of the pack at the big races. This hobby requires so much time, money, and patience that it's easy to become discouraged. It reminds me of golf. There's nothing wrong with taking a break and coming back when you want to....
Leodis, golf is the perfect analogy. I get so pumped at the first sign of spring, and ready to get out and hit the ball. I usually play great for the first 3 or 4 games. It later get's in my head if I hit a bad shot, and I spend so much time trying to correct that it just all goes south. I think racing is the same way. I spent years racing go karts and I never won a race. I could blame it all on competition, lack of equipment, or horrible set ups. I didn't though, it was time I got to spend with my father and it was great. I hope you all don't take this sport to seriously, cause I know I have and it can put a strain on relationships and finances. Good luck to you and keep on racing!!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

It's a hobby. If it isn't fun, stop doing it. Lately Im having more fun helping prep our clubs offroad track and turn-marshal and pit during races so that others can have fun rather than driving for myself.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote