R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #106
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

People will see the way to go when the cars get out on the track. The experienced guys will point the newbies in the right direction and the class will soon settle in. I really feel when some of the guys get there taste for the super high speeds, they will settle in to a more comfortable form of racing with the cars. Tire wear and bodies are going to be the consumables for this class. Keeping the speeds reasonable will keep the racing costs to a minimum. Lets wait and see everyones thoughts when the cars get out on the market. In the end we will be up here talking about the fun we are having racing these cars. They really are alot of fun
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
This is what I've been working on, It's a 1972 John Deere 7520 that I'm helping to restore for my boss which happens to be my uncle.
I am thinking It need some neon green and purple bass boat metal flake flames.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Will these cars be close to the 1/12 cars setup? On Carpet
And what tires would you recomend for asphalt? Back in the day it was Greens and Blues for asphalt will it be the same?
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I am thinking It need some neon green and purple bass boat metal flake flames.
LOL, It went back to the original Green & Yellow, I sure am glad I didn't use the airbrush on it It only took about 6 hours to lay the primer down (1 coat)
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #110
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
Will these cars be close to the 1/12 cars setup? On Carpet
And what tires would you recomend for asphalt? Back in the day it was Greens and Blues for asphalt will it be the same?
They are pretty similar. I have been running 2x pink front and rear on asphalt and carpet. 13lb. spring for asphalt and 15 lb for carpet. stock flex plates for both with 7000 wt. oil in the tubes. I used wolf reds for asphalt and AE .018 1/10th springs for carpet and ran 5000 wt. on the kingpins.

This car uses alot of the 1/12th car parts. If you have one of our 1/12th cars then alot of your spares will carry over.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #111
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

i completely agree that racing should be as close as possible, and i also think that mod is getting out of hand, with like 5 laps behind the leader, give me a break. Thats why theres stock, its as close as racing should get, because theres limited motor choices, and its especially close with handouts. I think stock is a good speed, where its close, but you stil lneed some skills to drive it. If we all were to go racing at 15-20 mph, you would need almost no serious wheel time, because you would have so long to think ahead for the next turn, and honestly, i would get bored faster watching close slow racing, than watching a ridiculous matchup in mod, because i know that the drivers are all top notch, and the few that are close in the race, are the most fun things to watch.

Last edited by Ferrarimk13; 02-26-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spell check =D
Ferrarimk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
i completely agree that racing should be as close as possible, and i also think that mod is getting out of hand, with like 5 laps behind the leader, give me a break. Thats why theres stock, its as close as racing should get, because theres limited motor choices, and its especially close with handouts. I think stock is a good speed, where its close, but you stil lneed some skills to drive it. If we all were to go racing at 15-20 mph, you would need almost no serious wheel time, because you would have so long to think ahead for the next turn, and honestly, i would get bored faster watching close slow racing, than watching a ridiculous matchup in mod, because i know that the drivers are all top notch, and the few that are close in the race, are the most fun things to watch.
I kind of feel that the gap in stock is about the same, to be honest.

It's hard to gauge the gap in mod at larger events because a lot of people that might enter mod are afraid they might hack somebody important... or Barry Baker. (MAN, it's always fun to hack on Barry... it never gets old. You watch, Fate and Karma are going to get me, and I'm going to end up pitting next to him Omaha, where he can constantly ask me "How's life in the H-main?...")

Handout motors only equally pick the pocket of the entrants and has (in my opinion) little or no effect on the final outcome of the race. Not one time have I witnessed a racer that is a middle of the road club racer, step up with an "equal chance" with a handout motor, and stomp the guts out of folks at a major event. Racers that are good motor tuners are just that, good motor tuners. So what you really got was an extra $100 bill at an event and a few motors that you'll likely never use again. I'm thinking I've accumulated several hundred handout motors over the last years. Nobody forced me to buy them... BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF...

Maybe it's some kind of mentally comforting "thing" about handouts. But it doesn't make the racing closer, or change the outcome of the event. Be cool if it did though, I'll give ya that.

(Sorry about the thread hi-jack)

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-26-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #113
Tech Addict

i guess, but if one person is able to get a better motor, so can the other guy right? so it technically should be equal, but its not, and thats the problemt that will always be with rc, no matter how slow you get, theres never going to be completely equal racing, and i guess we should take it the way it is, and just be able to satisfy ourselves with how we race, and not worry about time as much. I think that no matter what, this hobby will always be strong, and the drivers will be satisfied to a point.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #114
Tech Champion

Quote:
i guess, but if one person is able to get a better motor, so can the other guy right? so it technically should be equal, but its not, and thats the problemt that will always be with rc, no matter how slow you get, theres never going to be completely equal racing, and i guess we should take it the way it is, and just be able to satisfy ourselves with how we race, and not worry about time as much. I think that no matter what, this hobby will always be strong, and the drivers will be satisfied to a point.
I can't recall any stock race that was won in the last 6 years becuase some guy had more motor or battery. I have seen dyno'd hand out motors that had really crappy numbers get used to win several major races though.

The top guys have very equal equipment...its all pretty good stuff. A guy in the E main may not have as good a motor but even if he did he would most likely still be in the E main.

Stock and 19T racing is all about car setup and driving very fluid energy conserving lines. This is what the top guys look like thay have a lot of motor.

Mod is all about who can hang on and not make mistakes.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #115
Tech Addict

exactly, so thats what i mean, how can racing be unequal because of motor, if you suck at racing, you can get as much motor as you want, but youre still going to do nothing with it, and thats why switching to something even higher than stock, isnt a smart thing to do, in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
exactly, so thats what i mean, how can racing be unequal because of motor, if you suck at racing, you can get as much motor as you want, but youre still going to do nothing with it, and thats why switching to something even higher than stock, isnt a smart thing to do, in my opinion.
Mod is for drivers who have a couple years under there belt and can handle it. I tried to wheel a mod 1/12 scale and it was to much to handle. Yuo have to know your limit The other thing is with mod you just going to hit the wall faster and harder If you are a new guy. The is no point for a new guy to start in mod.

Getting back to what the forum is really about when is the release date for this car?
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #117
Tech Addict

yeah, mod racing is outrageous, they dont even run it at our local track, and i think thats pretty good, yeah, we should go back on topic, i hear that the car is coming along well, and jason said that they should be sold soon?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #118
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWMAN View Post
Mod is for drivers who have a couple years under there belt and can handle it. I tried to wheel a mod 1/12 scale and it was to much to handle. Yuo have to know your limit The other thing is with mod you just going to hit the wall faster and harder If you are a new guy. The is no point for a new guy to start in mod.

Getting back to what the forum is really about when is the release date for this car?
Mod is really about dedication. Its hard and to get good at it you have to stick with it until you get it. It not just handling all the rip and speed. Car setup becomes more critical so you have to really get good at a few thing all at once.

The pay off is once you are comfortalbe running mod you will be a terror when you race stock or 19T. Those classes feel SO SLOW and you car setup is SO GOOD from running mod that you will look like Lemieux wheeling you car around.

I raced 13.5 sedan for the first time 2 weeks ago. I normally run 10.5/19T or Mod. I beat all the local fast guys by 2 laps. My car was so easy to drive becuase it felt like it was crawling.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #119
Tech Champion

Quote:
yeah, mod racing is outrageous, they dont even run it at our local track, and i think thats pretty good, yeah, we should go back on topic, i hear that the car is coming along well, and jason said that they should be sold soon?
The DB10R is very close. We should have pics of the production car on Monday. We are waiting on a few componets to come in and they will be ready to start shipping. I would say in ~2-3 weeks.

Wait until you see the production car...its just sick!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #120
Tech Addict

nice, i saw some of the videos on youtube, and its really cool, cant wait until they make some classes and i get to see them running together.