Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #991
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Isn't that the track in Bad Breisig?

Edit: never mind, only saw the picture and now just saw the video. I was there once as well. Nice track and a beatifull suroundings with the big river and mountains.
Yes thatīs Bad Breisig. At the weekend we will have the Nationals there.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #992
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Looking at the car from the front, if your tie rods are level it will give you bump steer. The closer you keep the angle of the tie rods to the angle of the upper arms. If you look down from the top of the car, the turnbuckle angle from front to rear will adjust your ackerman. I normally run them straight across looking from the top as it is pretty neutral. Even a little forward in center is good. Running the inner ballcups behind the outer ballcups is not good
Thatīs what I meant above. Comparing pictures from different DB10R, if the tie rods are in front of the servosaver (as at the manual) then the tie rods look more forward angled to me than when they are behind the servosaver as with the picture from your car above. I never tried this but had the tierods always in front of the servosaver with all of my pancars in the past. Maybe just for the fact as this was used at all of the manuals.

But if I understand this right then the tie rods behind the servosaver should be better. Does this depend also if the track is tight or open and fast?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #993
V12
Tech Elite

Got my DB10R now.
Iīm right in the building process now, graphite parts are sanded already.

One question on the frontend. I thought the kingpins are longer than the ones from the 1/12 scale but it seems they are the same as my DB12RR. Is this OK?
Is someone using harder frontsprings than the ones from the kit? Especially when using a heavier battery like 2cell Lipo?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #994
V12
Tech Elite

Very quiet here currently.

So a little report from my DB10R at our Outdoor Onroad Nationals last weekend.

As I got the kit very late my DB10R and body was finished just on friday evening. Saturday morning I left for the Nationals what did begin that day. Beside the open Pro10 235mm class (unlimited motors) and a touring class with spec motors we had one complete group (unofficial class) with 10 narrow 200mm cars what are basically World GT cars but with different rules.
Difference is our rules say 2 cell Lipo, 13.5T spec motors and GT or Group-C bodies. No tire limits.

As I did not get a saddlepack Lipo I had to use sticktype Lipo. For getting a better weightbalance I used some lead weight what was arranged for fixing the Lipo also, donīt like strapping tape. Also using a larger bumper made from 3mm Lexan the overall weight was about 120g above the weight limit, so a little on the heavy side. Maybe this would result in some slower laptimes maybe the higher weight would result in better traction I donīt know.

When I arrived at the track I think I was one of the very last drivers arriving. Everybody could have had 2 days of free practice before if they wanted.
So just 3 rounds of controlled practice now. Track was very large and flowing (as above) high traction and very high temperature. Track temperature was more than 50°C someone reported from up to 59°C, donīt know how much this is in Fahrenheit.

I had no experience in this 200mm class and of course also no experience with the DB10R so started completely with the kit setup what did work not that bad. Later I changed to a harder setup overall and this suited the track conditions better. We had 5 rounds of qualifying with 2 rounds to count on points. Car setup and my feeling for the track improved over time so I had a 2nd and 3rd place as best positions during qualifying. Because of the point system I started as 5th overall at the Main what was run triple.
At the Mains I had a 3nd, 4th and 5th place overall but due to the point system this resulted in a 6th place overall. In the end it was a lot of fun driving the DB10R and not that bad for the first race.
Attached Thumbnails
BMI DB10R!!!-img_5004.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-img_4993.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #995
Uga
Tech Regular

Congrats V12 on your first race. You car looks great!

What is your weight limit? The official limit is 1100g, we have reduced it to 1050g and I still have to use ~20g of lead weights to achieve it with 4cell NiMh's. BTW my 2S Intellect 4200 saddle lipo is even ~50g lighter then my IB4600 NiMh cells, but when you add the weighted lipo tray it's all even. Do I see right that you have the lead weights on both sides of the chasis..?
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #996
Tech Master

Silly question--- You need to use a full size servo right, a mini (like for 1/12) will not work, right??
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #997
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Silly question--- You need to use a full size servo right, a mini (like for 1/12) will not work, right??
E
No 12th servos are fine, I have been running a Futaba 9602 in mine all year. The chassis is slotted for servo fixing so you can fit just about anything in there

Jason
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #998
Tech Master

Okay, thanks.
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #999
V12
Tech Elite

Thanks Uga.
Our weight limit is 1000g + 25g for the personal transponder so 1025g overall.
I have lead weight (a lot) on different places. First I wanted to balance the ESC so put some weight on the right side between transponder and Spektrum Micro receiver. Then I wanted the weight balance a little more to the rear and did use that at the rear end of the chassis left and right side of the Lipo so the Lipo also canīt move.

Your saddlepack battery is exactly the type I wanted to have but it isnīt available currently. According to the specs itīs about 50g lighter than my 5000 stick packs also I think I would not need any balancing weight, this is just about 120g difference. Also my thick lexan bumper is more heavy than the BMI stock bumper but I wanted a good support for the front of the body.
I donīt know what ESC you have but I think there are some lighter ESC than my LRP as the Tekin. I could have removed the heatsink but I didnīt want going any risk as we expected very high temperature at the race.
Overall I think something below 1000g is possible with the DB10R but Iīm not sure if you still have the same traction with lower weight. At the start I was able passing one or two drivers always at the start.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #1000
V12
Tech Elite

Uga
Do you have a picture from your DB10R with the Intellect saddlepack Lipo at the car? Would like to see how this looks like and where the connectors from the Lipo are in relation to the batteryplate.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #1001
Tech Master

looks nice v12, do you have some pics of the rear pod with the tweakplates etc?

I do think that weight and the placing of it on the chassis is important und underweight is probably not so good for traction.

I am planning to put saddlepacks in my new link car as well instead of a stickpack. More weight to the back so more traction unpower. Looking at the lrp esc i am glad i bought a tekin. But with saddlepacks there would be more room up front to put the esc.

Is a 200mm car really that much lighter then a 235mm? Mine comes at 1130grams without any lead but ready to run with 2s lipo ( have put over 70 gram of lead so it is over 1200 grams). Do you remember what the weight is without the lipo's and lead weights? Just curious.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #1002
V12
Tech Elite

I just looked for weight when the car was ready to run. I also thought a bad balanced car is more worse than an overweight car.
I know using the 4200mAh Intellect Lipo instead of my 5000 would bring down the weight by about 50g. Using the Saddlepack-Lipos (when available) I could get ride of the balanceweights where I used 65g lead overall. Using the stock bumper would save another 15-20g. Using a smaller ESC like the Tekin and shorter wires would bring down the car to maybe 980g then or even lower.
But on the other side I had great traction from a standing start and always could outaccellerate 1 or 2 guys right at the start.

So my car raceready was about the same weight as your car without lead.

I had the LRP ESC already from last year and it works very good, just beside the fact it has no powerprograms like the newer ones.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #1003
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Uga
Do you have a picture from your DB10R with the Intellect saddlepack Lipo at the car? Would like to see how this looks like and where the connectors from the Lipo are in relation to the batteryplate.
Here is my DB10 with saddle pack Lipos. Running a 13.5t Orion Vortex motor
Attached Thumbnails
BMI DB10R!!!-001.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-002.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-005.jpg  
blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #1004
Uga
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Uga
I don't have the lipo setup on right now, as our new lipo rules are taking effect only for the next carpet season in about a month, we are currently still running NiMh's, I've only played around with the lipo a few times at practice. As you can see in blackbirds setup you can only put the battery connectors to the front as the battery plate doesn't allow to connect the 2 middle connectors if put to the back. I am using Speedpassion LPF (the old version) mounted behind the battery on the right side of the chasis, receiver is located next to it on the left side of the chasis.
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1005
Tech Master

you can't turn the lipo's 180 degrees and then move them to the back so the connectors are not under the battery plate? or is something else also in the way then?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote