R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #976
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Let me know if you need any help with it buddy.
Well I think you could give me some tips on setup. I think I will start with the kit setup then but maybe there is something you would change right from the beginning because of the different conditions.
As I said at the email already our rules are different. We run 2 cell lipo and 13.5T spec motors weight limit is 1000g. Saddlepack Lipos are not available currently so have to use my 5300 (heavy) sticktype Lipos for this race. Racetrack will be asphalt outdoors, fast and flowing.
This is the track
http://www.bauer-online.name/_borders/Rennstrecke.gif
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YRpI...e=channel_page
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #977
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Well I think you could give me some tips on setup. I think I will start with the kit setup then but maybe there is something you would change right from the beginning because of the different conditions.
As I said at the email already our rules are different. We run 2 cell lipo and 13.5T spec motors weight limit is 1000g. Saddlepack Lipos are not available currently so have to use my 5300 (heavy) sticktype Lipos for this race. Racetrack will be asphalt outdoors, fast and flowing.
This is the track
Video
Wow, that track is huge. I would start with the kit setup. 2s and 13.5 isnt going to be tough on a track that size. The setup i posted on here that i just ran should be good also. Just go with 2x pink front and rear and cut the tires to 2.250 and you should be fine.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #978
V12
Tech Elite

Justs did look again at the manual from the website. So I will keep the 10° castor blocks right? Didnīt read anything on the oil in the centershock, what is a good starting point 40wt or less? Donīt know this Losi (?) shock.

With the onroad cars I always used the steering tierods in front of the servosaver what is also used in the manual. But sometimes you also see pictures like yours above with the steering tierods behind the servosaver. When do you use this and why? Never found an explanation until now.
Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #979
Tech Lord

The kit shock is the new IRS macro shock. I use 45 wt. oil in it most of the time. I like running my tie rods behind the servo saver for leverage reasons. The further you have the ballcups from the gear, the more load that is put on the servo saver. It moves the weight a little further forward but on the WGT car it doesnt make any difference in handling.
J Concepts
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #980
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
I ran 70mm at minnreg last time with the timing cranked all the way up on the speedo and motor. That was with the SP LPF and trinity duo motor. I may have been able to go up a tooth or so but it was getting the job done.

70mm ?. I have'nt ran pan cars in over 15 years . So i dony lnow what you mean .
hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #981
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
70mm ?. I have'nt ran pan cars in over 15 years . So i dony lnow what you mean .
I will get you geared properly when we go to the next minnreg race. To figure your rollout you take your tire diameter X 3.14 and that will give you the circumference. Then you take the number of teeth on the spur/number of teeth on your pinion and that gives you the final drive. Take the circumference / the final drive and you have your roll out.
J Concepts
Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #982
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I will get you geared properly when we go to the next minnreg race. To figure your rollout you take your tire diameter X 3.14 and that will give you the circumference. Then you take the number of teeth on the spur/number of teeth on your pinion and that gives you the final drive. Take the circumference / the final drive and you have your roll out.
Cool thank's .But what if my car is a different bran than yours .
Old 08-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #983
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Cool thank's .But what if my car is a different bran than yours .
It doesnt matter. I was helping guys with CRC,AE and SpeedMerchant cars last time. Im not a cornball like that.
J Concepts
Old 08-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #984
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
It doesnt matter. I was helping guys with CRC,AE and SpeedMerchant cars last time. Im not a cornball like that.
I know your not Thats why i let you use any of my stuff at the track .
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #985
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
The kit shock is the new IRS macro shock. I use 45 wt. oil in it most of the time. I like running my tie rods behind the servo saver for leverage reasons. The further you have the ballcups from the gear, the more load that is put on the servo saver. It moves the weight a little further forward but on the WGT car it doesnt make any difference in handling.
Ah never thought about the leverage from the tie rods putting more load on the servosaver. Thanks for clearing up. Actually I thought steering geometrie is different as I think tie rods are more straight this way.

Regarding the centershock, with the newer kits the shock was moved more to the rear in compare to what I found in the downloaded manual. Is the overall length still 79mm?
Also the resulting pod droop of 1.5mm is this for carpet or also used for asphalt outdoors?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #986
Tech Lord

Quote:
Ah never thought about the leverage from the tie rods putting more load on the servosaver. Thanks for clearing up. Actually I thought steering geometrie is different as I think tie rods are more straight this way.

Regarding the centershock, with the newer kits the shock was moved more to the rear in compare to what I found in the downloaded manual. Is the overall length still 79mm?
Also the resulting pod droop of 1.5mm is this for carpet or also used for asphalt outdoors?
I will check my shock length tommorow. If i remember correctly it is the same. I use 1-1.5mm pod droop everywhere as long as the bumps arent too bad.
J Concepts
Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #987
Tech Master

Quote:
I thought straight steering rods induced bumpsteer? I saw this on the new corally, it had straight rods and when you compressed the front it got a little toe in. Don't know if it is bad or good but it was there. The rc10l2 with the forward swept rods doesn't have bumpsteer.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #988
Tech Master

Quote:
This is the track
Video
Isn't that the track in Bad Breisig?

Edit: never mind, only saw the picture and now just saw the video. I was there once as well. Nice track and a beatifull suroundings with the big river and mountains.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #989
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
I thought straight steering rods induced bumpsteer? I saw this on the new corally, it had straight rods and when you compressed the front it got a little toe in. Don't know if it is bad or good but it was there. The rc10l2 with the forward swept rods doesn't have bumpsteer.
Looking at the car from the front, if your tie rods are level it will give you bump steer. The closer you keep the angle of the tie rods to the angle of the upper arms. If you look down from the top of the car, the turnbuckle angle from front to rear will adjust your ackerman. I normally run them straight across looking from the top as it is pretty neutral. Even a little forward in center is good. Running the inner ballcups behind the outer ballcups is not good
J Concepts
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #990
Tech Master

Quote:
Looking at the car from the front, if your tie rods are level it will give you bump steer. The closer you keep the angle of the tie rods to the angle of the upper arms. If you look down from the top of the car, the turnbuckle angle from front to rear will adjust your ackerman. I normally run them straight across looking from the top as it is pretty neutral. Even a little forward in center is good. Running the inner ballcups behind the outer ballcups is not good
I see, i did see that with different ride height i got different ackerman (rc10l2.5) so i now always shimm the ballend up or down accordingly to get the same ackerman. What you say would be the same then? Less sweeping forward rods means less ackermann? Straight means no ackerman ( but shiming the ball ends would do some sorth of ackerman change ( also depending on ride height). I got the same feeling that indeed less ackerman drives more neutral.