R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's what it looks like on a 48x100 foot carpet track.

This first video, I believe is my second pack on the track, and first few laps with the car. Be kind, I'm getting old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItN8bG3tu-Y

This second video was my son Randon. He never does 1/12th or pan. So I gave him the wheel and let him rip it around. The tires were wet for the first lap or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCd1U-uIKg

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #77
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats awesome bob. Im glad that all of you guys enjoyed the car. Thanks for helping out. We need to get these cars noticed and this is best way

My gearing was really tall on the car. our track was reall flowing and was all sweepers so we needed to gear the piss out of it.

We will get another one up to you very shortly. I need that one back for a race on a monster 1/8th track this coming weekend.

Thanks again bob. I really appreciate the help.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Niiiice!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #79
Tech Lord

The center spring on the car was a 13 lb. that i used for very low bite asphalt. When i ran it on carpet i went to a 15lb. spring and it made thae car alot more responsive and more direct feeling. I had to numb the car to run on the low bite surface.

I am really excited about this class. With all of the interest, i really feel that this class is going to happen. There is alot of contravercy with rules but they will all work out once guys run the cars.
J Concepts
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
I am looking to cost cut on the car now. If i was to equip the car with all the upgrades as my 1/12th car has then we would be looking at a $299.99 price tag. I want to cut costs to keep it at the same price as my 1/12th at
$250.00. The carbon fiber cost is much higher on this car as opposed to the 1/12th due to the size. It is almost double. So i will need to lose some of the expense elsewhere to keep the price down. I will offer the super high end parts from the 1/12th as upgrades but i need to find areas to keep price down.
Take a page out of history...

The RC10L was available in fiberglass for the budget minded and carbon fiber for the cutting edge racers.
Blind Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #81
Tech Lord

I should be able to keep it all carbon fiber with no problems.
J Concepts
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Bob,

What would you think about those with, say, a 17.5 (or even higher?) on our track?

I'd LOVE to get some of these going outdoors/summer but off-road would kill attendance...

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Bob,
What would you think about those with, say, a 17.5 (or even higher?) on our track? I'd LOVE to get some of these going outdoors/summer but off-road would kill attendance...
You may or may not remember the 200mm pan car I was testing for a while about 2 years ago at some of those club races (see image below). Was about the time I was ironing out our "Enduro" motors. Used a modified 30 turn motor on 4 cells with a 200mm Stratus on it. Rick took a few laps with it. As I recall it was faster than stock touring.

If I were to make a recommendation, it would be to either use Silver can Tamiya motors or 21.5 stuff on 4-cells. And if we end up with stuff in the 21.5 and higher over the next few months, look at that too. And longer run times, perhaps somewhere in the 8-12 minute range (the tough part on race day is getting to the track, let guys have some track time). Also, Muscle cars, like the 'Vette. Something people recognize and can relate to. I suspect different parts of the world would want to use a body that represents popular culture in their area. You guys get really interested, I'll build another one, bring it down, and you can test it. Naturally we would have to use the super smooth BMI cars.

Was this car.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #84
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

wow, thats a beautiful body, i would stray away from silver can, i hate not knowing whats inside!! lol. At this rate, we'll be using 55t lathe motors in no time.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
At this rate, we'll be using 55t lathe motors in no time.
Only if we're lucky enough to have the foresight to see why that's a good idea.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #86
Tech Champion

Quote:
wow, thats a beautiful body, i would stray away from silver can, i hate not knowing whats inside!! lol. At this rate, we'll be using 55t lathe motors in no time.
My friend, you're probably a heck of a nice kid but you haven't been around long enough to know your ass from your elbow. On the other hand if Bob Stormer, a past national champion 10th pan driver, tells me Silver Can may be the way to go I'm listening to him. He KNOWS this stuff while you're a well-intentioned comparative newbie.

Think about it. Bob has actually DRIVEN a DB10R, you've seen pictures. Bob has actually DRIVEN on tracks we lay out here at our club (and is the man who figured out how to deal with our carpet/pole interface issues), you don't know us from Adam. When someone (me, in this case) asks a KNOWN authority (Bob) his opinion on a matter there just isn't any call to remark in a contrarian fashion. Sorry to seem harsh, but this isn't the first time I've seen you make observations/recommendations, etc here and elsewhere on RC Tech that I don't believe you're qualified to make.

Also, rule of thumb...if everybody's runnin' one it doesn't matter a whit "what's inside".

Respectfully,

Scottrik

Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Jason,

Car is in the mail. *sigh*

I left the 'vette body on it for ya.

For those that PM'd about the body, it's an HPI #17503

Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Also, Muscle cars, like the 'Vette. Something people recognize and can relate to. I suspect different parts of the world would want to use a body that represents popular culture in their area.
That is a pretty good assessment Bob. I know Im helping somebody out that is working on something and I think this sort of input would be very much appreciated, particularly the input on the powerplant
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #89
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
My friend, you're probably a heck of a nice kid but you haven't been around long enough to know your ass from your elbow. On the other hand if Bob Stormer, a past national champion 10th pan driver, tells me Silver Can may be the way to go I'm listening to him. He KNOWS this stuff while you're a well-intentioned comparative newbie.

Think about it. Bob has actually DRIVEN a DB10R, you've seen pictures. Bob has actually DRIVEN on tracks we lay out here at our club (and is the man who figured out how to deal with our carpet/pole interface issues), you don't know us from Adam. When someone (me, in this case) asks a KNOWN authority (Bob) his opinion on a matter there just isn't any call to remark in a contrarian fashion. Sorry to seem harsh, but this isn't the first time I've seen you make observations/recommendations, etc here and elsewhere on RC Tech that I don't believe you're qualified to make.

Also, rule of thumb...if everybody's runnin' one it doesn't matter a whit "what's inside".

Respectfully,

Scottrik
youre right, im new to electric in general, but dont think i dont know what im doing. Sure there are tons of people out there who run the silver can...in tamiyas (and toys R us cars)... but i dont ever see why rc would turn back in time to go slower. i dont get why people are getting obsessive about slowing these cars down, if people wanted to go slow, then they would be able to buy a nikko, and toy around with that. I highly respect Bob Stormer, and know what an asset he is to RC in general, but why be so naive, and agree that silver can is the way to go? if it were to come to that, i would be out of electric in a heartbeat, and turn to the pure rc form, nitro, where power is actually popular. I understand what you intend to say, and im a very respectful person, but i dont think that "oh look, hes running a crap motor, i guess it must be good". I dont like the signs to come in electric, all the changes are advancing the sport, but probably turning away a lot of people, those who leave the hobby for 2 years would be left in the dust, and wouldnt know what the heck people are running, and its really hard for newbs to get into electric in the first place
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #90
Tech Champion

Quote:
youre right, im new to electric in general, but dont think i dont know what im doing. Sure there are tons of people out there who run the silver can...in tamiyas (and toys R us cars)... but i dont ever see why rc would turn back in time to go slower. i dont get why people are getting obsessive about slowing these cars down, if people wanted to go slow, then they would be able to buy a nikko, and toy around with that. I highly respect Bob Stormer, and know what an asset he is to RC in general, but why be so naive, and agree that silver can is the way to go? if it were to come to that, i would be out of electric in a heartbeat, and turn to the pure rc form, nitro, where power is actually popular. I understand what you intend to say, and im a very respectful person, but i dont think that "oh look, hes running a crap motor, i guess it must be good". I dont like the signs to come in electric, all the changes are advancing the sport, but probably turning away a lot of people, those who leave the hobby for 2 years would be left in the dust, and wouldnt know what the heck people are running, and its really hard for newbs to get into electric in the first place
Yes...putting an exclamation point on my observations.