R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #541
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i see a lot of discussion about running 4 cell, and people claiming that lipo wont work cause its too light.
Then people comment that they had to add 5+ ounces of lead still running 4 cell.
What is wrong with running lipo, and adding 5, 10, 15 etc extra lead on the car?

Over here in AUS, Nimh is all but dead, i dont want to see a potentially awesome class die cause of the cells chosen.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

No problems running lipo in my CRC Gen X 10 here. I find it much easier than nimh which I ran on offroad. Very happy and don't see myself going back to nimh. Yes I have had to add some weights, but the Losi lipo steel battery plate will add some weight to your Gen X 10 so you dont have to add to much lead.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #543
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The biggest problem with lipo is the increased voltage being more difficult to deal with without going to a slower motor. You will need to spend $75.00 on a slower motor you wouldnt normally buy or spend the same on 4 cell packs. You will need to add weight to the car to make it work with lipo. At the IIC they were adding weight to be legal. The tough part on adding the weight to some of the cars like mentioned above is that the cars also need to be balanced to work to there best potenetial. In cars like the gen x10, you need to be careful because adding a central weighted tray alone will not do the trick. The car will not be balanced due to the difference in weight of the electronics. The brushless speedo and a receiver are drasticly different in weight so you will still need to add weight on top of adding a weighted tray. Almost worth it to not run a weighted tray and just stuff the weights on the car to make it easier.

We do run Lipo in our car. We made a weighted tray for our car and it still keeps its perfect balance. This is more due to the design of the car. It was designed to be balanced with electronics in the car.

I dont feel that anyone is totally against running lipo. Its going to always be there. The problem is the voltage. Its just going to be too fast for indoor racing. This is why alot of people are pushing 4 cell for that.
J Concepts

Last edited by protc3; 09-04-2008 at 04:56 AM.
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #544
Tech Adept

Quote:
The biggest problem with lipo is the increased voltage being more difficult to deal with without going to a slower motor. You will need to spend $75.00 on a slower motor you wouldnt normally buy or spend the same on 4 cell packs. You will need to add weight to the car to make it work with lipo. At the IIC they were adding weight to be legal. The tough part on adding the weight to some of the cars like mentioned above is that the cars also need to be balanced to work to there best potenetial. In cars like the gen x10, you need to be careful because adding a central weighted tray alone will not do the trick. The car will not be balanced due to the difference in weight of the electronics. The brushless speedo and a receiver are drasticly different in weight so you will still need to add weight on top of adding a weighted tray. Almost worth it to not run a weighted tray and just stuff the weights on the car to make it easier.
In my opinion, 4 cell is the wrong way. Buying a new motor is much cheaper than buying 3 or 4 Nimh Packs. lipos can be used in touringcars, 2wd buggys/monster, some 4wd buggys etc. 4 cell nimh is jut used in 12th scale and World GT. With lipo, you could also raise the runtime (10min instead of 5, for example)
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #545
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thanks rob for the pic. im for sure gonna get one. always wanted a pan can but didnt really want to return to nimh cell.
s13evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #546
Tech Adept

So, can a slapmaster thrust bearing be used with this car? I know this can be a fairly touchy subject, so I'll just ask if it will work or not.

Daniel
gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 AM   #547
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
In my opinion, 4 cell is the wrong way. Buying a new motor is much cheaper than buying 3 or 4 Nimh Packs. lipos can be used in touringcars, 2wd buggys/monster, some 4wd buggys etc. 4 cell nimh is jut used in 12th scale and World GT. With lipo, you could also raise the runtime (10min instead of 5, for example)
Thats cool. People can really run what they like. The point is that most of the cars will accept a lipo pack. Ours will fit both saddle or stick pack as will others
J Concepts
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #548
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramm View Post
So, can a slapmaster thrust bearing be used with this car? I know this can be a fairly touchy subject, so I'll just ask if it will work or not.

Daniel

The thrust bearing will work fine
J Concepts
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #549
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Jason i'm buying the car and spares tomorrow from the HS in Australia we discussed through PM , thanks .Can't wait to finally have a pan car
I think he will be getting the Jaco tires from you as well so i am going to order double pinks from him .

I saw that you were in the Jaco world GT control tire thread , how do you think the lilacs will work on high grip outdoor asphalt , those carbon fibre wheels look great and the price for them with the lilac compound is great .

I think they might be ideal for me as long as the grip is good since lilac is longer wearing , and since i will be running practice sessions for fun since we don't have a class for these cars yet and on non club days.
ffactory666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #550
Tech Lord

I think the Lilac tire is going to be great for most conditions. For lower bite you will need to go to a softer tire but for most medium to high bite carpet and asphalt, they will work great.
J Concepts
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #551
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

hey J,
If you have any more of the lipo trays for the DB10R available please put one in the mail box for me...You still have my info right?? Ijust want to tinker around with a 17.5 and a 21.5 I have laying around.
Thanks,
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #552
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
It's not the wrong way if you already have all the equipment from a TC or buggy. With 4-cell you can use the 10.5T, 19T or Mod motor from another car to go GT10 racing, and most (if not all) LiPo chargers can also charge NiMh.

If you haven't used the latest EnerG or EP cells for Mod, and the Orion SHO (Euro spec) cells for Stock, you maybe not aware that the problems with the IB cells are no longer present. The cells stand up as well as LiPo, and they are easy to maintain.

It's a shame that this class is being pushed around by a few people who want everything to run LiPo, when in fact we are getting people coming in who just get on with the class as it is. In hte UK, we will have a class for people who want to play around with LiPo, but that's only to be welcoming. They will soon come over to NiMh when they can't overcome the problems that Jason talks about above.

The class is for 4-cell NiMh - if you don't want to run that, perhaps you'd be better off in another class?
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #553
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have added weights on top of using the steel lipo tray. I agree that these cars could be way to fast for an indoor or smaller track. I run at a large track where 1/8 nitro's run and these cars are perfect for this type of environment. I did run on a smaller track and did see how a fast motor with lipo could be too fast for the track, I could not fully gun the motor. Unlike the larger track I could actually gun the motor on the straight. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there might be some interest in a pro10 class at this track as none of the gt bodies work well at the track. I use a lola body and makes a big difference. I can see the concern of these kits being way to fast but I am sure once local tracks set the rules down the GT class will be good with lipo's and people will learn how to balance thier car, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post

We do run Lipo in our car. We made a weighted tray for our car and it still keeps its perfect balance. This is more due to the design of the car. It was designed to be balanced with electronics in the car.

I dont feel that anyone is totally against running lipo. Its going to always be there. The problem is the voltage. Its just going to be too fast for indoor racing. This is why alot of people are pushing 4 cell for that.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #554
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hers's a couple picks of my 10R with lipo's. (I just coul'nt bring myself to puting round cells in it). The packs are Common Sense RC 2000mah 7.4 ran in parallel(giving 4000mah). They fit great with no mods or rasing the deck. The car is a touch under weight which will allow me to put weight where needed.
Attached Thumbnails
BMI DB10R!!!-img_1357.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-img_1359.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-img_1360.jpg   BMI DB10R!!!-img_1361.jpg  
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #555
Tech Adept

Quote:
The class is for 4-cell NiMh - if you don't want to run that, perhaps you'd be better off in another class?
Like I said, it's just my owm opinion. I race in a open Pro10 class. Just 17t brushed and 9.5t Brushless is allowed at a maximum voltage of 7.4V (All batteries are allowed, Nimh, Nicd, Lipo, Life etc.). the most people run Lipo's, some run theyr old GP3700 Nimh, and me LiFe.We race at very small to big outdoortracks and it works fine...
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote