Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Chassis design idea, mid-motor mid-mounted saddlepack style... >

Chassis design idea, mid-motor mid-mounted saddlepack style...

Chassis design idea, mid-motor mid-mounted saddlepack style...

Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Lightbulb Chassis design idea, mid-motor mid-mounted saddlepack style...

So i was looking at chassis pics and stuff...and i notce 2belt drivetrains are the same now as they were with when the HPI Pro came out (and Pro2, heck even the Pro3). Chassis designs all look similar, im sure its the smaller things and geometrys that make them what they are though. Anyways, ive always wanted to see a wacked out "wow thats weird" chassis design that works very well (this is how i feel about the JRXS-R) and thought up of my own.

After looking it, i realized that has never been done because the belts would have to sit too high. So realizing that while sitting here, i drew up this one..

That one looks maybe better? I figure the ESC and RX can go in other places then where i drew them (like down the center behind the battries maybe).

Have either of these designs been done before at all?

Would be awesome to see inboard mounted canti style shocks as low as possible down the centerline as well...not sure how possible that is tho lol.

Yeah im just throwin out ideas, feel free to shoot them down or comment or give thoughts!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They both look interesting enough.

I think the first one is feasible if the belts go through a tunnel so they are protected.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Well i have a hard time seeing the first one happen cuz most 2-belt or singlebelt mid-motor designs have the belts run pretty low, and if they run high so they can go over the batteries (in my design) that means the spur and layshaft will have to be higher and possibly even the diffs. I can see the second happening more easily tho if the funny long diffs are used (like in the jrxs or Pro3)
Old 02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You need to flip your second one around, otherwise the car would go backwards due to the motor being on the wrong side, would it not?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Also for the second one, you would want to have the servo on the same side as the receiver and ESC. to help balance the car.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
You need to flip your second one around, otherwise the car would go backwards due to the motor being on the wrong side, would it not?
could explain why nobody has done it that way, but i suppose BL motors can reverese their directions and work better than way than brushed motors....or no?

And yea, good point about the servo.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Well i have a hard time seeing the first one happen cuz most 2-belt or singlebelt mid-motor designs have the belts run pretty low, and if they run high so they can go over the batteries (in my design) that means the spur and layshaft will have to be higher and possibly even the diffs. I can see the second happening more easily tho if the funny long diffs are used (like in the jrxs or Pro3)
I remember my JRXS was like that.

But can't the belts run under and over the batts? Maybe I'm thinking out-loud again..
Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have exactly the same layout on my MLPX10P4 From Marty Peterson probably some of you guys know this chassis.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The rc-lab 7.0 had a true mid-mount motor with belt drive. It ran saddle packs but at the rear.
There's no way (on that car at least) that you could run the batteries down the centre. Not sure it'd work easily on anything?

Last edited by tony gray; 10-07-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks similar to the OFNA EOB4 or whatever it is called.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

That layout is much like the old Ofna OB4 (which was the best handling touring car I had ever driven at the time). The batteries were saddle packs, but on each side in the rear of the motor. The servo, receiver, and ESC were in front of the motor.

That RC Lab car is a virtual mirror image of the Ofna car.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

This has all been done before.

To say that today Touring cars are the same as the HPI PRO/PRO2 even the PRO3 If you had compared todays cars with the early Yokomos like the YR-4SP or Schumacher SST99 then maybe, but right now their are no "new" cars running saddle packs alla the PRO/PRO 2 and as far as the PRO3 goes it's more simular to the JRXS-R that anything.

If you had done a search you would have seen this "design a new chassis exersize" has been done more time than i can remember.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You guys are thinking too much about mass centralization across the the chassis. Keep in mind its just as important along the length of the chassis. All the cars gear needs to fit in the smallest square (not rectangle) possible at the center of the chassis.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
You guys are thinking too much about mass centralization across the the chassis. Keep in mind its just as important along the length of the chassis. All the cars gear needs to fit in the smallest square (not rectangle) possible at the center of the chassis.
I remember this being talked about before. The centerline battery and motor pushes alot of weight over either the front of the car or the rear of the car. Not too good for polar moment.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
MLPX10P4 From Marty Peterson

....................R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.