Wiki Posts
Search

New to the forum, and RC cars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the forum, and RC cars.

Figured I post up an intro thread since I just join

My name is Sean, and I'm a 23 year old mechanical engineering student. RC's cars always kinda caught my eye but I never actually made the plunge until recently. I do some casual racing with my real car at local auto crosses and after seeing the tunability of my roomates car I went out and bought one. Its my first RC car (other then the radio shack specials I had as a kid) and I'm still learning quiet a bit...Feel free to post up any words of wisdom

If this is anything like other car forums Ive been on I figure I better post pictures.

HPI Sprint 2 Sport RTR kit

Since the picture I upgraded the motor to a Team Orion 15T Formula 2 Pro BB, much quicker

I also have a one way front diff coming tomorrow.

Next thing I want to buy is a slightly better battery charger. The one I have now takes forever and only goes up to 2.5A (any recommendations for $40-50 NiMH charges would be appreciated)

The real car is a 92 Nissan 240sx, coil over suspension, solid tie rod end links with bump steer adjustment, adjustable front and rear sway bars, OEM Helical limited slip from S15, B&M short shifter, SS brakelines with hawk HPS pads, front bushings replaced with energy suspension polyurethane, and cusco solid motor mounts.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Welcome to RC, Sean. Have patience, stick with it, and you will be rewarded with good times and new friends.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Welcome to RC, Sean. Have patience, stick with it, and you will be rewarded with good times and new friends.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Welcome, Im an rc racer who is gonna start autoX in the summer. Looks like were the opposites.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Welcome, Im an rc racer who is gonna start autoX in the summer. Looks like were the opposites.
I'd be lying if I said the real thing wasn't more fun

These cars are a lot cheaper and easier to work on though...I just need to find a decent track to run it at.

What car you planning on driving for the autox?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm also new to the world of RC... I also bought an HPI Sprint 2. It's pretty good so far except I got a rock lodged in the rear drive belt and had to get a new belt. I figured this was cheaper than autoxing and I wont tear up my real car.
Now I just need to get it to go faster
Attached Thumbnails New to the forum, and RC cars.-0201081307.jpg  
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah, gotta watch out for those pebbles, the belts REALLY don't like them...learned that first hand (and second hand...then second hand again...)

You just gotta make sure its fairly clean where you run them. At least if only like $6. My roomate has the same car and got it caught in the teath of the rear diff and had to buy a new casing.

Autocross isn't THAT hard on cars though, if you rev it up all the way/drive it fast on the street your probably doing as much damage so you might as well autox. If your car is reliable all you need is a helmate...so far the RC has probably cost more
Old 02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

ha yeah a helmet would be cheaper as an initial cost... but then when I need tires and brakes, etc. it adds up to quite a bit. Especially since I'm running on PS2's

Just got another rock lodged in the rear belt and it ended up flipping the belt inside out! Anyone recommend a solution for keeping those little buggers outa there? I live near the beach so can't really escape sand and small rocks
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Rookie

If you find a solution, lemme know...For now I think its just run it on a sealed surface...

Space is tight back there and things can get in easy...I thought about making a small cage outa mesh. but the motor actually sites slightly down into the hole in the chassis and it looked like it would be a pain.

I practice on the basketball court of my apartment when no one is playing...its a nice sealed surface so it stays semi clean. small paved area gets boring semi quick though, I'm trying to just run it on track more.

1 autox does wear tires enough to see...but as long as its not every weekend you would be surprised how gentile it is on the car. You won't go through brakes at all, you don't use them much or go that fast. After an even you can see wear on the tire face (really just the texture looks a little rougher) but really isn't gonna make you change them after a couple events or anything. Even R compounds will last a season.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sean, are you familar with Formula SAE?

That picture of you in the car reminds me of a pic on a FSAE forum.........
Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 04Fire
I'm also new to the world of RC... I also bought an HPI Sprint 2. It's pretty good so far except I got a rock lodged in the rear drive belt and had to get a new belt. I figured this was cheaper than autoxing and I wont tear up my real car.
Now I just need to get it to go faster
Stock (for now) WRX