Wiki Posts
Search

Checkpoint Lipos, what exactly are the cells

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TrakPower 5400/4900

Feedback much appreciated,

Please be advised that I have discussed this matter with an executive at Hobbico Team Checkpoint and they are also in favor of honesty as the best policy. They are cool guys. Might just take a while for info to filter down to front line tech, that's all.

Julian
Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain
Looks like an Xfactory X6. Uses a B4 front end. From what I understand, its supposed to work good really good on blue groove surfaces.

Yes, it's an X-6. With the new 4 gear tranny, it's good on everything.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TrakPower JC
Hello, this is Julian Cox of TrakPower.

This is to confirm that we are having some issues with the Team CheckPoint 5400 at present. About 300 pieces of that OEM pack have been built and released in error with light-weight cells that are normally used for F3A competition aeromodelling for the FlightPower side of our business. We are working hard to resolve this and will announce the availability of the correct 20C version asap. I would invite you to read on for customer service options for users who are affected by this error.

TrakPower TP49002S 25C Race Pack:

The TrakPower TP49002S is a true 25C package with an exclusive TrakPower cell. This pack is currently unsurpassed in the market as a performance race pack. We strongly encourage all users focus attention on the TP49002S as the pack of choice. Duration with the 4900 is well in excess of race conditions and the power density exceeds the 5400 considerably even in the 20C format. Retailers/Dealers in North America can order the TP49002S pack through the same channels as Team Checkpoint or contact FlightPower USA (919) 741 6310.

Current customer service options:

If you have a Team Checkpoint 5400 pack and you are not happy with the performance, please contact [email protected]. He can do one of two things for you immediately: Option A. provide a TP49002S at 50% allowing you to keep the 5400 as a long-duration practice pack, or Option B. Offer you the 25C TP49002S as a straight swap. We will add the option of swapping out to the correct 20C 5400 as soon as practical for those requiring the high capacity option.

Thank you very much for your support!

Julian Cox, CEO
AFT TrakPower
AFT FlightPower
I just purchased a Team Checkpoint 5400 pack (have not even taken it out of the package yet). Is there any way to know if its good or not without running it? I got it at a LHS and he said it had just come in. What do you recommend I do with it?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrakPower JC
TrakPower TP49002S 25C Race Pack:

The TrakPower TP49002S is a true 25C package with an exclusive TrakPower cell. This pack is currently unsurpassed in the market as a performance race pack. We strongly encourage all users focus attention on the TP49002S as the pack of choice. Duration with the 4900 is well in excess of race conditions and the power density exceeds the 5400 considerably even in the 20C format.
Hi JC...You mean that the TrackPower 4900 2S cells are really 25C? So why is TowerHobbies and everyone else that sells them have them at 20C?

Some have told me that there's actually 2 versions of your 4900 2S packs; the original one which is 20C, and the newest version which is 25C? Is this true?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

According to flightpowerusa the 4900 is listed as 25c while the 5400 is listed as 20c. Is the trakpower 5400 the same as the checkpoint?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Where can I get this new trakpower 4900 25C???
Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Have these gone before ROAR yet for approval? I see the checkpoint 5400 on the list but not trakpower 4900. Any ideas when they might get excepted and have the new "ROAR Approved" decals on them. I want to buy 2 of the 4900's, but dont want to buy them now (without decal) if in early 09, I'm gonna get some flack for not having it, and wont be able to use them at the track just over a "decal" issue.
These will easily last me 2-3 years as my ol orion 4800's are going on 2+yrs, but need retirement soon.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

As I understand it from what Dawn Sanchez of ROAR posted, the packs will be grandfathered in and I don't think you will have any issues. She stated this on one of the lipo annoucement threads for guys with older pre approval sticker packs like Orions.

Also, from what I understand, the trakpowers I believe have been submitted. When they will be confirmed, anyones guess. Just need to keep checking ROARs site.

As for what cells are in the trakpower 4900s, when conversing with one of the reps from flightpower they stated that for about a year now they haven't made an official 20C battery in the 4900s, they have been 25Cs, and I think now they are just updating the labels to reflect this. So if you can find the 20C versions going really cheap, may be still worth a buy because of that.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Just bought a pack from my local shop. They do have a new label on the back of the pack which does say its 25C and 122amps...so it seems like they are the updated 25C version
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Just bought a pack from my local shop. They do have a new label on the back of the pack which does say its 25C and 122amps...so it seems like they are the updated 25C version
Where does it say that? Is it under the warning label on the back of the battery? I have not removed the wrap yet.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jag
Where does it say that? Is it under the warning label on the back of the battery? I have not removed the wrap yet.

Thanks.
Take it out of the box, and then look at the back/bottom of the pack...it will have a clear label with warnings and pack amps, voltage, etc...the 4th line from top says: current drawings: 25C 125amp, etc

I got mine from RCHobbies on McNabb and University

Ask for Carlos---he knows where they are
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Take it out of the box, and then look at the back/bottom of the pack...it will have a clear label with warnings and pack amps, voltage, etc...the 4th line from top says: current drawings: 25C 125amp, etc

I got mine from RCHobbies on McNabb and University

Ask for Carlos---he knows where they are
Do you have the phone number? I don't see that information on the back of my battery. All I see is a bunch of "always..." and "never..."
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Check point 5400 lipo

I read these forums all the time but I have never posted a coment... Until today. I have a Check point 5400 lipo and am very happy with it. It has great punch and run time. Compaired to my Orion 4800, the check point 5400 is a better pack.

When I 1st read this about it only being 16C I was mad. Then I looked at my battery and it doesn't say 20c anywhere. I then dug the packaging out of the trash and it doesn't say 20c anywhere either.

So now I'm wondering where I got the idea that it was 20C . Maybe the guy at the hobby shop told me that but I don't remember. What I do remmeber is I thought it was 20c but I have nothing to tell me that it was 20C. So maybe someone somwhere made a mistake. So before we say check point is lying, we should consider that sometimes people make mistakes.

I am still curious who made the mistake. Was it someone at check point or someone on this forum or someone else.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

A note of interest on towerhobbies website the checkpoint pack is rated at 16c. So I wonder where this 20c claim started. I guess what matters is how it performs against the other li-po packs? At 5400mah 16c or 20c none of our cars can take advatage of the amperage anyway. All this li-po stuff is confusing since it is therory and since most of us will never push 80amps of current through our esc so does it matter in all seriousness if it is a 16c pack?

So if anyone has compared this pack to others please post since the bottom line on any battery is how it performs not how it could perform in therory.

-J
Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
the packs will be grandfathered in and I don't think you will have any issues.

Also, from what I understand, the trakpowers I believe have been submitted. When they will be confirmed, anyones guess. Just need to keep checking ROARs site.

Yep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.